“The suites to choose in Addison” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   15200 Addison Rd, Addison, TX 75001 (Formerly Addison Galeria Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Addison
GreenLeadersSilver level
Upstate New York
“The suites to choose in Addison”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed for three days and normally don't stay at places this affordable, but for what it is it deserves every one of these five stars.

Front desk staff are always nice and professional, and when I locked myself out of my room like a dumb dumb it was less than a minute for her to verify my ID and swipe me a new card. Nice. Check-in was equally painless.

The room is great, really. The fridge is full-sized, everything in the kitchen works, and you're given enough to work with you can cook a real meal. My only complaint is the bowls; eating cereal out of bowls this shallow could be an olympic sport.

The bed is surprisingly comfortable. Also in the bedroom you have one of your two flatscreen TVs. It's a good thing I don't have this at home, I'd be more lazy than I am already. I wish there were more station selection, but I think that's the nature of Texas. Enjoy your sports. The room is nice and dark at night, and noise was never an issue. To be more direct, I didn't get the impression on either of my two stays that the Hawthorn really fills up. Bad for them, but good for you. Maid service is prompt and the room is very clean. The closet is full-size.

The bathroom is what you'd expect, clean and rife with large yet somewhat starchy towels. The soap is caustic enough you'll be clean, and if you have dry to normal skin, end up wondering why you didn't bring lotion. Oh, that's right, because it wasn't in a 3oz TSA approved bottle. But, seriously, pack your own soap.

Beyond poking fun, my only real concern was the security. Out back there was enough window glass on the ground it looked like one or more cars had been broken into. Really, just park your car at the front of the building and I'm sure you'd be fine. I was. The area otherwise isn't dodgy and I never felt uncomfortable.

I'm going to close by comparing this place to Homewood Suites, which is currently listed as the number two place to stay in Addison. To cut it short, choose the Hawthorn. It's cheaper, quieter, and every bit as nice. For a bonus, the staff is also much more friendly and helpful, and I found the area to be somewhat nicer.

I've now stayed twice at Hawthorn and once at Homewood; I plan on staying at the Hawthorn in the future, and I think that about sums it up. This isn't a four or five star establishment, but for the price point it's fantastic.

Happy travels.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
HawthornGM, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Teambert,

Thank you for taking the time to express your feelings about the Hawthorn Suites Addison. Your advice to our future guests and to us is taken very seriously. I know how you feel about the fully equipped kitchenettes. It is nice to cook your own meals especially if you are trying to save money for shopping or entertainment. The full size fridge is nice to have too.
The single queen suite you stayed in does have the two 32" flat screen HDTV's, but next time try our single king; it has one 42” HDTV and it swivels for your comfort.

Also wanted to share that as you move into 2012, there are changes headed our way with our breakfast and with our soaps. These changes will add variety to our breakfast and softness to your shower. Please be patient as these changes are introduced.

We are in a secure area, with security cameras throughout the hotel. As you said, we need your help to stay safe and protect your belongings. Take your items into the hotel, were they would be safe rather than in your car in view of a possible thief.

Again, thank you for your detailed description of your recent stay with us at the Hawthorn Suites Addison. It is much appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chavannes-de-Bogis, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I found a great deal online for an American Girl Package at the Hawthorn. The staff was wonderful! When we arrived my daughter received a special gift that went way beyond my expectaions! The location was perfect to great restaurants as well. We visited the Melting Pot and The Magic Time Machine. After our first night, we had so much fun that my daughters wanted to stay another night! The rooms were clean, quiet, and spacious. The breakfast bar was really good! My oldest daughter is already planning HER birthday return! When I left, I forgot a nice shirt hanging in the closet and they mailed it to me very quickly. I will return!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Mother-daughter trip,

We are very happy your American Girl trip was so successful. It was a pleasure serving all of you. There are many choices of entertainment in Addison for the young and young at heart. Your next visit to the Hawthorn Suites Addison should be just as special as the first. With all the shopping and restaurants you are sure to have a good time. Please contact us when you are ready to plan your next trip and we will ensure everything is set for the next memorable weekend at the Hawthorn Suites Addison. Make sure Dad is ready for the extra night, or maybe two!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 3 weeks in April 2011 and I must say that I would go back without hesitation. This was my first time staying in th area and was a little worried about the hitel accomodatins, but when I got to this hotel, from the beginning, I was wowed by the staff and then when I got to my room, I was pleasantly surprised with the space, cleanliness, and ghe view.

The staff of the jotel is amazing, from the managers to the service staff. The breakfast area is small, but their breakfast is really nice and unlike other hotels, it's always nice to have a hot breakfast.

The hotels is quiet, but sometimes with kids running around, you might feel some vibrations on the floor. It is very conveniently located in the middle of the Addison area, a restaurant paradise.

This property might not be luxurious, but it is one of the best hotels I have stayed at! Great value for your money too!

