“Carved my name on the walls after homesteading here for several months.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Abilene

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Abilene
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Abilene, Texas
“Carved my name on the walls after homesteading here for several months.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Well . . . not literally . . . but figuratively. One thing I can say is that I've been treated like royalty here. I'm checking out for a few weeks then returning in October. With the kind of treatment I've received here, I've decided for the first time in my life to write a hotel review and some comments on my treatment as a Platinum member in the Marriott chain (and the Intercontinental Hotel Group, in which I've primarily stayed in Holiday Inns/Expresses).

One thing I can say about the Marriott family of hotels, is that as compared to the Intercontinental Hotels group, the Platinum level gets much better recognition in the Marriott family of hotels than in the Intercontinental. And I'm going to distinguish this recognition on two levels: recognition when staying on points redemptions and recognition when staying for cash. As a true road warrior, over the last 15 years, I have almost 1000 paid nights in each of these hotel families. I've been a "points millionaire" in each of the programs in years past. It's not hard to do with as many nights as I stay on the road that are paid nights, and adding in using the Chase Visa Holiday Inn card or the Chase Visa Marriott and bonuses for charging the rooms to those cards, (all depending on the chain in which I'm staying), periodic promotions, etc., etc., etc., one can see the points add up. Hands down, I give the Marriott Chain a grade of A for platinum recognition for both paid stays and points redemptions. And by that I mean more than the obligatory bottle of water when you check in, but, service, room upgrades, etc.

By comparison, I give the Intercontinental Hotel group a B for paid stays and a C for points redemptions. Those points are the lemonaide made from all the years of lemons from being on the road. Those are how I take family on trips to some place I want to be for fun instead of some place I have to be for work. There is a VERY clear separation in my opinion between the two affinity programs on how they treat their Platinum members for points redemptions and the Marriott is unquestionably the clear winner and that's important to me as I use points on vacations, airline miles, etc. That's my personal experience and I'm not saying it is everyone's but it is mine.

Back to my stay here at the Courtyard in Abilene, I have to thank Darlene Yarbrough, the General Manager, for the professional attention she and her staff have provided during my stay. Darlene pulled out all the stops on recognizing my Platinum status for room upgrades. Whoo hoo! Really nice! Lisa, who works the front desk most mornings, has provided exemplary service. She rocks! If she tells you she'll get a need handled, it'll get done. I appreciate that. Rene, the operations manager, has been very helpful as well. Chris, another of the front desk people, is a prince of a guy. The Bistro staff (a cool restaurant here, with a limited menu as one would expect in a business hotel) have been amazing . . . and . . . STARBUCKS COFFEE IN THE MORNINGS! Yes, they've got a Starbucks concession here. Wonderful. David Yarbrough (whose last name I only learned tonight) and who is a brother in law to Darlene, as I was told this evening, has been so kind to let me interrupt whatever he's doing in the mornings when I want a grande Starbucks coffee with 2 to 4 shots of espresso to kick me into high gear. He's simply just one of the nicest and most gregarious men I've met. Cheryl, who works in the bistro, gets it too. Customer service. You can tell she doesn't come at her work as a chore. She comes at it with a sincere interest in providing service. I really do appreciate her. A young lady in housekeeping, Rosalina, was providing housekeeping in my room on the front end of my stay and put the flourishes in the room as someone would who has that same attitude of customer service. Others here have as well.

So, for me, service is key. I'm a road warrior. And, I don't want to be fighting any battles over poor service once I get to the room to rest up or crank out reports. I've been provided the best here.

But, the facilities are exemplary. There was a remodeling some few months before I got here. I don't know what it was like in the past, but it's certainly great now.

Also, the hotel is across the street from the Abilene Mall. If you don't want a Starbucks from the hotel bistro, take the ten minutes to walk to a retail Starbucks that is nearby, or the 3 minutes to get in your car and go. There are many restaurants outside of the mall that are near (meaning, walking distance, as in across the street or down the block on the same side of the street!).

