“DISAPPOINTED!"” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Aiken
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“DISAPPOINTED!"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I've stayed at the Aiken Sleep Inn for the past 5 years and was sorely disappointed on my latest visit, in July, 2011.

It seems as though the management is cutting corners. Front desk service is helpful and friendly as long as the owner/manager isn't there. He's a taciturn guy, not at all pro-actively helpful and certainly not welcoming. The staff, while still pleasant and efficient, has turned over in the past year; I didn't see one familiar face.

All the niceities that made the Sleep Inn special seem to have taken a nosedive. No more cookies, the "orange juice" from the dispenser in the dining room is truly rank - tastes nothing like orange, fewer options at breakfast, and though the entire hotel is supposed to be non-smoking, it was obvious that someone had been lighting up on the 3rd floor.

So sorry to see this place go downhill!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lexington, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I first stayed in this Sleep Inn in 2001 for a Conference. I was so impressed with how clean, welcoming, affordable, and well-staffed it was, that I began what has been a 10-year history of staying with them, usually twice a year, whenever my husband and I travel to Aiken. We live an hour away, and we like to bring our bicycles and ride in the Aiken countryside when we stay.

Also, every year, a relative of mine travels south from Philadelphia, and we spend close to a week at the hotel, catching up, visiting the restaurants, and enjoying the city of Aiken. She has often commented how wonderful it is to find a hotel that offers so many extras to make its guests feel special -- especially for the price.

Sadly, we have noticed that the rate of attrition has accelerated in the past 5 years. However, since we usually like to focus on the positive, we decided to overlook some of the changes. Especially as we know that it is expensive to keep hotels up these days without raising the price too steeply.

However, our most recent visit will probably be our last. The hot cookies that were once out on display by the front desk are long gone, as are the little bags of pretzels and snacks. We used to have access to water from the front desk, which also disappeared several years ago. The breakfast bar went from being something we enjoyed in the mornings before our bikerides -- to one which we now avoid because of the inferior food and lack of options.

Almost all of the regular staff (including our favorite, "Miss Betty") has left this past year, which told us a great deal about the "new management." Those staff members who were there, while very kind to us, but they seemed very subdued with their heads down and very few smiles. We were told that the new management took over last August. It is not quite a year since this change -- and this may be one of our worst stays we've had anywhere this year.

Again, all of these can definitely be overlooked. However, this year we met the manager that was referred to in another review as: "...lazy and rude. He doesn't care about his guests, or guest compaints," and we felt exactly the same way! And we are not high maintenance guests. We learned to avoid asking him almost anything because of his short and rude responses.

The final blow was the shower I took the second night of our stay. The water temperature had obviously been turned down so that the water never really got warm enough to stand directly under the water during the shower! This is ridiculous and totally unnecessary.

Fortunately, after reading the review about the vandalism, we didn't encounter any problems in that regard.

We are sorry to take our business elsewhere, but unfortunately, that is the route we've decided to take.

We hope the company pursues our complaints -- and those of some of the other reviewers on this site. It is sad to see yet another American business lose its "class" because of a lack of care and to save a few dollars.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Aiken, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Housekeepting staff doesn't do their job! Rooms are not cleaned properly. Carpets hardly vacuumed or cleaned; beds made but not changed, even when asked to get clean sheets. The shower stall floors show caked on dirt and look gross. Milk, eggs and meat in the breakfast area are not refilled in the morning hours (the eggs and meat are not real food), and the hotel manager is lazy and rude. He doesn't care about his guests, or guest compaints. Avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Best room at this hotel is in a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Augusta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Based on the nine reviews I read on this site I assumed that the Sleep Hotel would be an appropriate place to stay while I attended a wedding in Aiken. Unfortunately I did not know that the neighborhood that backs directly up to the motel is notorious for juvenile delinquency. Our car and two others were vandalized that night while they were parked in the motel parking lot. Bricks were thrown through windows and bounced off the hoods of the cars. This does not reflect upon the fine city of Aiken, and the policeman who filed our report was extremely helpful and courteous; however, I would never stay in this hotel again nor would I want anyone else to go through what I did. Hopefully the motel will install security cameras in this area of the parking lot and also put up a high fence between the back of the motel property and the adjacent neighborhood. This is not an isolated incidence of vandalism as the gym that is located next door to the motel was also vandalized recently.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Stayed here for a full week following the masters.

Location is good for anyone not staying in the downtown aiken area. Room was cleaned daily as expected. Lots of restaurants around, and plenty to do within walking distance. 10% off at ocharleys if you mention you are staying at this hotel. I ate there 3/5 nights, really good food.

I checked out early to catch a flight and flight was cancelled. Staff was kind enough to let me back into the hotel without any issues, even though I was already checked out (I had paid already). I expected to have issues with going back to the hotel.

Overall I think this hotel is very good for the star rating. Breakfast was average, but what do you expect. I enjoyed breakfast here daily, but would recommend skipping the egg, other reviewers were correct on them not being the tastiest.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

If you're looking for a place to stay for the Masters Tournament, Sleep Inn is a great choice.It is about 30 minutes from Augusta and is about 5 minutes from the historic section of Aiken. The people at the hotel could not have been more cordial and helpful and the rooms were well appointed and comfortable. It's also a quiet location as it is off the main drag (Whiskey Rd.) by about 400 yards. If I am lucky enough to get back to the Masters, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We were in Aiken, SC for a softball tournament and ended up at the Sleep Inn. Originally, we tried to get a room at the same place the team was staying but they were booked. We definitely got the best deal! Clean room, friendly staff, good breakfast, good location. We were closer to the fields and restaurants (I recommend Theresa's Mexican). Overall, it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!