“Cowboy BBQ” 4 of 5 stars

Description: 432-837-5455
Kansas City, MO
“Cowboy BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Western setting, family restaurant. Salza is ZIPPY! Very Good briskit burrito. Chicken Fried Steak was well seasoned with "pretty good" gravy.

Visited September 2012

72% Recommend
Hurst, Texas
“Surprisingly outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I haven’t been quite so pleasantly surprised in ages. When you’re in a town the size of Alpine, to expect four-star quality is just plain silly. This place looks like your average roadside café, with a faux unpainted wood front, attempting to be rustic. Once you go inside the front door, you’re quickly going to determine this place intends to sell Mexican food. I refuse to eat Tex-Mex anything by choice, but we were made aware they had many other things.

Upon being seated, our drinks came promptly. We both ordered an individualized size steak, with asparagus spears, and a dinner salad. They took our order, and went off to the kitchen for a reasonable amount of time. When I got my food, the steaks were luscious, prepared exactly to order, and most importantly the presentation was beautiful. Whoever is cooking really cares about the appearance of their work, and it was very evident. The salads were great, with lots of colorful additions greatly enhancing the visual appeal. But, most of all everything tasted great, and was served promptly and courteously for a fair market price. The only thing seriously lacking was the rolls, which had been re-heated in a microwave until they had become tough.

This place was a real shocker. I would recommend it to anybody, and I’d definitely go back anytime, if still operated by the same leadership. You won’t find tablecloths, or linen napkins, but no expense has been spared on your food or presentation.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Angelo, Texas
“Great food!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My family dined here for dinner and had a great experience. I had the brisket with potato salad and beans and it was all very good. Other members of my family had steak and tacos. Every plate was cleaned and everyone enjoyed their meals. The service was great and the staff friendly. I would definitely recommend the restaurant to anyone traveling through Alpine, TX.

Visited July 2012
Texas
“Decent food, reasonably priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Cowboy Grill is a nice family restaurant. We were there on a Friday evening and the place was full of families. Food was reasonably priced, large portions, and decent. Nothing spectacular, but we would go back if we lived in the area. The place is bright, airy and clean, but service was very slow. Two items that were disappointing. First, they did not serve any alcohol. That surprised us, given their proximity to the Hampton and the Ramada. Second, my husband ordered a baked potato but they brought him french fries. Apparently the baked potatoes weren't done yet (even though it was 7:00 in the evening). Not a big problem, but let the customer decide what he wants to substitute. Don't do it for them. My husband's steak also came with a nice helping of green beans. My Mexican dinner was very good. Dinner for two, with iced tea, was about $30. Very reasonable.

For those traveling through Alpine, as we were, there just isn't a lot in the way of restaurants. Depends on what you want, but this isn't bad.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Fast and friendly enough, but average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The best part of the meal here was the ranch dressing. It was really good. Otherwise, it was just okay. I asked the waitress what the best thing on the menu was. She recommended the chicken fried steak. I don't usually opt for this, but since it was supposedly the best thing on the menu, I gave it a shot. It was very average. Not bad, but it didn't do anything for me. I thought the steak was tougher than it should have been and overall it just wasn't that flavorful. Some of the others in our group also thought it was average food, but some others seemed very satisfied so YMMV. The atmosphere was fine, the food came quickly, and the people were nice enough. These were the good points. But at a restaurant taste matters most and I'd try other places before going back if I am in Alpine again.

Visited July 2012