“AWESOME” 5 of 5 stars

Manchester, New Hampshire
11 attraction reviews
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Took my 9 year old there for a change up while we were visiting the Fur Takers Annual Rendezvous in nearby Washington. We homeschool and his past year work included native american studies so it was a natural fit. The Atlatl competition was an added benefit.
-All the staff were very helpful, attentive, and willing to jump in and explain etc. including the Director.
-The displays and living history type exhibits were well maintained with the demonstrators being very well versed in the details of there area (more so than many other similar museums we have attended)
-The grounds are stunning, peaceful and well maintained.

Hat's off to the staff and leadership: Local residents should be very proud to have this gem in their backyard!

Visited June 2014

Willow Street
14 attraction reviews
“A Trip to the Far Past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Interested in early Americans? Interested in archaeology? Then visit Meadowcroft. I was there during a downpour, but it was well worth the visit. Located off the beaten path near Washington, PA, Meadowcroft rock shelter is revealing a fascinating story of people who passed by there some 16,000 years ago. Not only can you see the results of the dig to date, but you can see how archaeologists document a site. A reconstructed Indian village and museum are on the grounds.

Visited May 2014
4 attraction reviews
“Good day trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

It's been over a year since I visited Avella. I went on the recommendation of a local historical society member. The original attraction ( before the rock shelter was famous ), was a reconstructed village on a reclaimed strip mine. It attracted a lot of bus tours. The buildings are authentic and full of historical items. On the day that I visited, I was alone. A very knowledgeable young lady was my guide, and the tour was enjoyable. When you visit be sure to wear walking shoes. The area is hilly. There was a small concession area in the main building.

Visited July 2013
Georgetown, Pa
4 attraction reviews
“Getting better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This place takes around 3 hours at most to see everything. I have been there several times because I like spending money locally and also like to see the improvements. It can be interesting, but it depends on what you are into. If you are into this type of stuff with the Indian lore and history then you will have a great time. If you are just looking for something to do or have kids that are high strung then it is probably not the place for you.

Visited May 2013
Macedonia, Ohio
108 attraction reviews
“Much More Than I Expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I am interested in all that the Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village has to offer and it is worth more exploration than maybe just one visit. It was more than I expected. I was part of a bus tour to this location and was treated to a number of expert talks about the history of the Rockshelter. Here the story of the most recent discovery and research conducted there is explained in a manner all can understand. An historic village has been recreated with tour guides in many buildings. On my visit I enjoyed the talk by a very good teacher in the "common school" that was interesting for us children of all ages! Also there was an American Indian village to explore with a most knowledgeable guide. There were lots of things to see and touch and do. Finally I toured the Miller Museum that was an extra bonus. The gift shop was very nice and there are lots of things children would like. All I could think about is I want to come back. There is a special Indian activities program during the last weekend of September that I will return for in 2014. There was plenty of parking in this beautiful setting, very clean restrooms, and snacks and goodies for sale. This is a must see when you are looking for something different to explore. I understand that the attraction has seasonal hours so I suggest calling to check hours of operation.

Visited November 2013