“A rare gem for a small town” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Southwestern, French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Alpine, Texas
“A rare gem for a small town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I live in Alpine and have eaten at the Century Bar and Grill several times. I also have over 20 years experience in all facets of restaurant work, from cooking and managing to running wait staff and training employees. The thing that really stands out at the Century B&G is the attentiveness of the staff. Running a good restaurant is all about covering the details, and that's where this place shines. Chef Tammi's approach of making accessible dishes with a South Western flair works really well, and is extremely tasty. The wait staff is always attentive without being pushy, and they know the menu and the wine list very well. You can also tell that these folks approach their work as a team, and it's not unusual for the managers to help bring out food or for the Chef to visit with a table that has a specific question or comment.
It's rare to find these qualities and this level of service in a small town like Alpine, and to me that reflects the commitment of the management and staff to taking the best care of their patrons that they can. If you're in Alpine or the Big Bend and you're looking for an outstanding dining experience, do yourself a favor and stop in to the Century Bar and Grill.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CenturyBarandGrill, Manager at The Century Bar & Grill, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for your review! I am happy that you were pleased with your dining experience. I will pass your feedback on to the staff so that we can continue to strive for pleasant experiences such as yours. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon. Have a great day

McAllen Texas
“Pretty place with slow service at bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stopped in at happy hour for appetizers and a drink. The bartender seemed to be overwhelmed by the relatively small amount of customers and we had to wait for way too long to order a drink. The appetizers were fine, but nothing special.

Visited June 2013
Alpine, Texas
“waiting, waiting, waiting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Being Alpine locals we all decided to try the new brunch offering at the Century (Mothers Day) Things got off to a good start, with mimosas and coffee, and a nice waitress. The food arrived after a good wait and was ok, except one person ordered a salad that did not arrive with the rest of the plates, we waited another 15 minutes, most of the food was eaten and a tiny wilted poorly arranged salad arrived. We then watched the "same" salad pass by with a waitress, and it was stacked and beautiful! Then it was time to leave. We had asked for 3 separate checks at the beginning. 1 party wanted to pay cash and the other two with credit. One parties card was taken and apparently processed quickly, then the confusion began and we were not allowed to leave for a very long time while we waited for this to get sorted out. The first party had left. After about 30 minutes another party handed over a generous $60.00 and said "I'm leaving". The third party then waited another 45(!) minutes to pay out. No mention of our plight was made, nor any compensation offered for these mistakes. Then the first party got a call asking them to come back in to sign the credit slip!!! Somehow we all felt like we were the ones making a mistake. This place needs to work out some management and customer service problems.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Midland, Texas
“Things Have Gone Downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

After reveiwing this restaurant a couple of times and raving about the service and the outstanding food, I'm sorry to report that not only has the service gone downhill, but the menu
food quality and the time it takes to get this run of the mill food is also lacking. We are staying at the Holland Hotel so eatting at their in house restaurant seems like a no brainer, so last night we did, my wife got a Pork Chop, Rice and a Vegitable, I had Salad with Shrimp and what was billed as a Fillet(could have been, but chared badly on the outside,also not I expect on a Medium Rare Steak) with instant mashed Potatoes, and Raw Brocolini, we both had Iced Tea, anyway to make a long story short, with a standard Tip this meal set us back a cool $100 bucks.

Well we decided maybe we had just caught them on a bad night and tried the Century again this evening, The Menu was the same as last night (normally changes somewhat nightly) even the Daily Special didn't change (guess they had left overs) so we decided to just have a Burger. It came with "Fresh" Frozen Fries(like McD's) and took about 30 minutes to get, all in all an average Burger at best,also we both had Iced Tea, and once again with an average tip for the poor young man who waited on us(he was totally lost) the 2 Burgers cost a whooping $36 Bucks.

As you have probably figured, there will not be a 3rd Times the Charm Trip back to the Century Bar & Grill for us this trip. I am really disappointed, as the Century has been such a wonderful place for special occasions, we were here for Thanksgiving and Valentines Day, both times as I reported, the service and food were excellent, but I cannot reccomend it now.

I DO HOPE THINGS CHANGE, I WOULD LOVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO A GREAT DINNING EXPERIENCE ON OUR NEXT TRIP TO ALPINE AND THE BIG BEND, ALSO HOPE THIS OPENS SOME EYES!!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kerrville, Texas
“Worth the trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

After a long day in the Big Bend area we decided to give this place a try. Glad we did. The wait staff are very attentive and friendly. The menu isn't overwhelming but the addition of specials make up for it. The Chef came to the table and even greeted us.

If you ever down that way,give them a try. I think you'll like it.

Visited June 2013