“Elegance in the country.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 144 Restaurants in Aiken
Cuisines: American, International, Continental
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Small intimate fine dining on a romantic B & B. Veranda dining, weather permiting. Corporate and private dinner parties are welcome
Tampa, Florida
“Elegance in the country.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My now husband and I spent a lovely dating anniversary here. The food was excellent and the company was wonderful. We hope to go back for the many wedding anniversaries to come.

• Visited January 2013

Marion, North Carolina
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I recently had dinner at the General Elliott and had an excellant experience. The food was outstanding and service was excellant. Plan on returning with friends.

Aiken, South Carolina
“Extraordinary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I attended the October 14th wine tasting and had an incredible experience. The wine selection was very high class and worth every penny we paid. The food, hosts and service was impeccable. We cannot wait to visit this establishment again. Thank you to everyone that made our night.

North Augusta
“Turned Off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I helped round-up 21 people to attend a wine tasting at General Elliott on 14 Oct. The wines were good, although not offered anywhere near the discount mentioned. The tapas-like food was average and served on Styrofoam, which most of us thought tacky for a place having their reputation, even at the bargain ($35) priced event. My wife discussed our thoughts with Kay, one of the owners, after the event and her parting words were, "we don't need your business and so don't come back." So, most of the 21 will never come back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
kayg63, Owner at General Elliott Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
We always appreciate customer reviews of our food and service, it is very important to our operation. The above review, however, seems to be based on factors that have little to do our restaurant performance. This review followed our semi-annual wine tasting event, which is not our normal dining atmosphere.
Twice a year we taste 6 wines and serve small portions of food that are paired with the wines. The event is supposed to allow our customer to taste wines that they may not have been exposed to, with a food pairing for $35.00 per person. It is not a formal event and is supposed to a fun event where they can learn about the wine inexpensively. To accomplish this we serve the small portions of food on high end disposable plates and Styrofoam bowls in order to save labor cost and not to have 350 individual plate and bowls on hand to serve 60 people 6 courses in two hours.
After the dinner was over, the wife of the reviewer approached me stating I should be ashamed of myself for serving her food in Styrofoam, she didn’t eat from Styrofoam. I tried to explain that it was not a formal event and we want to keep the cost low so we could provide the event to our customers for $35.00 instead of $75.00 or $100.00. That she had dined at the Inn before and knew it is not our normal dining format, but just a special event that we have done nine times the same way. Later, after all but one other couple had left the Inn, the reviewer's wife came back in and got more ballistic still complaining how tacky the Styrofoam was and that she could serve 75 people at her house on china and that the other wine tasting she goes to are much better and she is served on china.
I then said to her that I was sorry she didn’t know in advance what this event was like and how the food was served; if she had been she could have decided not to attend. But, that now that she knows she probably should not come to another one because we were not going to change the format of the event. Further I told her that in five years and nine tasting events not one other person had complained. The wife left saying she would make sure none of her party would ever come back to the Inn. I would make clear that the reviewer himself was never a participant in the above discussions.
Also, the review states “that the wines at the tasting were not offered anywhere near the discount mentioned” We affirmatively state that a discount was never mentioned or advertised. Our statement was that anyone wanting to buy wines could purchase them at our cost the night of the tasting and many did, even members of the reviewer’s party
The reviewer also on individual ratings gave us 5 on value, 5 on service, 3 on food and 3 on atmosphere, but then gave us only 2 on an overall, I don't understand the math
Aiken, South Carolina
“Beauty Country Setting & Fresh Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The owners are delightful hosts and the food/service is first class. We like to bring friends so they can experience a fun evening in horse country.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere