“A Little Slice of Yesteryear” 4 of 5 stars

Altoona, PA
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 20 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: The eighth oldest park in the United States.
Boston
“A Little Slice of Yesteryear”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Lakemont is a small amusement park that can be covered in a couple of hours. It is not your usual type park with asphault walkways and state of the art rides. It seems more like a once empty field where a bunch of rides have been set up much like the traveling carnivals that pass through towns every summer. However, the great thing about this park is they have bought older rides that were put up for sale and have kept them running and maintained. Now you can ride amusements that can't be found anywhere else. The Leap the Dips is the oldest roller coaster in the world, built in 1902, is alone worth the trip. Now you can say you rode the oldest roller coaster in the world. It travels at a breakneck speed of 10 mph (or so they say). It felt more like 12 mph to me. It's a miracle that this roller coaster even operates today -- you can read the display at the park on how it was saved by the efforts and donations of many. There are other rides that were once at every amusement park like the Toboggan and the Skydiver. Very few still operate today. The Skyliner roller coaster broke down the day I was there, so I didn't get to ride that. Add to that a dozen more flat rides like the octopus, antique cars, scrambler and tilt-a-whirl and it can be a fun few hours for adults, teens and children alike. I went on a half price midweek day and rode everything for $3. Heck, parking at the bigger parks costs more than that. Sure the staff could be trained to be a little friendlier, but they are only making minimum wage and I only paid $3. If you'd rather have Disney, it will set you back a few hundred plus plane fare.

parkviewmom
“Dirty and Unsafe, dont waste the time or money.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

We have seaon passes to Delgrosso's but I wanted to take the kids somewhere different for a change. WHAT A MISTAKE! Even if the admission was free I wouldn't "risk" taking my children back. The rides are old and unsafe, the park is very dirty and the employees are rude and untrained. The park was so filthy I wouldn't even purchase a soft drink. The ride operators don't take the time to measure you children for safety standards and I thought my son was going to fall out of the skyliner. Overall, the park is very unkept. The ride area has mostly dirt walkways and no shade trees. I have seen county fairs with more class. The rides and ride operators reminded me more of what you would see at a traveling carnival. My 8 year old wanted to leave. Needless to say we only stayed about two hours and headed north on I99 towards Delgrosso's. Delgrosso's is an extrememly clean, well manicured park with excellent food and low prices. If your visiting the Altoona area don't waste you time or money on Lakemont, just stay on I99 and head towards the Bellwood exit to Delgrosso's.

Baltimore MD USA
“Nice little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

My family and I just visited Lakemont Park. It's a nice old style amusement park that cost $10.00 per head to ride and use the water park all day. With the exception of the wooden roller coasters, the amount and type of rides are similar to when a roving carnival comes into your hometown. I personally thought the place could use a bit of sprucing up, but it didn't look shabby. We went on free soda Friday and the park was not crowded at all.

Altoona is blessed to have two small time amusement parks nearby. In Baltimore, we have none. We used to have similar parks, but they are long gone.

I recommend Lakemont for anyone looking for that small town feel of a bygone era.

Butler, Pa
“This isn't a bad park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

I think some people are too easily upset after reading some of the previous reviews. Lakemont is a nice, small park. Yes, some things could use cleaning up, but it is not a filthy death trap. The rides must pass inspection, and if they were unsafe, would not be operating. I have found that anywhere you go you will have some unfriendly people. I see it a Kennywood all the time. You are getting a wonderful bargain, a fun day, and if you wish, you can pack a lunch. The rides may be jerky, but they are old, original rides. That's the way it was back then. I cannot speak for the waterpark, but my sister says it's fun for the kids, and with 5, she would know if it was unsafe. My kids range from 18 mos to 13 yrs, and the older 3 ask to go back every year. ( even after being to Kennywood) I think you should visit the park, and judge for yourself. These little parks are becoming fewer and farther. I would hate to see something only 2 hrs from home be eliminated by bad reviews. Go, and then write a review yourself. Be Blessed, and have a great summer.

Central ,Pa
“Definatley worth the trip .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

We just got back from a trip to Lakemont park . and I must say we certainly plan on going back.. We will only go on "dollar Wednesdays" though where the wristband admission was only 3 dollars a person. and the mini golf was 1 dollar a round. This is not a Huge park by any means. This is really not even a Medium size Park, But It is really is nice. there are 2 larger roller coasters . the one called " leap the Dips" is some form of historic coaster.....but it really feels like it ... I guess that is the fun of it , but you feel like the wood is going to crumble beneeth you , OR your cart is going to bust open ... Should have been a sign when the staff had to push us over to the incline... To its defense
I do believe this type of coaster is weight driven. anyhow. this is a very nice day out. the water part of the park is nice, they also have plenty of picnic areas around the park . I read the reviews hear and thought it was to much hassle to take our food but, I really would like to say do it, you can carry in small charcoal grills, coolers ect . as previously said the food is way overpriced and even my huibby who eats anything was so unpleased...Packing food and drinks next time. All and all we will go back for another get away . Very nice Park about 30 rides in total about 5-8 are for the little ones . go carts a nice but they are an extra fee ... but only paying 12 dollars for a family of four to ride and swim all day we could afford it ...
Just a Nice day out that didnt break ther bank ... Definatley take your own food .

Been to Lakemont Park? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Lakemont Park, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.