“Do not stay here. It is more trouble than it is worth.” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in Altoona
“Do not stay here. It is more trouble than it is worth.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

The management is terrible. The person who checked me in didn't know what they were doing so they under charged my card. Then after I checked out they charged me for the balence which is fine.. then the next week comes and they charge me again for the whole balence. So now I'm trying to get my money back and they are arguing with me about how to get it back that its nothing but the banks mistake. This woman is literally yelling at me saying its not her fault when all I need to correct the problem is a note on their letterhead faxed to the bank. And then she refuses to give me the number for the owner and refuses to let me talk to someone else saying that's she too busy to talk to me and hangs up on me. Not to mention that this is the second time I've dealt with this same "manager". Never again at the econolodge in altoona pa.

• Stayed March 2012

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Somewhere in Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Artwork looked as though it was pulled out of the dumpster; there were stinkbugs crawling on the ceiling; the two beds in the room had unmatching, old comforters and found a fake fingernail on the carpet. At least the towels were clean!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless there is nowhere else to stay
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011 via mobile

I reserved this hotel for my husband and myself to stay for one night while passing through. It was in a decent location that was perfect on our route.

I reserved a room with a King size bed as that I what we have at home. When we arrived, we were given a room with double beds. Now it may not seem like a big deal, but when you are traveling with your husband you should not have to deal with a bed that is sized for a 5 year old. The man at the desk actually told me "there's two of you so what's the problem" and would not move us because they were sold out. So were stuck, slept there and woke up feeling horrible the next day from being scrunched in a tiny bed.

The room was clean, but the shower was old and annoying. It was also dark in the room, and there are broken down junk cars in the lot. I noticed several drunk people too. Check out time is 11 am which I feel is ridiculous.

The desk clerk told me they do not have a manager right now, but in the future I should not book a room online without calling the hotel first to make sure the room I want is available. According to her "this happens all the time when people book online". Well, I'm sorry but it shouldn't and it never happened to me before.

I would only stay here if you are desperate.

• Stayed November 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011 via mobile

All the world loves a complainer!! This a great place for a football weekend. Clean,comfortable, great location and the price is right. No gouging on football weekends. If you want to pay $300 a night, be my guest. !! Duh!!! You're there to sleep, not get a manicure or a facial!!!

• Stayed October 2011
Altoona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

i stayed this sept. they were renovating some rooms. room is clean and quiet. no mold or bugs found.when we checked in the woman who very friendly and would go out of her way to help us with any problems. the only faults I found with the room is the flat pillows which we got another set with no problems. the bed was uncomfortable and we woke up to back aches and aches. if you need ice you need to ask for it at the check-in desk who will give you a bag full.the tv channels you get are 17- no cbs, 2 news channels, weather channel, abc, nbc, animal planet, etc. they have a continental breakfast every am from 6 to 930-make your own waffles, donuts, bagels, oatmeal, hot choc, tea, decaf/caff coffee, orange and apple juice. go by 9am to get stuff-after then they run out. great site to stay- attractions within 10 min, all kinds of stores-malls, drugstores-, any type of food your want-chinese, fast food, restraurants. If you go -have breakfast at the ponderosa for 3.99 buffet with purchase of a drink-only open on weekends for breakfast. we went to the eatn park for breakfast-if you go make sure you get what is on the menu. we ordered and the waitress came to take the order she said sausage or bacon when we should have got both. we should have asked for the menus back and checked it but we didnt. they do offer a breakfast buffet for 7.99 with cold cereal ( friut loops, cheerios) and hot cereal (cream of wheat, oatmeal), all types of friut cut up or whole, eggs, potatoes, muffins, eclairs, toast, sauces (cheese, gravy).

Room Tip: we stayed on the 1st floor in the 1 hundred section. there are 3 steps to go up to a walkway to get...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I travel all across the country and have stayed in many different hotels. My 2 children and went to Altoona to visit my husband who was there for job certification and had been booked at the last minute - this was the only hotel available in the price range. I am DISGUSTED by this hotel and I am not typically a complainer. I'll start with the black mold along the bathtub walls, the fact that we reported a leak onto the carpet outside the bathroom and were told "they would tell maintenence." When we looked closer...found MUSHROOMS growing in the carpet under the sink. Do I need to say more? Other than that the blankets were stained and felt more like a burlap sack. I realize it's cheap and expectations should be low - but we will be writing to the BBB and other agencies to try and get this place shut down. So grossed out I have chloroxed everything we took and am worrried about my two young children who were inside the he%$ hole!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Port Orange, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have NEVER been so disgusted with a hotel/motel in my life. My room was gross, smelled like mildew, carpets were filthy and it had cock roaches. I went to Altoona to attend a funeral, had no idea that there was a motorcycle event going on all hotel/motels were booked for the weekend so I had no choice but to stay where I was. Thank god for lysol, bug spray, bleach and flip flops. If you are going to go to Altoona Pa DO NOT STAY HERE and if you do make sure you've had your shots.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!