“Never saw the owners or the breakfast!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Alexander Benjamin House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Andreas
The Alexander Benjamin House
You added The Alexander Benjamin House to your Saves list
818 Lizard Creek Rd, Andreas, PA 18211   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Andreas B&B and Inns
Kensington, Maryland
“Never saw the owners or the breakfast!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I booked the room through Hotels.com. When we arrived (3:30 PM on Saturday), there was a note on the door, telling us to let ourselves in and that our room key was in the door. The weekend was a very cold one in February, so when we opened the door to our room, we were greeted by a rather noisy space heater running full blast. Little did we realize this was the only source of heat for the room! We left around 5 for dinner at a local restaurant, then visited friends and returned to the inn around 9 PM. Still no owners. Sleeping was difficult, because the heater was too noisy to keep running all night and the room was too cold if we turned it off. The next morning, we were surprised to see no one around at the time when "breakfast" was to be served. After noticing a few boxes of cereal on the dining room table, we decided the local diner was a better bet for breakfast. We never saw the owners and certainly won't be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
Washington, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just back today from a one-night stay at the Alexander Benjamin House. My husband and I really enjoyed this Inn. I agree with one other review, that it is in the middle of nowhere and as we were driving to the inn I was becoming discouraged. I sat in our car as my husband rang the doorbell and as soon as I saw Hilary's smile as she greeted my husband, a sense of peace washed over me and I hopped out of the car. She is very pleasant, showed us around the well-maintained house and made us feel very welcome and well, "at home". We stayed in The Green Room which was spacious, clean, clean, clean, and lovely. And did I say how clean the room and bath were? The bathroom was as spotless as if it had just been renovated yesterday!! The pictures of our room and bath are not misleading in the least. The worst thing for me is to pay a lot of money for a room and when you arrive at your destination, it not look at all like you expected. The breakfast was excellent. I can't complain about a thing. We had event tickets for Penns Peak which was a 25 minute drive, but we were off and in the country, it didn't bother me because The Alexander Benjamin House was worth the drive. We drove to Jim Thorpe this morning which was about 15 minutes away and we saw a few of the other B&B's we had been checking out on-line that didn't require a 2-night stay. I would definitely say that most, if not all of their on-line pictures of the outside of their buildings were misleading as to what they actually looked liked for real. I think we made the perfect choice for our lodging. Thank you Hilary!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband & I stayed here in the Blue Room over Labor Day weekend. This place is definitely located in the middle of nowhere and although I don't normally enjoy that, this trip we were looking to unplug and unwind so being in the middle of nowhere was exactly what we were looking for. We only got to meet Hilary but she is a lovely woman. The breakfasts she prepared were delicious. Her blueberry pancakes are to die for.

Despite the fact that this place is in the middle of nowhere, there are a few things to do around here (within a 20-40 min drive). There's a cute little winery within 5 miles. They have some excellent wines; my husband and I bought a half dozen bottles and we seriously wanted to buy more. You can also go hiking or to the beach at Mauch Chunk Lake Park. The town of Jim Thorpe is a quaint place to visit but go early as everything closes super early (like 8 pm, even restaurants). Basically, if you want to do anything around here, you will need to go early as everything only seems to be open from 9 am - 5 pm, which as New Yorkers was difficult for us to adjust to.

Cell service is spotty by the B&B and in the surrounding area. The wifi service also isn't that great but the wired internet connection is fine (free).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

My wife and I arrived very late, but got very helpful directions from Mark (thanks Mark!). Our room was spacious, the rates reasonable, and breakfast (cooked by Mark) was delicious. We only stayed one night, but we will definitely be back when we're in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Warrington, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

