“Unexpected oasis in Alpine” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Antelope Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alpine
Antelope Lodge
You added Antelope Lodge to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2310 W. Highway 90, Alpine, TX 79830   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Alpine
Velsen, The Netherlands
“Unexpected oasis in Alpine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

nice place to stay, the outside doesn't look fantastic but do stop and stay for a night. Cottages around a garden only no King beds available which is a pity.Parking next to your cottage, rooms with kitchinette look old but clean and so is the bathroom.
Beds are good though not modern but we slept OK. Nice friendly staff. No breakfast on site but very good restaurant half a mile further on. Be sure to sta there one night.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our second visit was just as good as the first. Both rooms had fun western decor and kitchenettes. Yes, the bathrooms are small, but that's part of staying at a real vintage motel. We didn't have a problem with that. The exteriors are quaint, so it's nice to sit outside and enjoy the tile roofs and semi-circle courtyard.

We also noted that the prices have gone up since our last visit several years ago. So it might seem high in comparison to other area hotels that are significantly nicer and also have the vintage feel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. We're glad that you had a great time, and look forward to seeing you again.

I'd like to address your comment about our rates in comparison with other hotels in the area. The Lodge is unique and we strive to provide a unique experience. There are only two other lodging places in Alpine that might fit the criteria you mentioned, and both of them are significantly more expensive than we are. In the past several years we have purchased new furniture, upgraded amenities, replaced air conditioners, and made many other improvements to the Lodge which we feel add to the guest's comfort and the quality of their experience. Our rates put us in a category by ourselves, below the new, chain hotels and the other two historic properties, and slightly above the bargain and budget motels.

We strive to provide guests with a friendly atmosphere and a wonderful, relaxing experience. We will continue to upgrade our facilities and add new amenities as we can .
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I love the Antelope Lodge! It is charming and funky. What I really loved was that it clean, easily accessible to the many places we wanted to visit in the Big Bend area and it was not your everyday, run of the mill lodging. The staff were a great bunch of people…everybody was so super nice and when we needed anything, they were Joanie’s- on -the- spot. Being able to park the car by our room was wonderful…made it so easy to load up and head out. What I also loved is that the courtyard was a great place to relax….it was so quiet and really beautiful. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

On a trip to West Texas to see the Marfa lights, we stayed at the Antelope Lodge. I had been looking for clean and cheap since lodging in Marfa is ridiculously expensive. The Antelope Lodge fit the bill. The owners were extremely courteous, no one had the room next to us, so it was a quiet night. The only "complaint" that I have is that the shower didn't get as hot as I wanted, but to be fair, I do take really hot showers. The ice machine wasn't accessible after dinner hours, so that was another drawback, but didn't ruin our experience one bit. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Lake Kiowa, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I spent my honeymoon here, as a base to travel throughout Big Bend. What a memorable trip! The staff threw an impromtu party for us - completely unexpected - and were so friendly and courteous. My new wife had not been to Big Bend before, although she is much better traveled than I, and was very impressed. She liked the "cabin" type atmosphere a lot, and having the kitchen helped us conserve money.

I've paid a lot more to stay places, but never had a better experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Georgetown, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The price was a little high for what you get BUT for a cozy, unique motel the Antelope Lodge was a gem. You get kitchenette, hot shower, and a clean room. Management was very friendly. Located near the railroad tracks but never heard a train except at 7 PM. The room has cable television. There is a bench and chairs right outside the room to sit and enjoy the evening. The buildings are two rooms. So only one neighbor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We used to stay at the Antelope every year. Over the past few years it has changed. The rates have gone up ($85 compared to $99 for a super clean Hampton Inn), and the quality has gone down. This wasnt my first time in room 23, and I can say it has been better. Roaches on the bathroom floor. Barking neighbor dogs that went on half the night, making a relaxing evening on the porch impossible. No ice available. Shower water was inconsistant, moving to scalding hot without any warning.

I love the historical motor court concept, but for my money Ill be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you no longer care for the Lodge. To address your specific concerns, let me first say that the rooms have been significantly upgraded over time, with new air conditioners, furniture and fixtures, and everything that hasn't been replaced has been rehabbed. And communication is the key to solving the other problems, and you didn't communicate with us while you were at the Lodge. The "roaches" in the bathroom weren't german cockroaches, but a big bug that comes in to get cool on the tile floor. They do not eat things inside and carry no diseases that I know of. That being said, accept my apology for those critters. Had you told us about them when you were a guest, we could have done something to remove them. We use diatomaceous earth all around the buildings to keep them out, and the wind often blows it away. We could have removed the bugs that were there and renewed the diatomacteous earth aeround the building to keep them from coming back. We use diatomaceous earth rather than poison, although it is not fool-proof like poison is, because of our concern for the environment and the health of our guests. Also, if you had let us know about the dogs, we could have taken steps to find out where they were and have them moved indoors so they wouldn't bother you. Ice is available when the office is open, and calling the night service number when the office is closed would have gotten that for you. As for the scalding shower, again, I apologise. I will check into whatever may have caused that, and get it fixed. Had you spoken to us during your stay, all the problems could have been handled at that time. Or, we would have given you your money back and you could have stayed someplace else.

Been to Antelope Lodge? Share your experiences!