I've stayed in many hotels, good and bad, in my many years of travel. I would say that the two best I've stayed at for my needs as a businessman are the Courtyard Abilene, and, the Holiday Inn Express in Raton, New Mexico. [Roy, the owner/manager there and his staff, "get it" like Darlene and her staff get it here.] There are the few standout properties within the Intercontinental family of hotels as I've enjoyed, of which the Holiday Inn Express in Raton is the undoubtedly the cream of the crop. But, overall, the experiences at the Marriott owned family of hotels is, as I have said, much better than the Interconinental owned family of hotels, as I've stayed at over many, many years of being a road toad, staying in hotels in cities large and small in many different states, travelling on business. It's going to be sad checking out here. But, I'll be coming back and glad I am!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Darla Y, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Abilene, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Wow... We really appreciate you taking the time in your busy schedule to write an awesome review about our Courtyard Abilene property and associates. I have to say, reading this review really made me proud of everybody! We can't thank you enough for sharing with our future guests the kind of service they will receive when staying at the Courtyard in Abilene. See you real soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stay here often and the staff is always wonderful. Chris is here today and he's been very helpful. It's located around good restaurants and convenient shopping. My room is always very clean and the facilities are great. One of the best Courtyards I've been to.

• Stayed August 2012
Darla Y, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Abilene, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let our guests know what to expect when staying at the Courtyard Abilene. We really appreciate your comments about our awesome associates! I will be sure to pass this along to them. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.
Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

The location is renovated, clean, sharp staff, Chris night desk manager is a rock star, the sales manager, Rachelle is tremendous partner and the staff is friendly. Food, accommodation sides of room with the quality to TV the quality of the food available ever just ease of getting around town getting to the freeway food such a buffalo wings across the street you need for business and/or pleasure it is all here what a wonderful wonderful thing

• Stayed August 2012
Darla Y, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Abilene, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write a review of your recent stay at the Courtyard Abilene. It is with great pleasure to hear you were taken care of by our awesome staff and that you enjoyed the new look and renovations. We welcome you anytime and thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Abilene. We hope to see you soon!
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The staff and management are very personable and friendly.
The rooms are clean and comfortable and smelled awesome.
The fridge in the room I stayed in, King bed room was tiny. I stayed for 3 weeks and wasnt meant for long stays. The pool was nicely situated with a beautiful huge shade tree nearby but the pool was simply square and small. There is a bbq grill out in the courtyard with a nice gazebo for sitting with a overhead light and plush cushioned chairs.No jaccuzi. Bring your room key everywhere you go; pool, workout room, laundry room, side doors all require key and they are always locked, it got annoying but at least it was safe? If you use the workout room, it is extremely small, the television is almost behind you as you are on the machines, very frustrating. You have to pay for all of your meals and drinks. The breakfast "buffett" is about 9.00 and is worse than most free ones. The bistro food is pretty good. The drinks are good. The bartender is awesome.
The roomservice was quite disappointing, depending on who you get. They did not put up the iron and board. No personability notes until I complained about the service. The management are generous with free drink coupons for the bar, great if you like domestic beer and house wine.
No pets. There is a huge TV in the lobby and it is interactive and tells you whats going on in town and in the news its a touch screen, there are other tvs in the lobby with a comfortable and inviting environment.

Room Tip: Dont stay on the first floor closest to the bistro.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a terrific place. Chris at the Abilene Courtyard goes the extra mile-and I had to take the time to give Chris and the Courtyard staff the credit they deserve in a review. This is my 10th stay-and will not consider anywhere else when I travel to Abilene. Great !!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Darla Y, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Abilene, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing your views about the Courtyard Abilene and thank you so much for your loyalty! I will pass the nice compliment along to Chris so he can enjoy. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We selected this hotel based in part on some of the other Tripadvisor reviews and it was great choice. If you're traveling to Abilene for a few nights, definitely consider staying here. The hotel is very, very clean! The room was spacious with a refigerator and microwave to use. This hotel has one of the best showerheads I've ever experienced at any hotel. Comfortable bed and quiet guests. Directly across the street from the mall and a few blocks from some great restaurants including Outback Steakhouse, IHOP, and Starbucks. There is a cool looking bistro in the lobby, but we decided to go out for breakfast instead. Very friendly staff. Seriously, this is a great place to stay and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Abilene, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your very nice overview of the Abilene Courtyards' new look and the service you received! We are so pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed staying with us while in Abilene. We thrive on pleasing our guest with above and beyond service. We hope to have you and your family back soon.
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

You might as well stay here. Clean, pretty typical of the new Courtyard format. Room is pretty basic but clean.

There's just not a lot of good hotel options in Abilene, so this property gets the nod. Great shower BTW.

Location: OK. Right across from the mall. Lots of chain-style dining options nearby.

Now, as to how someone ends up in Abilene in June......

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Abilene? Share your experiences!