“A nice property with lots of shopping and eateries close by.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Abilene
Abilene, Texas
“A nice property with lots of shopping and eateries close by.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the hotel twice. We are locals who like to have a getaway night from teenagers and pets. The first stay was wonderful. It was about a year ago and we had a corner suite on the top floor (3 floors) with a separate living/dining room, whirlpool tub, and king-sized bed. Beds are very comfortable. They give a good discount to people affliated with the local universities. Continential breakfast with hot waffles is included.

The second stay was about three weeks ago. Not as great of an experience. I used Hotwire.com to book a last minute room. Could have gotten a better price calling them directly but was expecting to end up at the McM Elegante, Residence Inn or Hilton Garden Inn based on the star rating I specified. Hotwire and Tripadvisor don't use the same scale. Three stars is as high as there is in Abilene and the Wingate is about a 2 1/2. The room had a king-sized bed with a loveseat, mini fridge and standard shower/tub combo. The hotel was full (rodeo in town). We heard some people stomping above our heads and in the halls but the worst part is that the person who checked us in charged us for the room after it was already paid for via Hotwire. Straightening it out has been a hassle.

Bottom line: A good place to stay if you have don't have noisy neighbors but be careful if you use a non-Wyndam website to book the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

First class with warm, friendly and flexible owner and staff. We were a group with eight rooms. I have never used "trip advisor" but after a fabulous two night stay I felt compelled to provide this review. Rooms were very clean, great bedding, newly constructed and air conditioning was perfect. Most importantly, we had a group of twenty and the staff was very helpful with our unique needs. Also close to Walmart and Target.

Thank you!,,,,the Women's Soccer Team from California Lutheran University

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We arrived in Abilene with my college team to play games here locally. The first hotel we arrived at was a disaster and we were able to get out of it and we ended up at the WIngate. The price was reasonable and from the moment we walked in the staff was friendly and helpful. The GM Marti bent over backwards to make it a great stay. My players were so happy when the entered the rooms that they cheered. This will be the only hotel we stay at when we come to Abilene in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I must admit, I do like a clean room (doesn't have to be fancy). See my other reviews. I commend places on good quality and value. Well, I always check the beds. Maybe I shouldn't do this because I lost my appetite. Lots of hairs behind the bed and on the mattress cover. The room was dusty. I started to clean out the slots on the a/c because it was blowing dust. I switched rooms and found the same thing. When I told the owner that it was strange to have an envelope soliciting money from the maids, she argued with me and told me to stay at a place that accepted dogs (and I didn't have a pet with me on this trip). It was funny because I have never seen this before...plus, there was a blond hair next to the envelope (definitely not mine). Had to move to a different hotel which was not as new, but luckily had no hairs in the bed.

Room Tip: Check the beds before you sleep there (or if you don't care and you just hop into bed, this is a...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Everything about this hotel is very nice. We have enjoyed both of our stays at this property and will return each time we need lodging in Abilene.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Here for a wedding. Not too bad. The staff was just nonchalant. I don't think some businesses realize that their staff can make all the difference in the world. They seemed very frustrated for whatever reason. Having a bad day? The room was SUPER nice. Priced about the norm. It's everything else that needs work. The hot tub was broken, 50 dollar deposit if you are paying cash, 5 dollar deposit PER TOWEL for the pool. We asked for an extra blanket "sorry don't have any". We asked for extra towels "Sorry, don't have any dry". Said they would bring some when they got dry but never came. It was very frustrating. The pool was nice and we all had a good time. I would stay here again just because the room was really nice and make sure I brought my own beach towels and blankets!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

The room was nice--especially clean. However, I think the price point was too high for a typical nice room. Breakfast was standard that you seein most--nice selection. Hot tub area was closed for maintenance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Abilene? Share your experiences!