“Masters Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Masters Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Great food & service try the Blue Eyed Boy Shiraz from Aust it is Brilliant.
Dined there twice in the one week good value for money
Cheers, Ken & Warwick

Visited April 2014

Aiken, South Carolina
“Nice but not Cheap”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I went there for lunch with my wife specifically for the lobster roll. Being from PEI and growing up in the Northeast U.S., I was skeptical. Now, before you say anything, note that people in Maine do not put ANY mayonnaise on their lobster roll. People in Canada do, along with some celery, and that is the way I like it. In both cases, however, the key point is the quality of the lobster and the roll. Now having said that, the quality of the lobster and the roll was excellent. The roll was not a traditional hotdog roll, but a very tasty roll that I could eat alone or with a hunk of butta. The lobster is served with a remoulade that is pleasing to taste but a bit too much for my palette. Also included (as we do in Canada) were appropriate sized chunks of celery.

My wife have the fried zucchini and cold soup. She thought that the zucchini needed something whereas I thought that it was delicious, not heavy. Also, they served my coke in an 8 oz bottle, which I know is in vogue right now, however, I do not drink coke often and when I do I need at least 16 oz. At $250 a “pop” (pun intended) you can see that it would add up rather quickly.

The lobster roll was only $12, which is a great price. A nice lunch for two came to $33 tax/tip.

Service was fast and quite nice. The atmosphere is fun and relaxing. BTW, they have an impressive selection of scotch that I did not have for lunch, but will another time!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
North Augusta, SC
“Best lamb shank I have ever eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

There are a lot of good eateries in Aiken, but a recent visit to the Speakeasy with our best friends convinced me that this place is the real deal. Drinks, appetizers, salads and entree's were all top notch, appropriately seasoned, and professionally presented. I have had good lamb shank a number of times before, but this topped the list. It was fall off the bone tender, in the most pleasant red sauce you could imagine. Sometimes these public reviews come from folks looking to find something they don't like no matter where they eat. This guy found a lot to like at the Speakeasy, and we are returning tonight for another round.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aiken, South Carolina
“I'll pass”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Decor is interesting, the code on the door sounds like a clever idea but since it is written outside what's the point? Lunch food was pretty poor, I had the pear salad and am glad it wasn't expensive! 2 halves of a watery canned pear on top of chopped lettuce and a microscopic sprinkle of "Gorgonzola" cheese with a too sweet vinaigrette. The pork roll sandwich was like thick sliced bologna. The sautéed onion and cheese were tasty though all on an ordinary wheat hamburger bun. The waiter was good until we paid then he never looked at us again even though we sat another 30 minutes with empty water glasses-and no they weren't busy. I always like to see a new place succeed in Aiken as we need more variety so I hope the owner heeds the warnings of these mediocre reviews. I will give it a try for dinner but unless the lunch menu is improved they won't survive long. It's not about portion it's about quality!

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Worth finding the code”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Don't miss this wonderful, quirky place. From entering the secret code to get in the door to the interesting specialty drink menu all the way through the last bite of the plentiful food, this is an experience you will not regret. My blackened salmon was perfectly prepared. My husband's pork chop was fork tender. The wedge salad is worth the extra calories and price. Only complaint was our server did not meet the high standard of the food - not bad just not exceptional.