“Flavorful menu and unexpectedly charming atmosphere.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business
Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Flavorful menu and unexpectedly charming atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I ate dinner here with a group of people. Based on it's location, I was not expecting this type of restaurant. The exterior is unassuming, but it is quite charming inside. The menu has a great selection of very flavorful dishes. There is a great variety of food. I had mahi-mahi which was cooked very well. I started off with a delcious bisque which I wish I had a larger bowl of and completed the meal with the chef's homemade fugi apple ice cream. Phenomenal.

If you want to try a local restaurant that is a bit more upscale, make reservations at the Altoona Hotel.

• Visited October 2011

Orlando
“Delightful surprise in Altoona”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The Altoona Hotel (which is really only a restaurant) wasn't the #1 rated restaurant in Altoona when I checked the TripAdvisor ratings, but the reviews convinced me it might be the best place in town to host a group of family members following a family reunion. I recommend it. I had a superb 6-mushroom soup and a chicken confit that were both as good as I would expect in a big city bistro. Others in my party had salmon and duck and it was all first class. It's in a residential corner of town, so don't be surprised when your GPS takes you there.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
maine usa
“Absolutely delicious food and superb service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Run, don't walk to this gem of a restaurant. Fine dining in a residential neighborhood. Plain facade but nothing plain about the food and wine. Big city dining with an incredible wine selection. We spent a delightful evening and will definitely return next time we're in the area. My sisters loved the lighter (smaller) selections and the variety was impressive. We were very impressed that so much was made right there. I don't think anything else like this exists within miles of Altoona!

• Visited July 2011
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“5 stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Great food. My wife and I didn't want to eat it because it looked like it was from a Food Network chef. However, we DID eat it and it WAS terrific.

Friendliest staff I've ever seen at a restaurant. I never write reviews for anything, but when we walked out of there, I knew I was going to write this right away. Definitely a high recommendation...

• Visited April 2011
Bedford, Pennsylvania
“Exceptional food, wine, and evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

From start to finish, it was a wonderful evening. The owner, Bjorn I believe, is exceptional with his parings, and is truly passionate food, wine and beer. A pleasure to talk with. I would recommend to absolutely anyone.

Menu is diverse and from what I hear will be changing seasonally.

Would recommend to anyone, and certainly go with the owners suggestions. Been back several times and he has never steered me wrong.

• Visited February 2011