“Decent Hotel, Not Worth the Price” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Aberdeen
Shawnee, Kansas
“Decent Hotel, Not Worth the Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Nice clean rooms and comfortable beds. The complimentary breakfast was average, the attendants were a little slow to refill items. The pool area was clean and the slide was fun, but the slide was only available when a lifeguard was on duty. When the slide was closed, there really wasn't much to do in the pool area because swimming area is extremely small. Overall the hotel is nice, but I do not consider it a good value.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Huggable_Wolfie,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the room accommodations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience your breakfast experience may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

As far as a Holiday Inn Express goes, this one is pretty good. I'll start with what I liked. The breakfast area, corridors, and room fixtures all looked new and updated to a high quality. The beds may have been on the new side too because they were quite comfortable, as was the bedding. The breakfast selection was also excellent in comparison to a typical limited service hotel, and they offered a free newspaper. Despite this, I think I can only give it a three-star review. This is mostly because the rate I paid was more in line with a Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza than a Holiday Inn Express. For this price I expect more mainstream hotel, and windows that do a better job of blocking noise (hotel is near a railroad and a highway). Its presence near the airport and attached to a convention center makes me think that it caters more to a clientele that may be paying event rates. However, for the leisure or business traveler it might be worth shopping around for a better deal on a limited service hotel. Aside from the overall value, I had no problems with my stay, so if you feel you are getting a fair price, by all means go for it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south are likely quieter because of the highway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Mikhail384230,

We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your experience during your recent stay. It was nice to hear you enjoyed our breakfast selections and comfortable beds. However, I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the noise levels experienced by the railroad and if our room rates was less than satisfactory. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations as well as competitive rates to the area. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I just can't continue to stay here at $144 per night. I can't even get a good night knowing that I paid too much for a basic room. As a priority club member and a holiday inn vacation club member I am saddened to see how much these have gone up in price. That's about all I have to say about that.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Purrplehelmet,

Thank you for your recent comments about our Hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations especially with the room prices. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations as well as competitive rates to the area. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

Zelyn N
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn express while they were doing a lot of renovations. The lobby and pool were closed. We had to find a way to get into the hotel (which wound up being a side door) there was a lot of construction material all over the place and a lot of dust. The room we had was one of the newly renovated ones and was very nice. The only thing I wish was that they would have told us prior to our arrival of the constructions and how to get in. The price was good and I would stay there again. Although, I think I will confirm construction is over with first.

• Stayed February 2013
Wild Western Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The property is average, room comfort and cleanliness was average (although for $130 a night, a recaulking of the shower wouldn't hurt), and the stay was neither overly comfortable nor uncomfortable. I didn't think it was worth the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Sorry Charlies---but seriously, this was the worst Holiday Inn I have stayed in. On a positive note, the front desk person was VERY nice. However, the property itself needs a major overhaul. Dated decor and the room was not good. I think I got the last room available---it was a suite with handicap access---which was fine. However, the room smelled like WET DOG. Furniture looked like it came from the Good Will--walls were stained and dirty. Bed was uncomfortable--and I could not open the window more than one inch to air the room out. Front desk woman offered to de-funkify it for me---but I declined the obligatory fumigation---I thought the chemical smell might even be worse than the wet dog smell so I decided to suck it up and live with it. No other rooms available. The room was $154 with tax---I am a Priority Club Member---big deal, right? Right. I stayed at the Hampton Inn next door the night before, and would have been happy to stay there another night, but they were booked so I had to move on for night #2. I will not be back and would recommend the Hampton Inn next door ten times over this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in early 2011, and we got a whirlpool suite, but we didn't realize we were right next to the pool area. The pool area has a large water slide and a kiddy-pool which are pretty nice for kids. The big water slide is very loud, and we could hear people going in and out the door upstairs for hours on end. It was also someone's birthday that day, so there were more people than usual I would guess. The room was great, the service was great, but it was just a little too loud.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are probably quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen? Share your experiences!