“Go-to place for Mexican Food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 142 restaurants in Altoona
Cuisines: Mexican
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Go-to place for Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We always get a great meal here. Fresh, fast food and excellent service keeps us coming back.
The atmosphere is festive and clean. I prefer the grilled chicken salad but you can't go wrong with any dish.

Visited January 2014

86% Recommend
“Really good Mexican right next to I-99”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

From one try, I am very pleased with this restaurant. All the food was well prepared and richly flavored, just a pleasure. The location is fantastic, a tennis-ball throw from I-99 Plant Rd. exit and thus the perfect travel stop.

Visited January 2014
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“1ST choice Mexican Restaurant in the Altoona Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have eaten in Mexican Restaurants in Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Florida and all the Mexican restaurants in Altoona. I have returned to the Montezuma many times. When I am in the mood for Mexican food in the Altoona area, its at Montezuma. The service has always been attentive and helpful. Part of serving great food is presentation on the plate. Every meal I have eaten at the Montezuma has not only tasted great, but the presentation puts them a step above other Mexican Restaurants. Their margaritas are reasonably priced. The atmosphere is friendly and decorated like one would expect in a Mexican Restaurant. Love their 2 for 1 coupons although they can make me feel guilty for getting such great service, great food and great prices. (Even without a coupon)

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best Mex in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Staff is very friendly and attentive. Munch on tortillas and salsa while you wait for your order. Food is great and it doesnt take as long as most places to get in and out, which my wife and I love. Montezumas is our favorite restaurant in Altoona.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Great Texmex food for a good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

There are several Mexican/Texmex restaurants in Altoona, but Montezuma is the only one that has drawn me back to it several times. I've enjoyed every meal I've had there. I like it more than El Campesino's. There's a Chipotle on the other side of town at the other shopping center, but I've always found Chipotle a little overpriced. You can get more food that in my opinion tastes better for a lower price at Montezuma, and there are a huge variety of dishes at Montezuma, as opposed to the burrito-based menu of Chipotle.

I think comparing the two is unfair in some respects--Chipotle is technically a fast food restaurant, whereas Montezuma is the full dining experience with very welcoming wait staff. You can order steaks, seafood-based dishes, grilled chicken breast, and of course various kinds of burritos, tacos, fajitas, quesadillas, taquitos, enchiladas, and so on. Even huevos rancheros! They also have a fairly broad and appealing vegetarian menu--the spinach quesadillas are good, and I'm a meat eater!

They also serve alcohol and have a full bar area in the center of the restaurant with various sports playing on TV screens, with more "family friendly" dining areas on the other side of a partition around the edge of the restaurant.

Some recommended dishes:

Dinner:

Special Montezuma for Two -- if you're with someone, you can share this humongous meal. "Shrimp, steak, chicken and chorizo with bell peppers, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms." At 22 dollars to feed two, it's a great deal. They also have Fajitas for two.

Steak Mexicano (also Ranchero or Americano options -- depending on which, it's cooked completely differently. The steak Mexicano is a rib-eye steak with bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes, and ton of rice, beans, and tortillas. Excellent flavor.

Carnitas -- seasoned and fried pork chunks, served with rice, beans, and tortillas. Somehow they sealed the juices in to an extent that I'm not sure I've had better pork anywhere. Absolutely succulent and tasty, and way more meat than I expected. Quite filling.

Lunch:

Obviously they serve all the dinner menu at lunch as well, but they have a special menu of reduced priced combos and meals at lunch time. They serve the Carnitas at lunch as well, at a reduced price.

They have a LOT of great combos of your more standard Mexican fare, such as the Speedy Gonzales, Chilaquiles, Burrito Special, etc.

Some recommendations are the taco salad, the fajita salad, and the Special Montezuma (grilled chicken with onions and various sides).

Meals I wouldn't recommend (or for an acquired taste):

Watch out for the tomatillo sauce (the green sauce, made with the green tomatoes). It's pretty sour, and the one main dish made with it, the Enchiladas Verdes, was not very good. Again, the sauce is sour, and I found the roast beef pretty dry. It only came with some Spanish rice for a side, as well.

All meals come with complementary chips and salsa (I like the salsa. A lot).

The service as mentioned is great, food gets to you pretty quickly (not more than a ten minute wait at the most, probably for the more intricate dishes, and usually far less) and if they make a mistake they go out of their way to correct it. For instance, one time when visiting alone I went to the restroom. Upon returning I found fresh chips and salsa on the table (I had eaten quite a bit of it, so I was surprised to see them refilled). When the waiter brought my food, he apologized profusely: one of the busboys had thought I'd left and had cleared the table. So the waiter had quickly cleaned the table and replaced everything with fresh dishes. I hadn't even noticed this entire exchange, and I was only in the bathroom for a minute or two.

All in all this is a very enjoyable restaurant, and in my opinion, the best one in Altoona.

• Visited December 2012