“One of the nicest hotels in SC” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Columbia, SC
“One of the nicest hotels in SC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Came into town for the masters, didn't have a reservation but the manager managed to get us a table. Started with the spinach salad (amazing). I had the 6oz filet asked for MR came out perfect, my guest requested the 8oz NY strip with mash, server (devin) replied it was not a problem. Only problem was we didn't have enough room for desert. We will be back!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Aiken, South Carolina
“The food is excellent as long as you're in no hurry.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have been to this restaurant 3 times in the past 5 weeks. The best experience was with a friend for a leisure lunch. We were warned by our waitress that the service would be slow because she was the only one working. We had the same waitress for a group of 25 with reservations for lunch. That time she was also the only one working. She did a good job of getting most of the groups' food out in a reasonable time, but it took 40 minutes for her to bring us our checks when we were finished. I was overcharged, but needed to get back to work so left my money and didn't take more time to have it corrected. That time we didn't get water refills or more rolls in a timely manner. My most recent visit was with a large group for dinner. This time we had 2 servers who were attentive to refilling our water and clearing our plates. I think they need to increase their staffing for lunch when they have large groups scheduled or when there is an event in town where extra guests should be expected. The ambiance is excellent. If you are visiting Aiken, you should check out the Willcox, but you should allow two hours for lunch.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Northern Va
“Head Chef must've taken the week off to go to the Masters...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The atmosphere is very nice here, however, the food is disappointing, to say the least. We ordered the calamari for an appetizer, which was greasy (oil in the bottom of the dish), then a goat cheese plate. The cheese was hard as a brick, and had to be really gotten after with a knife & wouldn't spread. Cheese needs to set out at room temperature to bloom & soften for 2 hours or so, depending on room temperature. We ordered our steaks medium & they came out well done. Second round of steaks came out rare, and I mean having trouble cutting it it was so rare with a big steak knife. Third round, my husband's was better, but mine was still just as rare. Medium should be pink with a hot, red center. I haven't sent a steak back in years, and NEVER more than once. When my steak came out the 4th time, it had excellent flavor and was tender, despite the repeated re-heatings. The caramelized onion sauce is gross. It's ketchup & horseradish sauce-tastes very much out of a jar (heinz 57 maybe). The fingerling potatoes were good, especially with some of the leftover garlic aioli from the calamari. For dessert, we ordered the molten dulce de leche cake. We received a partially still-frozen in the center pumpkin dessert with whipped cream & toasted pecans. Clearly not what we ordered. When I asked the server about it, and told him I was surprised by the pumpkin, he just shrugged and said that it was correct. Good thing I wasn't allergic. Pumpkin is not listed in the dessert description at all. Management didn't offer any kind of a credit on our bill - not my glass of wine, not dessert, nothing. I've never had this kind of meal where something had to go back to the kitchen/wasn't correct, where a restaurant didn't offer something. Completely unacceptable and unreal given the hospitality everywhere else in Aiken while on our trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Great staff attitude makes for a pleasant dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

On the advice of traveling friends, we saught out and thoroughly enjoyed dining at The Willcox. The menu was large and mouth watering, but we had been out on the road for three days and ordered steaks, which we usually don't do. The lobby, bar and dining room are elegant and seeped in tradition. The dining room was busy, and we had no reservations but were seated in the comfortable bar. Service was top knotch. The steaks were cooked just slightly more than we prefer. When the waiter asked, we did mention it. He apologized and comped our liqueur bill, which was a very nice and unexpected gesture. All in all a good experience. We will go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Aiken, South Carolina
“Dessert Better Than Entree”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had dinner there-it is a beautiful hotel, indeed full of history as it is part of the Old Aiken Winter Colony. I had a chicken entree with potatoes and vegetables, very every day -- It was presented in a very nice manner, but was not earth shatteringly good. It was an entree that I could have easily prepared myself. HOWEVER, the DESSERT I chose was spectacular: it was a Chocolate Granache dessert with the Willcox's special homemade vanilla ice cream topped with hazelnuts. Incredible. So, I would definitely recommend the dessert there. Perhaps one of the other entrees would have bowled me over more. All in all, a nice place, very clean and the waitstaff were pleasant.

• Visited March 2013