“Better than ever!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Altoona
United, Pennsylvania
“Better than ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stay here each year while visiting over the Christmas holidays. Last year the lobby was being renovated. WOW, how great it looks. So modern and clean. The room as always was large and so nice. (king room). Used the indoor pool and hot tub and the temp. for winter was great. We requested an early check in and no problem at all. We stayed Dec. 26th during a snowstorm and the entire staff worked so hard to keep the parking lot cleared as well as check in area clean as guests were entering.
The only thing we notice each year is the quality of the TV service. Nice flat screens, but they need to upgrade the service. Every channel is always a bit fuzzy. We will stay here again when in the area.. P.S. Every staff member at this hotel had a smile and was always willing to help in anyway the could! THANK YOU!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Brian03,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear from you, and we greatly appreciate your continued patronage. I'm glad you liked our spacious, comfortable rooms as well as our exceptional staff. Your feedback about the tv service is appreciated and will be taken in review. I'm glad you were treated with smiles and hope you'll return for more.
Katie Millward, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed at this property this week and called ahead to ask the to remove the feathers in the room and the front desk happily took care of my request. The room was very clean, well lit with a very comfortable mattress seating area, mini fridge and LCD TV. I mistakenly forgot my toiletry bag and I asked the front desk where the closest pharmacy was and they just gave me everything I needed to be fresh the next day. The bathroom was well lit with ample pressure in all of the facilities. I had breakfast at the restaurant the next morning and they made great scrambled egg whites with tomatoes and cheese and had a Starbucks so I was able to get two double black eyes to get my day started extremely caffeinated.
The staff was very friendly, attentive and genuinely seemed to have a good time working with each other. A little off he beaten path unless you are going to a convention, but a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you have allergies
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Bob W,
Thank you for your kind review. We're pleased to hear of your pleasant stay with us, and we're delighted to have had you as our guest. I'm glad our staff was attentive to your needs as well as friendly and professional. Glad you liked the Starbucks and breakfast too! Please plan to join us again. We look forward to your next visit.
Katie Millward, General Manager
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was in Altoona on business and arrangement we made by my host. Were I to return to Altoona, I would gladly stay at this property.
I had some time to kill before I went to my next meeting and took advantage of the large mall complex directly across the street. Macy's is one of the anchor stores.
There is easy access to the elevators and the breakfast area is directly off the lobby with some tables in the lobby. Although it was obvious that the hotel was full, there were plenty of tables and food available. No feeling of being in a line at an amusement park.
The in room internet service was easy to access and fast. There is a business section off the lobby where documents can be printed.
The room was clean - the shower had plenty of power and the tub drained easily.
The bed was comfortable - tv worked well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
roadrun50,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Altoona. We're pleased your host made arrangements for you to stay with us, and we're glad you enjoyed your visit. I'm also glad to hear that you ventured out and enjoyed shopping at the nearby mall. I hope you got some good buys! Please come and visit us again the next time you travel to Altoona. We look forward to your return.
Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We traveled to Altoona for a family wedding, and since so many of us were in town and the family home was full, we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. We definitely got the better end of the deal. It was our first stay with Marriott, and we were impressed. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, our room was one of the most attractive hotels rooms we've ever stayed in, and it was quite comfortable. Since we were busy with wedding activities all weekend, we weren't there long enough to enjoy the other hotel amenities, but they looked quite inviting. Best of all we enjoyed the Senior's rate. The problem now is how to explain to my mother on future visits why we're staying at the Marriott instead of with her!

My one request would be to have tea bags added to the coffee making station for us tea drinkers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
MysteryBookWriter,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you chose to stay with us at Courtyard and pleased you enjoyed your visit. I appreciate your compliments about our hotel and staff, and I'm glad your first stay with Marriott was with us. Please visit us again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed there last week. The room was standard Courtyard but clean & we found the bed very comfortable. My one suggestion would be to move the coffee pot to the desk so you have more room at the sink.
No outside restaurants within walking distance there were lots of options only a 5 to 10 minute car ride away. We had the breakfast package thru AAA and the food was very good. You could tell the hot options were freshly made.
Staff was very friendly and helpful with advice about area restaurants. Will stay there again the next time we are in Altoona

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
habs1609,
Thank you for your kind review. We're pleased to hear from you and learn of your pleasant stay with us. I'm glad you liked our friendly and helpful staff as well as our clean and comfy rooms. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Altoona as well! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

During a recent stay I stormed out of my room after opening the patio doors to see a well designed birds near neatly tucked away in one of the corners of the balcony. Since the sight was disappointing and I was certain this was an oversight by someone on the cleaning staff I made my complaint known to the front desk only to told that the sign clearly posted in the front of the building alarmed everyone to this protected species. Causing any harm or removing the nest could result in a huge fine.

With a new perspective I went to my room and began to bird watch and found the birds to be amazingly crafty and good designers.

• Stayed September 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
benfen6293,
Welcome to the wonderful world of birdwatching! We're glad you stayed with us, and hope we passed along a new hobby for you. Thanks for your review and letting us know of your experience. We hope to see you again soon.
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were passing through this area and decided to stay here. My experience with Marriott is that they are always nice - even on their lower ends. Granted, we won this on a Priceline bid and paid very little, but I expected more. The bathroom consisted of an old tub and toilet in one room, and a sink across from a closet in the entry - you know, like older hotels. The bottom of the tub was discolored, but I think it was fairly clean (I did find long hair in it, though.) The countertop was about three feet wide and the coffee maker shared the countertop - I never like my coffee that close to anything to do with the bathroom. We did not use it. The beds were the old-fashioned thin mattresses, and the towels and sheets were paper thin. Check the photos. These were taken before we touched anything - except my husband grabbed the remote (imagine that). It looks okay, but Marriott's finishing touches are just not there. There was a sound of water that kicked off and on all night that kept waking me up. I'm still not sure what that was. Marriott...I was really surprised. This does not represent you very well. They did have free Internet and the front desk lady was very nice. They had a small deli-type place to grab something to eat or drink, but we did not use it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Altoona, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
rednanIllinois,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to have had you as our guest and glad you chose to stay with us. It's regretful for me to hear of your dissatisfaction with our hotel. We strive to provide the highest quality of Marriott service and care so I apologize if you did not feel this was the case during your stay. We value your business and hope you will come and stay with us again.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Altoona? Share your experiences!