“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Altoona
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very clean, one of a few better hotels in Altoona. I really was surprised with the mattress, no backaches.The room and bathroom are standard nothing special.The lobby had plenty of room for guests and was inviting for conversation or playing games. And it does have a wine bar and sells Starbucks coffee.

Room Tip: 4th Floor is usually the quiet floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Litagator2,
We’re happy to hear from you, and we’re glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us at Courtyard Altoona. We hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you again for writing.

Katie Millward, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed one night on our way back from 2800 mile motorcycle trip to Robins Gap, NC. Check in was fast and easy. Room was clean, nicely laid out. Beds were comfortable. Front desk staff recommended a local steak house and even gave us 10% off card. Also advised us to not park our bikes under the front entrance since local police were by earlier and might ticket or tow since we were in fire lane. Breakfast not included as some other hotel/motel chains but that is not a deal breaker. I stayed at Comfort Suites last year and though Courtyard is rated lower, I liked Courtyard better. Much nicer lobby, breakfast, sitting area and rooms are roomier, cleaner and modern.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing the valley gives a better view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
toronegro63,
We’re happy to hear from you! Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us at Courtyard Altoona. It’s wonderful to receive your kind comments about our clean and comfortable accommodations. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while on your motorcycle trip and we hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you once again for writing.

Valley Forge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Check in was fine, hotel looked nice inside and out. My room was reasonably well appointed (flat screen TV, full cable.) Bathroom was basic, with the basin located outside.

So why only 2 stars? There was one problem which totally skeeved me out: The AC unit. First, it's ancient. However, when I entered the room, the grill was off the unit and after I saw the filthy filter and debris, I was too freaked out to turn it on. Thankfully, the weather was cool in the evening and the window slid open.

Admittedly, if the grill were on the AC I probably have been oblivious to the issue. But I didn't remove it; how did Housekeeping not notice this?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Phillygwm,
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of your accommodations was not met with our excellence in service. I will be certain to discuss this review with our housekeeping and maintenance staff inorder to make improvements and heighten our awareness of such issues. We value you as our guest, and hope to have you stay with us again. Thanks again for writing a review.

Westminster, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The room was O.k. The sheets smelled a bit. I was charged a 20$ incidental fee on my Debit card, which i wasn't happy about to begin with, but I was assured it would be refunded immediately at checkout. It was not. I called a few days later and was told it would take 3-5 business days to refund. It did not. I called 7 days later, and was told it takes 7-10 business days for it to be refunded. Still waiting.

The desk in the room had a drawer that was broken, the charge for food/drinks/breakfast, etc. was through the roof, and not even worth it. There was water all over the floor in the elevator area and around the Lobby from I'm guessing people dripping dry after getting out of the pool.

The air-conditioner kicked on and off randomly even after trying to turn it off manually. I would not recommend this hotel for the price paid.

Room Tip: Don't believe a word the staff says.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Eric C,
Thank you for writing a review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially in identifying ways we can improve our guest experience. I apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. The $20 hold for incidentals should have been released after you checked out from our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly if this isn't the case, or if I can be of further assistance. Your feedback is important to us and provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We value you as our guest and hope you will consider staying with us again in the near future. Thank you again.

North Tonawanda, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Loved this HOTEL....Very clean!!!!....Enjoyed the pool. The Hotel staff was great....especially Jamie. People write negative things about Hotels unfairly... Had a wonderful 2 day stay......Complementary coffee and newspapers in the mornings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
robin m,
We’re happy to hear from you, and we’re glad you loved our great hotel and wonderful staff at Courtyard Altoona. I’m delighted to know that our clean hotel, excellent service, and value added amenities made for an enjoyable stay. I’ll be certain to pass along your complimentary feedback to our team and will recognize Jamie with a special commendation for providing such outstanding service. Please plan on visiting us again soon at Courtyard Altoona. Thank you again for writing.

Lakewood, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is my 3rd stay in this property and noticed that they had some renovations done in the lobby and the rooms. Lobby and Rooms looked nice and modern and definitely a big improvement from my past visits (4-5 years ago). I have had great exoeriences in the past but had mixed feelings during my recent stay.
Pros:
1. Rooms are consistent with Marriott standards- Comfy bed, clean, spacious rooms with Balcony (3rd floor), crisp linens, a refrigerator and microwave.
2. Ample parking is free
3. Although the menu is limited, Breakfast at the Bistro is good with huge portions. I had the French Toast with strawberries, sausage patty and scrambled eggs. The portion is enough for 2 people.
4. Management is engaged and jumps in to help.
5. Late check out and the front desk staff at check out (female, glasses, long hair), was so pleasant. She came out of her desk, asked how are stay was and bid us goodbye and safe travels with a sweet smile.
Cons:
1. The walls between the rooms are quite "thin". I can hear conversations next door, shower running, etc. There was a sporting event last weekend and a lot of kids/families in the hotel. The noise level was high and could hear them running in the hall way.
2. Staff friendliness and service is inconsistent. Check-in experience was mediocre. The front desk associate was on the phone when we walked in. We stood right in front of her and she never lifted her head to acknowledge us -no eye contact or "hello I'll be right with you", etc. It was an awkward moment to stand in front of her for a good 10 minutes, watching her with her head down and avoiding eye contact. As soon as she finished her phone conversation, she picked up another call and continued on with the phone conversation. I called her attention and told her that we are checking in. She replied, "guest check out is 12 noon and I do not have any rooms available" (this was about 11:30 AM). "I'll see what I can do" and continued on with her phone conversation. At this time, the manager passed by and saw us standing there, greeted us cheerfully and helped us. She looked in the computer and checked us in right away. The check-in process took less than 1 minute with her.
Housekeepers (2 that were assigned on the 3rd floor) were quite rough and abrupt.No hello's or greeting in the hallway, I saw one eating/munching on pretzels from one of the rooms she was cleaning, The guest elevator is also the service elevator and we have to make room for the cleaning cart in the elevator.She pusehd her way in with her cart and we have to move all the way in the back of the elevator. They are also loud and I felt obnoxious in knocking and "yelling" HOUSEKEEPING as I can hear it called from room to room. We asked for a late check out and as we were leaving, (1 PM), the house keeper made a comment that we are leaving late and implied a negative impact/delay on her work. Totally unnecessary comment as we got approval from the front desk to stay until 1 PM.
I did not feel I got a great value and experience for the price paid this time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea63,
Thank you for sharing feedback about your stay with us at Courtyard Altoona. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority so we’re happy to hear from you. We appreciate your observations on both positive feedback and opportunities for improving our guest experience. We’re sorry for the areas that we fell short in meeting your expectations and sincerely apologize for the inconsistency in service. I will address these items with our team inorder to make improvements to provide a more positive experience. We value you as our guest and appreciate your patronage. We hope you will return for another visit to see our improvements. Thank you again for writing.

Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I recently ended a month long stay at the Courtyard by Marriott. Jen runs a great, accomodating hotel that makes life on the road much easier. The best part of staying at the Courtyard has to be the breakfast staff, Brandon and Rebecca. They made my stay so enjoyable that I wish I had never left. Thank you

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is a nice perk.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
jack c,
We’re happy to have had you as our guest, and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at Courtyard Altoona. I’m pleased to hear that our staff’s excellence in service made for an enjoyable stay and added extra comfort during your visit. I will be certain to share your kind comments with our team and will recognize Jen, Brandon and Rebecca with special accommodations for their excellence in service. We value you as our guest and hope we have an opportunity to extend our hospitality to you in the near future. Thank you again for writing.

Kind regards,
Katie Millward, General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Altoona? Share your experiences!