“Charming and funky” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Alpine
Dallas, Texas
“Charming and funky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I love the Antelope Lodge! It is charming and funky. What I really loved was that it clean, easily accessible to the many places we wanted to visit in the Big Bend area and it was not your everyday, run of the mill lodging. The staff were a great bunch of people…everybody was so super nice and when we needed anything, they were Joanie’s- on -the- spot. Being able to park the car by our room was wonderful…made it so easy to load up and head out. What I also loved is that the courtyard was a great place to relax….it was so quiet and really beautiful. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

On a trip to West Texas to see the Marfa lights, we stayed at the Antelope Lodge. I had been looking for clean and cheap since lodging in Marfa is ridiculously expensive. The Antelope Lodge fit the bill. The owners were extremely courteous, no one had the room next to us, so it was a quiet night. The only "complaint" that I have is that the shower didn't get as hot as I wanted, but to be fair, I do take really hot showers. The ice machine wasn't accessible after dinner hours, so that was another drawback, but didn't ruin our experience one bit. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Lake Kiowa, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I spent my honeymoon here, as a base to travel throughout Big Bend. What a memorable trip! The staff threw an impromtu party for us - completely unexpected - and were so friendly and courteous. My new wife had not been to Big Bend before, although she is much better traveled than I, and was very impressed. She liked the "cabin" type atmosphere a lot, and having the kitchen helped us conserve money.

I've paid a lot more to stay places, but never had a better experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Georgetown, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The price was a little high for what you get BUT for a cozy, unique motel the Antelope Lodge was a gem. You get kitchenette, hot shower, and a clean room. Management was very friendly. Located near the railroad tracks but never heard a train except at 7 PM. The room has cable television. There is a bench and chairs right outside the room to sit and enjoy the evening. The buildings are two rooms. So only one neighbor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We used to stay at the Antelope every year. Over the past few years it has changed. The rates have gone up ($85 compared to $99 for a super clean Hampton Inn), and the quality has gone down. This wasnt my first time in room 23, and I can say it has been better. Roaches on the bathroom floor. Barking neighbor dogs that went on half the night, making a relaxing evening on the porch impossible. No ice available. Shower water was inconsistant, moving to scalding hot without any warning.

I love the historical motor court concept, but for my money Ill be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you no longer care for the Lodge. To address your specific concerns, let me first say that the rooms have been significantly upgraded over time, with new air conditioners, furniture and fixtures, and everything that hasn't been replaced has been rehabbed. And communication is the key to solving the other problems, and you didn't communicate with us while you were at the Lodge. The "roaches" in the bathroom weren't german cockroaches, but a big bug that comes in to get cool on the tile floor. They do not eat things inside and carry no diseases that I know of. That being said, accept my apology for those critters. Had you told us about them when you were a guest, we could have done something to remove them. We use diatomaceous earth all around the buildings to keep them out, and the wind often blows it away. We could have removed the bugs that were there and renewed the diatomacteous earth aeround the building to keep them from coming back. We use diatomaceous earth rather than poison, although it is not fool-proof like poison is, because of our concern for the environment and the health of our guests. Also, if you had let us know about the dogs, we could have taken steps to find out where they were and have them moved indoors so they wouldn't bother you. Ice is available when the office is open, and calling the night service number when the office is closed would have gotten that for you. As for the scalding shower, again, I apologise. I will check into whatever may have caused that, and get it fixed. Had you spoken to us during your stay, all the problems could have been handled at that time. Or, we would have given you your money back and you could have stayed someplace else.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I live in San Antonio and seek the great out doors on a regular basis. When I feel the need to wonder I go to Alpine Texas and stay at the Antelope Lodge. This Lodge has everything one could ask for beautiful surroundings awesome rocks ( I am a rockhound) places to sit outside, clean, affordable, delightful and helpful management. If you are planning a vacation to Alpine,Texas and the surrounding area and don"t stay at the Antelope you have cheated yourself. Julia Maple

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Star, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This Inn is a modernized, step back into time, with all the amenities. The management and help are delightful and so very accomodating! It's the way the world used to be. Quiet, charming, comfortable, and scenic. Their center courtyard is lovely, with picnic benches and a fireplace, under large sprawling trees, and the office has coffee and hot tea going non-stop! We stayed in both a single room and a suite, and both were delightful! Built in the 40's, but updated, it has touches of 'home' with lovely plates, paintings and the like on the wall, but so different from the modern streamlined motels you find today. It snowed 8" while we were there, and the manager, Brenda provided us with popcorn and hot chocolate to cozy in with! There is a wonderful gift shop filled with beautiful hand-made native American jewelry as well as stones and geodes to buy, a lending library, I cannot say enough wonderful things about this Inn and it's management. It reminds me of places I've stayed in Europe. We highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are further from highway, but noise doesn't seem to be a problem in the suite...