“Homespun” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
“Homespun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We have visited here a few times while in Abilene. My husband had to drag me here the first time, have never been into middle eastern food, but the food is great. The owner runs this place all alone, so be patient it may take awhile but it is well worth the wait. The Kabobs are excellent! !!

“Hole in the wall kinda place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Don't judge a book by the cover. Very unattractive appearance, but very good food. I will eat here again for sure on my next trip thru Abilene.

Abilene, Texas
“FANTASTIC FOOD!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Wow, I cannot believe I live in Abilene and have never eaten at the Middle East Retaurant before now. I have read other's reviews, but I am not really familiar with this type of cuisine so I was afraid I would not like it. Well, I love it. The beef kabob is some of the best beef I have had. So tender and flavorful. My son ate almost all of my lamb kabab. The bite I did eat was very good and I thought I did not like lamb. I guess I have not had it prepared this well before. The hummus is so fresh and delicious. The pita was freshly made and just terrific. The restaurant is small and quaint. Very clean. Don't let the location keep you from going in. You will surely miss out if you do not try it. Sabah, the owner, is very good to suggest things to try and will make any dish to suit you. He is a very nice and hard working man. We enjoyed our food and our visit with him. He was proud to tell us about his upcoming citizenship exam. He is really a gifted cook. It is nice to have something out of the ordinary for Abilene that is really, really good to eat. I am attaching a youtube link about Sabah and his story with this review. It is very interesting and I hope you will want to try some really great food and shake the hand of this man who helped out the U.S. military in Iraq. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8xPH6s5do. Or go to youtube and search Texas Bucket List Middle East.
Middle East Restaurant, too good to miss.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lubbock, Texas
“Best Middle Eastern food I've had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

On a whim, I decided to stop for lunch in Abilene during my trip across Texas. I was extremely pleased with my lunch at the Middle East Restaurant. If you consider yourself a foodie, I strongly suggest you add Abilene's best kept secret to your food map. Upon arrival, the restaurant is modest and humble, yet there is noticeably strong patriotic presence. Each plate I saw come out of the kitchen looked and smelled fantastic. If I lived in Abilene, this is a menu I would eat my way through. The owner/cook is a wonderful character, willing to talk about his food and tell stories of his past in Iraq. I am writing this review in hopes that other travels like myself will read it and stop in for a visit.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Abilene, Texas
“Wonderful food and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We originally went to this restaurant because we knew it served veg food, but know we know we will be regulars there. The food was outstanding and the owner was extremely friendly. He was more than happy to explain what was on the menu.

• Visited June 2014