“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
TEMPLE
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I will stay here again. Very nice and great staff. This motel is about 4 years old. It also has a cart in the lobby to put your bags on and roll it to your room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Marble Falls, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed here on business for over 3 months in 2011 and continue to stay there when I'm in the area. Management and staff are always very nice and very helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the beds are comfortable. Breakfast is great. I am happy to recommend this Super 8!

JB
Marble Falls, TX

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Flower Mound
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Our stay was perfect here for several members of our family in town for a funeral. They were very accomodating. The rooms were very nice and large with all the ammenties we would need for our stay.

Room Tip: The king room seemed much larger that the double rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

This hotel is fairly new, so still in good shape. The breakfast is a little lean on selection, so I wound-up going elsewhere for that.

I got a handicapped-accessible room, which is okay, just keep in mind that when you shower, water will be all over the floor.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Montgomery, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We were traveling through Abilene on our way to Amarillo and didn't make reservations. My only requirements are a clean room and a safe location. Super 8 Abilene South met all those requirements. It is located close to the highway with many places to eat nearby.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

my husband and I stayed at the Super 8 Abilene South on the last night of a week-long driving vacation. We were hoping only for a decent place to spend the night; this hotel met our expectations. Although it is by now a few years old, it still appears brand-new and clean. The bed was reasonably comfortable, although the pillows were the usual hard-as-a-rock hotel pillows. There was an armchair and a desk area with an office style swivel chair for seating options. Water pressure/flow from the shower head was quite acceptable. I appreciated that the sink was in the main room, not in the bathroom proper, as one person can use the sink while the other is using the other facilities. The hotel is in a rather secluded spot. I think being in an industrial area actually helps, as it is dead quiet at night. It is a little tricky to find the hotel if you follow the directions online. They say to turn left on Buffalo Gap and then right on Industrial Blvd. What they don't say is that you have to turn IMMEDIATELY right on Industrial. In fact, you wouldn't really turn onto Buffalo Gap so much as swerve onto it for a second or two. Fortunately, we had a GPS, which instructed us to turn right from Buffalo Gap onto a different street, and then right onto Sayles. The outdoor pool was rather small (about standard for a Super 8), but looked very clean and well-maintained. We were actually too tired from out trip to bother about it; otherwise we would have welcomed the opportunity to check it out. The breakfast was above average for this hotel class, and included scrambled eggs and sausage in addition to pastries, cold cereal, fruit, milk, juice, coffee, etc. The trays were well-filled, and everything seemed fresh. It is true that there is nothing much immediately near the hotel, but there are a multitude of choices within a mile or two. Assuming you have access to a car (and in Abilene, it is near certain you have arrived by car), you have no shortage of dining options.

I did experience two complaints, which could be remedied fairly easily by the hotel management.
1) The AC/heating unit was located right under the window, as is so often the case. When the drapes are closed, the design of the air vents causes the air to flow up into the drapes, causing the drapes to billow out and all the cold air to be trapped inside the drapes rather than flowing into the room. One could, of course, leave the drapes open, but that would sacrifice privacy and allow too much light in early in the morning. I addressed the problem by placing the phone directory and the vertically on top of the unit and tucking the drapes behind it. I have seen in other hotels where they have put a Plexiglass barrier atop the AC unit to hold the bottom of the drapes in place and prevent the problem.

2) The rooms are designed in pairs with communicating doors between. This is a design which has, unfortunately, experienced a comeback within the last 10 years or so. I say unfortunately, as this design allows more even more noise pollution than usual between pairs of adjoining rooms. The connecting doors, I am sorry to report, had about a 2" gap between the bottom of the door and the carpet. Shortly after entering our room, we were treated to every word of a loud phone conversation from the adjoining room. I was dreading the prospect of hearing more loud conversations during the evening, and was hoping our neighbor wasn't a late-night TV viewer. I address this issue by taking the bedspread off the bed, folding it up, and stuffing it into the gap under the door. I did not hear any further noise, so either my remedy worked or our neighbor was quiet for the remainder of the evening and night. I would, however, be reluctant to stay here again if the problem is not addressed. There is no way I could be sure that I wouldn't have noisy neighbors, and I have experienced too many ruined nights' sleep in hotels due to noisy neighbors and poor sound insulation. The issue could be significantly addressed by adding door sweeps to the bottoms of the doors and/or thresholds to the floors, thereby closing the excessive gap. A 2" gap is far too large, as it allows every sound to travel between rooms. This is by far the worse of the two problems with the room, and it is most unfortunate, as otherwise the hotel was quite nice. Were it not for this one thing, my rating would have been 4 stars, not 3.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

In July 2011, we had a reservation to stay here. With a few hours to go, our car broke down. After 6. After the cutoff time for cancelling the reservation. But after explaining what happened and why couldn't make it, the manager (using his discretion and a little good judgement) did NOT charge us for the night. This is why we always choose Super 8 and why we will continue to do so.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Super 8 Abilene South? Share your experiences!