“Very good” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here for a week and found the hotel to be one of the best we've stayed in. The staff were friendly and happy to help and recommended several popular sites to visit. The breakfast buffet had lots of choice and the bedrooms were very spacious.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Altoona, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. Our staff love to entertain our guests and help them to find reasons to love Altoona! I hope that you enjoyed the many wonderful attractions and historical elements offered by our region. I would encourage you to visit again during the fall when the leaves begin to change into beautiful shades of crimson, orange and yellow. We hope to see you again on a return trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Very clean, room is large, comfortable, and clean. Breakfast is good and there are a lot of options too choose from.. Staff is very friendly, all at a bargain price. For the money you can not go wrong at the holiday inn!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and felt that for the price you could not go wrong staying with us. It seems that they price of everything these days is growing faster then our paychecks, we are happy to offer a quality stay at a fair price. We hope to see you again!
Staten Island, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I've stayed here a few times when out visiting friends who relocated to Altoona. I've stayed in a number of Holiday Inn Expresses, most in more busy areas, and Ihave to say, this was the best I've stayed at. The room was incredibly clean, the beds were very comfortable, and the breakfast was very good,

The people who worked there were very helpful in giving us directions and recommending places to eat (on our first visit, our friends were still getting the lay of the land and didn't know a lot of places)..

I don't think we paid over $110/night. It was well worth it, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Oh, and they have a discount program with a number of restaurants in the area, you show them your key card and you get a %age off your bill. Not bad. There's free coffee in the lobby too, but we love Sheetz coffee and go whenever we're in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Altoona, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful. Being in a new area can be challenging and something a simple as a good dinner referral can make a big difference. We look forward to seeing you again. We will keep brewing our coffee in the unlikely event that Sheetz runs out! I recommend their marshmallow mocha, yum!
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed here in business and I can only say it was amazing. I walked in and they were having a Hawaiian themed party in the conference room, I and some other guests entered some giveaway contests and had some great food. I also had the chance to meet the owner of this hotel Greg. He was the most gracious host ever, really a great guy and he explained to me that this was a family run business, that made me feel good about spending my money there.

The rooms were spotless. Clean beyond clean, the bedding was very comfortable and the TV's were all brand new. The cafeteria had an amazing free breakfast, buffet style but always freshly stocked with almost anything you could imagine. I will stay here again given the opportunity.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I have shared your sentiments with our owner, Greg. He appreciated hearing such kind words. I am glad that you enjoyed our Luau event. We host several themed nights during the year and hope that you are able to join us again.
Mount Forest, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Having stayed at many HI Express properties, this is certainly one of the best. Immaculate....very clean breakfast area....and very convenient location with plenty of choices for dinner,all giving a 10 0/0 discount.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Altoona, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I have shared your comments with our harding working breakfast staff. They were delighted to hear that you took notice of their efforts. I am pleased that you consider us to be one of the best Holiday Inn hotels that you have stayed at. That is a wonderful compliment to receive. We hope to see you again!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was our second stay in this HI Express. We came back because it is conventienly located, clean, a good deal, the breakfast offers a really nice variety, and the staff are friendly and helpful. As with during our first stay, we did not have our Priority Club Member number with us and the staff were quick to offer to look it up. They had a great attitude and didn't act like we were causing them extra work. The woman who maintained the breakfast and breakfast area had a great attitude as well and was incredibly friendly. The hotel is near lots of restaurants and shopping, and the highway for transportation ease. My only concern was the trash pick up at 11pm from the business in the adjacent parking lot. I will ask for rooms on the other end of the hotel in the future to avoid this again. The room was clean and nicely stocked withe towels. We appreciated having the fridge and microwave in the room. We'll be back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Altoona, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I love to hear from our repeat visitors, I take it as s sign that we are doing something right. We try very hard to ensure high levels of quality service and hire a staff that loves hospitality. I have shared your remarks with our breakfast staff, she smiled even bigger after hearing your compliments. Safe travels & we hope to see you soon.
West Seneca, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

As a road warrior and experienced traveler for the past thirty years, I have had encountered many good, bad, and ugly lodging experiences.
The trip here to the Holiday Inn express in Altoona Pa. has to been one of my top ten worst times. I had an issue with check in, with the clerk and when asked for a manager ,who did arrive and had no interest at all, in trying to to resolve or even listen to my issue, even when i presented my diamond club membership or even asked here to pull my profile and past history with IHG.
I realized I was not getting anywhere and just decided to suck it up and just get my room, I went to my room , the keys did not work, went back downstairs with all my luggage ,computer , and work equipment waited twenty minutes to get my keys reissued , then went back to my room opened the doors, the room smelled like some kind of dead animal had occupied the room before me. I called front desk, nothing they could do, (sold out, sure) I went back to my room TV does not work well ,needed to be replaced.
The reason I chose this hotel, was due to positive reviews, those folks must have been drinking or smoking some really good stuff to give this place any good reviews at all

Room Tip: try the comfort inn or Hampton Inn
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Altoona, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that your experience was less then satisfactory. I do recall your situation at check in. You had booked a government rate room and we could not honor that request because you failed to adhere to the policy stated on the website when booking that discounted rate. "Government ID required". Because we are a branded hotel we must comply with IHG policies. I do apologize if you truly feel that the rest of your trip was unsatisfactory. However I also understand if your anger at the policy of IHG has caused you to issue a harsh review of our hotel. I also apologize for not being able to accept your Diamond Membership, however that program belongs to Hilton brand hotels. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss the situation further.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Altoona? Share your experiences!