When we arrived we were warmly greeted by Hilary. Who gave us a little tour and took us to our room. We stayed in the Green room for two nights. The room was very nice, large bed and bathroom. The room was spotless however the cleanliness of the kitchenette, specifically the refrigerator was disguisting. It has not been cleaned for a very long time as it contained rotten or spoiled food. Also, we didn't mind since we're eco friendly, we were not told that are room would not be cleaned during our stay. Also, we found it odd that the rooms did not have cups or tissues. We had to hunt down cups in the kitchenette and ask for tissues. Breakfast was inconsistent. One day it was freshly cooked by Mark, who mentioned that he likes to serve folks and was very social asking if we needed help with plans and ensuring we had enough food. Hilary perfers a buffet. The buffet was good, however it was not maintained. We did not see her during our meal and some food ran out. Checking out was easy as we paid in full when we arrived. Also, be aware that the inn is on a major highway and down the road from a quarry, by 7am you would hear the trucks,

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
theabhouse, Owner at The Alexander Benjamin House, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
We appreciate your review, but let me clarify some of the following: We clean our kitchenette daily, and the house and refrigerator are professionally cleaned twice weekly. We do not throw any food out that our guests stock in the refrigerator until the weekend is over. If someone stored something unappealing, we would not have thrown it away until after the weekend, unless it was truly rotten. There was no such items in the refrigerator. Secondly, we do not clean our guest rooms while guests are in for a 1 or two night weekend stay. We always supply extra towels, etc. As for cups and tissues, all rooms are provided with Dixie cups and tissues. We do not stock highballs or wine glasses in any rooms because of insurance restrictions. You will have to walk to the kitchenette for those items, but the kitchenette is located within ten feet of our Green Room. Also, we ALWAYS provide ample food on our buffet, but unfortunately, it is not an "all you can eat buffet." We do serve our food at 8:45 a.m., and keep the buffet out until 9:30 a.m. and we do not continue to bring out food. We serve enough that each person can enjoy 3-4 eggs, 4 pieces of meat, 4 or more pancakes, etc., fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, bagels, and more. I am sincerely sorry if this was not enough food for your group, but this is our policy. Also, our food is always freshly prepared,not just on the one day. Again, we are sorry that you were unhappy with your accommodations.
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Unfortunately we didn't get too much time to spend at this place. Overall we liked our short stay at this B&B Hotel. Mark the owner was very nice and friendly. He let me use his phone since there was no wireless service for my cell phone. Our room was very clean and cozy. Since we had to leave very early Mark let us use the kitchen. There was a coffee maker, instant cereal, fridge with some food in it. So I would recommend this place for people who would be passing through this area. Keep in mind there are not too many food spots around Andreas, PA. We found one food plaza but they closed early like by 9 PM on Sunday.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed here as we were planning to do a biking/hiking/white water rafting weekend in nearby Jim Thorpe, PA. The guest house was about 20 minutes driving into Jim Thorpe, but we didn't mind as each day started with a morning drive through the quiet and rolling hills of the rural area. The inn itself is located on a main intersection of a very quiet country town. (One catch to this is that neither my Verizon nor my partners ATT smart phones had very good connections there, so making/getting calls was not easy; however, free WiFi is provided at the inn, so we were able to use that way to access our email, Facebook, and such).
The room was comfortable, clean, and very well priced. It had a quiet, quaint, cozy feeling. ...felt like I was staying at my grandma's house (only bigger). Mark, the owner, prepared/provided delicious breakfast including fresh fruit (which, unfortunately, only my partner took advantage of since 8:30 was just too early for me to get up when I'm on vacation--but that's my fault). There is also a small shared kitchen area, where guests can use refrigerator, sink, utensils, etc.
We wish the room we had booked (the lavender room) had had a bathtub/shower instead of just a shower, but otherwise, we were very happy with the room, the service and the value that we enjoyed on this stay.
In short, if you don't mind driving a little bit extra to and fro, then this is a very good value, especially for couples or mature adults who are not traveling with children and who prefer a relaxing, rustic, and more personal feel to where they stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Alexander Benjamin House? Share your experiences!