“decent food and drink, attentive bartender, waitstaff short-staffed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Century Bar & Grill

Cuisines: French, American, Southwestern
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Houston
“decent food and drink, attentive bartender, waitstaff short-staffed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

There was good conversation and service at the bar. Two barkeeps were knowledgable and friendly. Dinner was good, well-served and fairly priced. There was a large group of guests during our dinner and they demanded the attention of the wait staff. Still, they served us well. The peach cobbler was an appropriate dessert after our steaks.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jessica U, Manager at The Century Bar & Grill, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Henry,
Thank you for your feed back on the Century! I'm glad our staff was accommodating to you as well as knowledgeable about the drinks.we so appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review of us! Hope you will come back and see us all real soon! Thanks again!

Lajitas, Texas
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We arrived around 8:45 and the kitchen was closed, that was ok, so we ordered a few drinks in the bar. After first drink was finished, it took a while to get the attention of the bartender to order another. I am not writing this place off completely, because I didn't get to eat here, but wasn't real impressed with the service.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jessica U, Manager at The Century Bar & Grill, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Terri,
I would like to personally apologize for your poor experience with us, your service was simply unacceptable and I would like to inform you that since your vist more extensive training has been preformed with all the wait staff. We so appreciate your feed back, it is vital for improvement! we would like to offer you some compensation, if you would like to come in and give us another try and have some of our delicious food please contact Sydney Tucker either by phone or email at 4322449323 or info@thehollandhoteltexas.com
Alpine, Texas
“Never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

First off we were told to wait in the lobby for a table. When me and my boyfriend were finally seated it took about 15 minutes to get our drink order. After another 10 minutes we got our drinks and were able to order. After probably 30 minutes or more we received our "salad" that came with the meal. I kid you not it was a bowl of plain lettuce! No nothing not even dressing we asked for. I wish I would of taken a picture of it to prove it. And the waitress didn't ask if we needed anything for it or if they were out of other veggies she did not tell us. We were so aggravated and hungry we cancelled our order paid for drinks and left. Ended up eating dairy queen instead because nothing else was open or was packed. By far the worst restaurant experience of my life!

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
I would like to personal apologize for your experience with us. I am appalled by the service you were provided that night and want to assure you that this matter will be addressed and dealt with thoroughly! we so appreciate your feed back it is vital to the improvement and success of our business. I so hope you will give us a chance to make it up to you and see what we can really do! if you decide to come back please contact Sydney Tucker either by phone or email at 4322449323 or info@thehollandhoteltexas.com so that we may compensate you for all the trouble! Thanks again.
Silsbee, Texas
“Didn't Live Up To It's Reputation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Our group of eight decided to dine here on March 9. We made reservations for 7:30 PM and arrived early for drinks in the bar.

At 7:30, we inquired about our table and were told it was being prepared. And twice more, we had to ask when we were going to be seated. We didn't get a table till about 8:30 PM. No one led us to our table, we were simply directed to the one near the fireplace.

The menus were already in place at our table. But no one came to fill water glasses or take drink/food orders.

We had to chase down a waiter who informed us that wasn't her table. Eventually, another waiter came to take our orders.

The food was a long time in coming. Two in our party who ordered bottles of wine hadn't even gotten them when the food was served. After serving the dinners, the waiter brought out a bottle of red wine and informed us that they didn't have any chilled white wine or clean white wine glasses. A request was made to put a bottle of white wine in a bucket with ice and to bring any available glasses for serving.

I ordered fish crusted with asiago cheese. The fish was either overcooked or had sat under a warming lamp for too long. MY husband . ordered the New York strip steak and 1/2 of it was fat and gristle.

This was definitely not the dining experience that we had expected and we were very disappointed with the service, as well as, the food.

Visited March 2014
I would like to apologize for the poor experience you had with us, that was simply unacceptable! I am appalled by the food and service that was provided to you and I would like you to know that a new wait staff and management has been put in place since your visit here and I hope you will give us a chance to show you what we can really do! As well as the Improvements we've made! if you decide to give us another try please contact Sydney Tucker either by phone or email at 4322449323 or info@thehollandhoteltexas.com
Rockville, Maryland
“West Texas Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We came for dinner at the end of a day that began 80 miles to the south in the wild, magnificent Big Bend Country. It was wonderful to relax with a drink and then enjoy a great meal delivered with first-class service. The restaurant, like the hotel, is a West Texas oasis. As an old fan of "Bonanza," I imagined it as the sort of place where Pa Cartwright, Hoss, Adam, and Little Joe would have liked to go after a long day in the saddle on the Ponderosa. We will be back. We can't imagine a better way to end the day.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Jerry.
I cant thank you enough for your fantastic review of the Century! We are so pleased that we could give you a relaxing and enjoyable end to what sounds like an incredibly long day! and cannot wait to see you again in the future! Thank you again so much we really appreciate you!