“Basic and clean” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Altoona
Ohio
“Basic and clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

After seeing so many negative reviews of the Econo Lodge, I had to set the record straight. The room was clean and quiet and the bed was comfortable. WiFi worked great and there was a basic continental breakfast which was typical of motels at this price range. If you want an inexpensive place to stay when passing through Altoona, the Econo Lodge is fine.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank fh953

Conway, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Cheap, old and run-down. Very much like most of Altoona, especially the downtown area. The hotel is in a sketchy, not very well-lit area, back a bit from the blvd. Sure, the price is low ($49 something) but after seeing the room, I do believe I was overcharged! Check-in was a tedious task, the clerk (who was dressed as if she worked at a gas station) could not figure out which "buttons" to press on the keyboard!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank abgstat

Travelers are raving about these Altoona hotels

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

This Econo Lodge could use an update, carpets are old and bit dirty, front desk staff are friendly, breakfast is bit below average, bottom line cheap price, location is OK. Altoona does not have much to begin with.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank next50years
Ivoryton, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I called from the road to book a room and was not able to as their computers were down. When I arrived I was quoted a price of $49.00 plus tax. Since I planned to leave early and just needed a place to sleep, I took the room. As for the room, it was gross. The air conditioner worked but I could not run it because the fan sounded like pots and pans banging together. With 100 degree weather, the room was like a sauna. The blanket had burn holes in it and the sheet had stains of some sort. Worst yet, I was awoken at 3 AM by what appeared to be a cockroach running over my head which I promptly squashed. Since I would no longer be sleeping, I decided to check out at 4 AM. This too was a problem as I had to argue with the clerk over the now charge of $54.95 plus tax which I paid as I could not stand another minute of this disgusting hotel. Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jerry S
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I booked this hotel over the net, and did not have any illusions about the quality, we were moving to Canada, and just wanted a place to sleep! the biggest attraction was that the hotel allowed pets without any additional fee.

The initial impression was negative and I did not feel safe, but seeing some couples and families I felt confident. The rooms were spacious and fairly clean, there was a refrigerator and a microwave. Overall everything worked. The breakfast was good enough to give you the boost you need in the morning.

I would say, this place is good enough if you want a cheap and functional hotel. I would not recommend this hotel if you are on a pleasure trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Raj S
Corning, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last week and I was asked to come to this site to give my opinion. As far as my stay it was well worth the money I paid for it. I was checked both in and out by a front desk clerk Tanya and she went far and beyond to make me and my wife welcomed and gave us a warm good bye. The rooms are old but very clean. The breakfast is basic but again, for the price, I can not complain. My father in law is in a home in Altoona and we will now be staying there when we come to visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The management is terrible. The person who checked me in didn't know what they were doing so they under charged my card. Then after I checked out they charged me for the balence which is fine.. then the next week comes and they charge me again for the whole balence. So now I'm trying to get my money back and they are arguing with me about how to get it back that its nothing but the banks mistake. This woman is literally yelling at me saying its not her fault when all I need to correct the problem is a note on their letterhead faxed to the bank. And then she refuses to give me the number for the owner and refuses to let me talk to someone else saying that's she too busy to talk to me and hangs up on me. Not to mention that this is the second time I've dealt with this same "manager". Never again at the econolodge in altoona pa.

• Stayed March 2012