• Stayed April 2011
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

I sent my employee to this location for a convention. They got nothing but good reviews for it! We're also part of the Wyndham hotel group (ramada) also and we're glad such establishment existed. Will definitely send more employees to this location in the future!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Good cheap hotel with great happy hour and free bus service to local ammenities, staff were friendly and rooms were quiet and comfortable. Springs bar is a 5 min ride away in the complementary transport and serve good food. Also left my wedding ring in the room and the staff fedexed it to me the same day.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
HawthornGM, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Dear Craigypo,
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. It is through guests like you that make the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison a great place. We include a full hot buffet breakfast to your rate to help start you off on the right foot. The happy hour is perfect way to start to your evening, with beer, wine and snacks. As you said we are located to many restaurants that you can walk to, or on Monday - Friday use the shuttle, we can drive you within 3 miles.
Please visit us again. If it is before the end of summer you can enjoy or outdoor pool, but if it too cold by the time you return you can enjoy our extended HDTV programming on a 42" TV! Give us a call and we will be happy to make your return reservation.
Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011 via mobile

Front desk was clueless and rude. Room was OK but beginning to show age. If you are expecting service and a relaxing stay, go elsewhere. Never will I stay are another Wyndham property in my life based on my experience here

• Stayed June 2011
Raj_Texas, Owner at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. This was an unfortunate situation, your credit card had not been charged prior to check-in (standard procedure in the hotel industry). Upon arrival you refused to verify your credit card and drivers license, this is for your own security and to prevent identity theft. Unfortunately we are unable to give away a free room and we are required to collect payment. We apologize that this resulted in poor customer service. Please let us know what we could have done differently to collect payment or ask for payment that would have met your expectations. We are glad that you decided to stay with us for 4 nights in the end. We believe that was because of our competitive rates, great location, and excellent renovated room. Thank you.
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed here three nights in June, 2011. We left our 18-month old with the grandparents and headed to the hotel for much-needed rest and relaxation.

Pros:
* Great location for dining out (Belt Line Rd. in Addison has dozens of all kinds of restaurants)
* King suite has plenty of space
* 42" flat screen TV
* Free breakfast buffet was good -- scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, cereal, etc. -- nothing award-winning, but far better than the typical "continental breakfast" offered at many hotels
* A/C worked well -- critically important for a pregnant woman in June in North Texas!
* Elevator -- also helpful for a pregnant woman or anyone who struggles with stairs
* Full kitchen in suite with refrigerator / freezer, microwave, stove top, dishwasher, plates and utensils.
* Free Wi-Fi

Cons:
* Very noisy A/C and bathroom vent. When both were going, we had to raise our voices considerably just to have a conversation across the suite.
* Locals (I presume) hanging around in the parking lot and at the front door of the hotel. Several times when entering / exiting the parking lot in my car I had to stop and wait for small groups of young males, shorts dragging on the ground, to slowly walk out of the way so I could enter the lot and drive to a parking stall. They stared at me and acted like they owned the place (so I assume they were locals). Didn't exactly inspire confidence that I or my vehicle would be safe. I felt fortunate that nothing was done to my vehicle or taken from it.
* Guests smoking immediately outside the only entrance to the hotel. No way to avoid the second hand smoke going in our out. Not a problem, I suppose, if you enjoy cigarette smoke. We don't.
* Seriously banged-up fixtures and furniture in the room (see photos.) Apparently upkeep and maintenance of the rooms is a low priority. When I see cracks in the walls and scratches on the furniture, it makes me nervous. What existing damage might they try to blame on me and charge me for after I check out?

As bad as the "Cons" list sounds, overall we felt it was a nice stay. What we wanted most of all was peace and quiet so we could rest. Inside our room we heard no noise from other guests. We got lots of sleep and felt our privacy was respected.

One time I pressed the "housekeeping" button on the room phone. The front desk attendant answered. I asked for a couple of fresh bath towels. The attendant pleasantly informed me there was no one available to bring them to the room, but I was able to quickly go down to the front desk and pick them up. Not a problem. But I did wonder about the number of staff on hand.

Twice during our stay the front desk called our room at 11:30am to ask if we would be staying over. Check-out time was noon. I guess they were in a hurry to get us out if we weren't staying another day...? Maybe the housekeeping staff was light and needed to get a jump on things. The hotel didn't seem busy so I'm sure room turnover wasn't the issue. Maybe this is just standard practice but it seemed odd.

We both felt the bed was not very comfortable. Of course, this is a very subjective thing. Some people prefer a soft mattress top, some people prefer one that is more stiff. Compared to the "Heavenly beds" at some other hotels, this was not as soft or as pleasant to sleep on. The mattress springs creaked and squeaked a little bit.

Upon checking in, the man and woman at the desk barely acknowledged us. They weren't unfriendly, they just weren't very welcoming, either. When I went to check out a manager was training a new employee on the computer. They were friendlier although I had to wait a minute for the manager to show her what to do.

We used airline miles so the entire stay cost us nothing. This does color our opinions of the stay. If we had paid full price we probably would feel there are better hotels to stay at in the area. As it was, we felt our stay was okay, but not something we'll remember years from now.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
HawthornGM, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear “BenJudy“

First of all congrats on your pregnancy. I know it can be uncomfortable in the heat and I am glad we were able to provide a cool place to relax. The Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham - Addison is an all suite hotel who wants to be your home away from home. From the kitchenette with everything you need to the homemade hot breakfast and the refreshing outdoor pool, the oversized king suite gives you the space to stretch out and enjoy the 42” HDTV.

We do apologize for the locals you encountered during your stay, it is possible they may have been headed to many of the places nearby; Although Addison has so much to offer it is usually a quite place to be as you enjoy your choice of food from the many places within a short walking distance. Security is never an issue with our location and our security cameras.

I assure you we do not charge for the normal wear on the room and would have happily moved you to a more comfortable room, given the chance. Please keep that in mind and revisit the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, we would like to show you we are “not bad”, but surely more than “nothing special”

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham? Share your experiences!