“Awesome place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Abilene
Abilene, Texas
“Awesome place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

I have stayed at many hotels in the past five years in the US and overseas with one of them being a 5 star hotel; however, Marriott Residence Inn in Abilene has surpassed every hotel I've stayed. The room was great. The king size bed was as comfortable as my bed at home. It was nice to have a sitting room to sit and read or watch TV or work on my laptop using their WIFI.
The hotel is located off of I-20 in Abilene, Texas; however, it was set back off of the service road so you didn't have all the highway noises.
This hotel had a full breakfast buffet with a variety of selections, cereal, oatmeal, waffles, eggs, meat, different breads, yogurts..... In addition, the hotel served a free beer and wine from 6 pm to 7:30 pm AND a casual dinner selection on Monday through Friday. Each day was different...tacos one night, BBQ another night.
The ENTIRE staff at the hotel was fantastic. They made each guest feel special, not like some hotels where you are just one more person staying there. I will surely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Plano, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I live in Hotels 4 nights a week every week in all regions of the US for over 40 years, so I have some experience to base this review upon. The Management and staff at this Hotel are warm, friendly people and are some of the best I have met anywhere. I have been assigned to work in Abilene, TX for 3 years and I have stayed in many of the Hotels here so when I tell you this is the best in town, I know what I am talking about. Stay here and you will agree. I was here during the Ice Storm mentioned in the "Comes up short" review and was impressed with the Staffs efforts to deal with a once in 35 years event. Things were not perfect but excellent under the conditions.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

We were traveling to Las Vegas and tried to get ahead of the ice/snow/sleet storm that socked the South just before Super Bowl. Our thought was to go South where it was warm. The best of intentions , it started hailing just after we removed our luggage from the car. Rain, hail, sleet and snow followed. When we checked in we were asked to please let the hotel know if we need to stay over another night due to the storm. The hotel had already made arrangement to host both their current guests another day if need be. How thoughtful, we discovered later several of the staff members stayed at the hotel so that they were fully staffed for their guests despite the storm. We did extend one day to give the road crews time to clear the path and to dig out our car. I can't think of a place I would rather have been "stuck" in. The team handled hourly power outages, numerous and repeated guests requests/questions and all of the maintenance issues that go along with a winter storm where they typically don't occur without an apparent hitch and in good humor. Hat's off to the team at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Mineral Wells, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

During my stay we had a very bad snow and ice storm. I can not say enough good things about the personnel and the general manager in the at this hotel.

Never saw a sad face or anyone not willing to help in me having a great stay at their hotel. Had a breakfast and dinner free...yes free. And even when we were snowed in..they offered lunch for free.

Because of the weather, offer to extend my stay without a problem.

I have stayed at many hotels for business and pleasure, and by far this is the BEST experience I have ever had away from home.

If I ever have to stay in Abilene....It will be here without a doubt.

By the way, the cook staff always had food....on time and hot. And when we started to run out of food...they just found something else to cook. And they always were willing to help. Wish I had gotten the names of cook staff and the staff at the desk (not saying that everyone else I encountered was not doing and excellent job).

Had no problem getting internet both on my phone and computer no matter where I was in the hotel. Room was great beyond belief.

Thanks for a great and safe stay....You are the Best!

Lancaster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I have been staying in this hotel for over six months now. As a general rule, I will stay at Marriott wherever I go and I prefer Residence Inns for extended stays. Each room has a kitchen with full sized refrigerator, stove, microwave oven and dishwasher. In addition, Residence Inns will normally provide a substantial breakfast each morning.

The Residence Inn in Abilene has a professional, friendly, helpful staff. Having been here for so long, I have had the opportunity to see the staff in a variaty of situations. In every case, they have treated all guests with respect and outstanding service. In fact, this past week was an incredible example of how well the staff reacts to adversity. The entire north Texas area was blanketed in a winter storm that caused travel delays and treacherous travel for everyone. Many guests unexpectedly needed to extend their stay and many more dropped in after finding the interstate highway unpassable. The staff did everything they could to accomodate everyone's needs, even going as far as providing meals for the folks stranded here. On occassion, members of the staff would make the dangerous trip to one of the few stores that were still open to buy groceries and other necessities to keep the hotel running smoothly. Obviously, this kind of weather does not happen in north Texas very often (every 5 to 10 years) and when it does happen, everything is caught in its grip. As the week continued and the weather remained in the single digits, the hotel staff had to deal with a pipe that froze and burst on the top floor of the hotel. They quickly ascertained what had happened, stopped the water leak and started tending to those who were displaced due to the massive water leak. Two other hotels in the local area also had pipes that burst so the normally contracted clean-up and repair crews located in Abilene were already busy at other places. This didn't stop the fine staff here from jumping in and cleaning up the damaged areas while efficiently moving those effected by the leak. Within a day of this crisis, one could barely tell that such a thing had even happened in the hotel.

