“Really great Hotel and employees” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Abilene
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Really great Hotel and employees”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel is just about 1/2 block away from a Roadhouse restaurant and bar which is very convenient. The hotel was clean, flat screen tv, (thank goodness no HBO), they provide you with a local newspaper, (nice touch), the lighting in the rooms has improved dramatically as they have replaced many of the "green" dangerous mercury squiggly light bulbs with regular light bulbs, and of course the usually outstanding Holiday Inn staff and free breakfast. I would recommend this location to everyone !!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Just wanted to say how helpful the front desk staff was. it was a reward night and she was able to get a great room for my family. I would recommend this hotel to anyone

San Angelo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks while I was in Abilene for business. Although the rooms are nice and clean, they do need some updating. Upon arrival on Sunday night, it was discovered that my reservation had been made incorrectly- I was supposed to be scheduled to stay for five nights but they had me down for seven, although I had called to make the reservation on the previous Tuesday and had called yet again on Friday to verify it.The first week I stayed here I was in a room right down the hall from the lobby. It was so incredibly loud at night- the front desk staff would laugh and talk on the phone late at night- so loud that they woke me up several times. I complained about this to the owner on Tuesday (my third day) and he said he would take care of it. That night, the same thing happened. I heard the front desk staff laughing and talking like it was 2 in the afternoon when it was past 11:00 at night. On Wednesday night, I had to call in two noise complaints for my neighbors, and nothing was ever done by the staff. I listened to see if they went to the room and asked them to quiet down, but no one ever came. On Thursday afternoon, I received a call from Simi, one of the owners and she questioned me as to why my things were still at the hotel. I told her I was scheduled to stay Thursday night and check out Friday morning. She told me that I had not made a reservation for Thursday night, and that I was supposed to check out that day. I told her that this was incorrect. So she took a minute and said that it was okay, I could stay at the hotel but I would have to change rooms because other guests were coming. So, although I had been staying there for nearly a week in a room with a King sized bed and the other guests that had not yet arrived were coming for the EXACT SAME type of room, I, THE ONE WHO HAD BEEN THERE FOR SEVERAL DAYS, was going to have to move. I told her no, that this made no sense and the other guests could go stay in a different room because it would make no difference to them since they weren't there yet. She took a few more minutes, came back and said "I guess you won't have to change rooms." I told her that that was good, because I wasn't going to anyway. On Friday morning, I complained and expressed all the issues I'd had to the other owner, Simi's husband- I don't know his name- upon checkout. He was very apologetic and told me I would be upgraded to a King sized suite for the next week. So the next Sunday night, I returned to the hotel. I checked in, went to my suite, only to find out that they had given me a handi-capped suite, although I am 22 years old and definitely NOT handi-capped. The suite also had a cracked tub and the tub's drain was totally broken. I called the front desk and told them that I had been put in a handi-capped suite and I did not need it. So they moved me to a non-handi-capped suite, as the front desk staff stated "there are plenty of them." I find it funny that the owners placed me, the one who complained, in a busted up handi-capped suite, but my co-worker, who did not complain, was given a non-handi-capped suite that was in much better shape. There was no reason to give a 22 year old a handi-capped suite! Although the stay this time was much quieter since we were away from the lobby. I had no other troubles this stay, or so I thought until I got home. As I was going over my travel paperwork, I realized the hotel had charged me the wrong amount for the second week. As a state employee, I am supposed to receive my lodging for $77/per night in Abilene (it varies by location). On the first week, I got the $77/per night rate. However, on the second week, I was charged $85/per night. Just this morning, I called the owners and spoke with the husband. He said that I had "gotten lucky" because they hadn't checked my state ID the first week and had thought I was with the federal government. This was absurd because they definitely had checked my state ID, and my agency's name was clearly printed across the top of the hotel receipt for BOTH the first and second week. When I told him this, he said "I don't know why your supervisor is making excuses for you. The rate is $85/per night." I had my supervisor call and she told him the same thing I had, that I was overcharged for the entire second week (and that every other hotel in Abilene gives state employees the $77/per night), he was just as rude to her and told her to "get on his website and it states that his state rate is $85/per night." She told him that he is not the one who gets to dictate the state rate, and that the only person who can decide the state rate is the Texas comptroller. She also told him that she had a form from the Texas comptroller that she was going to fax him that contained the information of Abilene's hotel rate for state employees, which was stated as $77/per night. At this, the owner promptly hung up on my supervisor and none of us have been able to reach him since. I will absolutely never stay there again. The owners are shady, manipulative liars. They are incredibly rude and obviously do not care about the satisfaction of their guests.

Room Tip: My tip is to not stay here at all, unless you enjoy dealing with rude owners who will lie to you at...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Express Abilene Mall, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Jessica M,

I am most concerned to read your comments. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Pasadena, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Have stayed here multiple times,nice clean rooms,excellent breakfast area,rooms need some updating(TV's).............Recently rates varied greatly if your rate matters.....Also you may not know that Southwest Airlines is no longer a Priority Club choice and that matters to me !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Abilene Mall, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear arryw58,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.
I appreciate your loyalty to our hotel.
Your comments about the TV needing to be upgraded will be taken
into account. And it is true that South West is no longer one of our partners.
I look forward to seeing you again.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

My family stayed here one night while passing through Abilene. We were very happy with the hotel. The room was clean and odorless, and the beds and pillows were comfortable. We did have some trouble getting to sleep because of music outside our door, but it turned out to be coming from the lobby, and the staff was happy to lower the volume where we couldn't hear it.

The breakfast area is the best I've seen in a long time... spacious, well furnished, and beautifully decorated. Also a good spread of food. It really left a positive impression.

Another bonus, the hotel is very close to a Walmart, so easy access to groceries or any forgotten necessities.

Room had fridge, microwave, and free wifi.

I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The lobby plays music throughout the night. If the room is too close, you may be able to hear it, b...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed 10/29 at this HI Express on our return to Houston on a driving trip to Colorado. Nice location and friendly staff. Clean and modern. Breakfast was good run-of-the-mill HI Express, and despite a high school tennis team eating there, there was plenty of food for all.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Clovis, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed here overnight while traveling, and we had no complaints. The front desk staff (including the night crew since we arrived so late) as well as other staff were friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable. We appreciated them accepting small pets. The breakfast was good. The location was fine, and had we stayed longer, I'm sure we would have appreciated the Walmart closeby. If we are ever passing through Abilene again, we will definitely consider this property. I think the location might be the only thing that would put us elsewhere, but it's not really that far from the interstate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Abilene Mall? Share your experiences!