“I should have waited” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
South Dakota
“I should have waited”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I dIdn't WANT to give IHOP a "poor" mark...but can't do otherwise. After all, if I WANTED burnt toast, I would stay home and do it myself!

On a recent soccer trip to Aberdeen, my wife, son and I stopped for breakfast at the "MIllstone" restaurant. We'd been by it several times and it always seemed to be busy...(tip: Go where the locals go...they know best). WELL, it was backed up so much inside, we decided to go to IHOP just down the road. Now, we'd been to the one in Sioux Falls once or twice, (and were unimpressed)...but we were getting hungry! Well, you can take other reviewers at their word...while we were seated quickly enough (sure tip-off against eating there), the food took forever to arrive! And when it did, the waitress failed to bring utensils, (which should have been placed with our drinks). My wife asked for knives and fork, but the gal didn't seem to understand her, I piped up, "can we have utensils please?"...but apparently "utensils" weren't in her vocabulary either...so another effort with "knives and forks" and miming the act of eating food got through to her and she asked, "do you need knives and forks?" Ayi yai yai. Anyway...on to the food. Eggs were cooked as ordered, bacon was crispy, pancakes were...well, pancakes. But the toast...it was burnt on the back side and the "butter" if that's what they call it, must have been put on with a spray bottle (which we later discovered was true!) When the waitress came around and asked how our meal tasted, we pointed out the uneaten, (inedible actually) toast. She asked my wife if she'd like fresh toast which she declined, as we were half-way through our meal.

To their credit, (and I've been treated worse elsewhere), a manager came to the table and apologized profusely, agreeing wholeheartedly that the toast never should have left the kitchen like that. (For my part, in this modern world we live in...I can't figure out HOW you can burn toast unless they're using a campfire and a stick!) She very nicely gave us a good discount on our meal and I must admit, that was unexpected and showed a high degree of customer service skill. So, I should have waited for a table at the Millstone cafe...and am afraid because of the service hiccup and the burned toast, I've no choice but to give IHOP of Aberdeen "2 circles". Better luck next time? Not according to other reviewers.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

South Dakota
“Takes too long”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

IHOP in Aberdeen has the best pancakes in town, but it takes waaaay too long to get them. The service has been terrible everytime I've been there. I swear each time that I will never go back, but 6 months later I always try; and am disappointed. That said, they are open late and if you don't mind the wait, the food is good.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Georgia
“Horrible service and cold food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have given IHOP in Aberdeen so many chances at changing my opinion, but every time I go, the food is cold or just luke warm at best, I've had to wait in line for over 10 minutes to be seated, and no one comes to take our drink or food order for over 15 minutes. It takes almost 40-50 minutes to get your food, so don't plan on getting in and out on your lunch break.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Open Late”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We tested this late at night with a large group of people. We arrived after 10pm with 17 people. We were taken good care of and had good meals. Breakfast for dinner - Yum!

Visited May 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
“decent place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

IHOPs in my opinion are decent places. Breakfast was nice

Visited April 2012

If you own or manage IHOP, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.