In every way, I would highly recommend the Abilene Residence Inn as one of the finest hotels I have ever stayed in and the majority of the accolades go directly to the staff. After all, the hotel itself is just a building...but what makes a stay here enjoyable is the fine, friendly staff who are eager to ensure that you feel like family while you are here.

Spring, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights checking in on the 3rd of February and checking out this morning. We got stranded because of a horrible ice storm that had unexpectedly hit Abilene a few days before. The girl at the front desk had told me that Abilene didnt usually get this kind of weather so that the town wasnt prepared for this type of inconvenience. I thought she was very helpful and nice. She got us into a room quickly when we stopped and even gave us an excellent rate! We got to enjoy an amazing dinner on the night of the 3rd because they offer a complimentary dinner with drinks! We had BBQ sandwiches, baked beans, wings, etc. It was all you can eat and very delicious. We even enjoyed some drinks that were free as well!

Breakfast the next morning was wonderful! They had a hot and cold breakfast which was a nice thing to see. We had sausage aqnd deggs in addition to the option to have cereal, bagels, toast etc. There were even waffles AND pancakes. It was nice to have such a variety to choose from considering I am vegan and my husband loves his sausage and bacon in the morning!

On Friday, the hotel had an unexpected floor on the fourth floor. The front desk staff called our room and informed us of the situation because my husband and I were on the third floor and had asked us to come down to the lobby where everyone was gathering. My husband had ran to Walmart to get us some things for the road the next morning, so I came downstairs with my belondings and asked the front desk agent what happened. The same girl was there that had checked us in had informed us that a pipe had malfunctioned up on the fourth floor and it had caused some minor flooding. She was very calm in explaining the situation which was comforting. I know sometimes when these situations happen, they tend to send people into a panic. She reassured us that everything was okay and when I asked if we would be penalized if we checked out that night (it was already 2:30), she said "Absolutely not!" which made me feel like she actually cared about how we felt about the situation! We decided to stay another night because of the extra care that her and the staff had taken. The General Manager was very active in her role as well. She was extremely involved in the helping of the flood as well as numerous employees. There was also another manager (I believe I heard someone say she was the sales director) and she was greeting the worried guests in the lobby with free beverages which was extremely calming. It was nice to see a staff so dedicated to their guests!

We finally checked out this morning and made it home, but I have to say everything was great even with the situation that happened! I wish that some disgruntled guests would try to place themselves in the situation that these employees were in with the weather and the flooding! I feel people are quick to criticize rather than compliment sometimes. This staff was very caring and helpful and I feel they went above and beyond their "duty" to make sure that the guests were accomodated.

As far as the review below me goes, I would think you would take into consideration the weather and be careful when you are out on the ice. I almost fell going into the hotel as well but I dont blame the hotel for that! They can only prepare for things to an extent and Im sure 3-4 inches of ice was something not expected. And why would your television be on the top of the priority list when the hotel is flooding? This is nonsense! Great job Residence Inn in Abilene! We will be back again!!! :D

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Billings, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

I tried to write this letter repeatedly to Marriott but kept getting a server error. I am writing with regard to our stay 3-4 Feb 2011 at the Marriott Residence in Abilene, TX (2 nights). The hotel had good features: the rooms were fine; the breakfast was exemplary; and my arrival during the ice storm all went well. i have two complaints however. When I asked why the tv cable went down, I was told that the room housing it flooded; I completely understood. I then asked what the plan was to fix the problem. The man at the desk apparently thought "I don't know" dismissively was good enough. He seemed surprised that I wanted him to find out. I am a business traveler with gold cards or higher in other chains. I would like to attain the same relationship with Marriott but answers such as this do not help. I expect a greater level of professionalism. Second, and more seriously, my wife, who is 55, slipped on the ice and badly bruised herself. Now I know that it was a difficult time, but the snow and ice had set in days ago. In all that time, the only area cleared was the one directly in front of the main entrance. the side entrances used by the guests remained uncleared and had ice like glass. I saw no evidence of dirt, salt or anything else applied. I actually went to the front desk and asked for a shovel. At 56, i cleared a pathway myself from the side entrance to the cars, for myself and other guests. I do not think my wife has any lasting injuries, but I am deeply unhappy by this and I expected a considered response (before the server turned me away).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Marriott Abilene? Share your experiences!