“Great food, great staff -- even without electricity!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Forney, Texas
“Great food, great staff -- even without electricity!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I just returned from a delightful experience at Kenny's. What made it delightful was the cheerful staff when electrical power was lost along about a 2 mile stretch which included Kenny's. Despite not being able to serve hot food, wash dishes and see in the dark, the staff remained calm, cool and collected with great senses of humor. Everyone, including the guests, realized this was not a restaurant problem and simply accepted the situation and made the most of it.

I was able to try only the lobster deviled eggs which, it turned out, was plenty for my dinner along with the Texas-sized popover. I had planned to try the beef tenderloin crostini and the wood-grilled oysters but was unable to do so.

I sat at the chef's table, used my cell phone flashlight when I needed it, enjoyed my glass of wine and simply had a good time with other diners and the staff even though I was dining alone.

As I left, I complimented the manager on the cheerfulness of the staff and their "can do, carry on" attitude. He not only thanked me but offered a $20 gift certificate for my next visit.

Alas, I live out of town but not that far. This place just might entice me to drive a little bit and try the items I missed this time.

If it were possible, I would give Kenny's more than 5 stars. And, I rarely rate restaurants this highly.

• Visited April 2014

DFW, Texas
“Best Burger Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Oh, my goodness!!! I make some pretty good burgers myself on the grill, but nothing like this. The woodfire taste really made this one stand out. We ordered the mushroom and brie burger medium rare. They came out perfectly and were Truly Outstanding. So much so, we had to try it a second time on Easter Sunday. Even though, not on the menu for that day, they still prepared them and they were Awesome!

Third time back, we will try out the steaks. I'm sure they will be great as well. You have to try this place.

• Visited April 2014
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Over the top!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Thursday night. Approximately one hour wait. Main dining room table wasn't ready so we were asked if we would like to sit at the chef's table (bar)? We love to cook and maybe we would learn something new, so "Sure, why not?" Immediately greeted by a managing partner who was very polite and introduced us to Devin, our waiter. He offered us a complimentary appetizer because of our wait, which wasn't that bad for 7:30 on a Thursday night. The chef concocted a medley of seared tuna, oysters gruyere and crabmeat deviled eggs. All amazing! Fresh out of the oven popovers and a very nice, yet relatively inexpensive, cabernet. My wife had the grilled shrimp and scallops while I had the sea bass. Everything was delicious and the service was like I said, "Over the top!" We were celebrating my wife's birthday and to make it all extra special we were treated to crème brulee. All in all a great evening and we will be back!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas
“Good place to meet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Don't let the fact that it's in a strip center next to a Jason's deli fool you. The food is very good and the service is fantastic. It is a "smallish" place so it can get a little loud at lunch. One other high point is that is does serve later than most places and the bar is fun!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have been past this restaurant many times but did not know it was there till a Trip Advisor review. Thank goodness for Trip Advisor. All the reviews were spot on, this is a great place to go. We had the lunch menu with the onion soup "fantastic", the greek salad, the half pound crab cake"fantastic" and the 6 oz steak. It was very very good. The waiter was great and being that we were there the first time, they gave us a sample of the steak appetizer. The decor inside is so different than the exterior- it was just what we like, dark, nicely done with low lighting. The bar area is quite large and they told us all of their drinks are "doubles". We need try next time. We will be back again for sure. They did advise to get reservations since it is very full most of the time. We were there at 3:30 and it was about half full even then.

• Visited December 2013