“Dirty, hidden fee, terrible breakfast. Drive on by and don't stop to look.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn Allentown

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn Allentown to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn Allentown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2115 Downyflake Ln., Allentown, PA 18103 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #25 of 26 hotels in Allentown
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Dirty, hidden fee, terrible breakfast. Drive on by and don't stop to look.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We used a travel coupon, but should have checked this place out on the Internet,. The majority of the other reviews are correct. Though the bathroom was clean, it looked like the paint on the bathroom door around the knob hadn't been cleaned in months (years?). The room smelled ok, the AC was fine, but no hot water at night for a shower. It was barely lukewarm. Though the room was otherwise clean, the stairs to the 2nd floor looked like they hadn't been vacuumed. Had to pull the door tightly to get it to lock. Breakfast was a travesty. The "orange juice" looked like orange kool aid. I don't know what the liquid red stuff was. I didn't eat anything there. When you check in you are given the TV remote (apparently people have walked off with them). That was a first for me and didn't give me confidence. The room was missing a wash cloth and hand towel. When I mentioned this to the person at the desk at check out, he didn't seem to care. We had a second floor room. One area on the first floor seemed to have unsavory characters hanging about. After we checked in, my wife read the fine print on the room rental agreement. Turns out you get charged $1.50 per night for the safe even if you don't use it. Had to get that refunded on my credit card on check out. I checked the mattress for bed bugs and didn't see any signs, but another post mentioned them, so this has me a bit nervous.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here, ask to see the room first. A good way to check cleanliness *(if every...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Blomidon, Nova Scotia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I blame myself for this bad experience as I failed to read Trip Advisor before booking. This place is horrid. The first indication we were in for a bad night was when immediately upon arriving, we dumped our bags, and left for a meal. We did 'close' the door behind us. Upon returning, the door was wide open. After our initial panic, we found that all of our valuables were still there...including passports and laptop. Inspecting the door we saw that it did not close properly at all. It looked closed, but unless it was slammed shut, the catch did not catch. There was no card reader in these old doors, which were in disrepair. Next problem...the TV. It decided to randomly go off...the screen just turned blue. We gave up on the TV. Next problem...there was no way of 'stopping' the pathetically small tub. My wife was not happy. Next problem...the paper thin walls. Two women decided to have a fight in the middle of the night...you heard every single word they were saying. Next problem...the A/C did nothing at all. Totally broken. You could turn it on...nothing happened. The breakfast? Forget it. You do not want to go into this dirty little hole to get their 'free' coffee. Leave fast...very fast. So, I complained to the 'front desk' when checking out. How was this handled? No apology. No credit. Only I was told I should have come and told the clerk of my problems, and they would all be fixed! Right...in the middle of the night I would get a new TV, a new A/C, a new tub, and a new door!! So, excuse me...it was all my fault. Oh, did I mention that the train comes right through your room a number of times during the night?? Well, it does! This was two horrible Econolodge experiences in a row, and I had one more Econolodge to go before arriving home. Thankfully, the next place was how a motel should be, and I now will proceed to give that motel a very good review!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...please!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Graham, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I are on vacation and needed a place to stay last night. We got a coupon from the books you can get at a welcome center and found this Econo Lodge for $49.99 plus tax. When we arrived we thought that the way the motel and office were cut up was kind of strange, but we gave it no more thought and proceeded to check in. The fella at the desk was not rude, but seemed put out that I had the coupon. We proceeded to drive around the motel to try and find the stairs to the 2nd floor. This motel is 2 floors with interier halls and quite difficult to get around in. As soon as we opened the stair door, we noticed an odor but it was not so over powering that we felt compelled to leave. We got into our room and we were terribly upset. The room was small and right away I noticed that the beds were hard and the 2 pillows on each bed were old and flattened. The sink area had not been cleaned, the mirror over the sink was nasty, the one soap had been opened and it looked like the one set of wash cloth and towel had possibly been used. In the bathroom, the vent was so loud that you could not stand being in there for any length of time, the lighting was poor, the bath mat looked like it had been used and the walls and floor were dirty. The knob to control the refridgerator temp was broken, the heat/air unit worked poorly and the furniture was old looking.The window was not shut tight so of course, it was not locked. There was no phone in the room to be found any where.There is a safe in the room but did not work. Had one of my grandsons not gotten sick on his stomache while there, we would have demanded our money back. I saved the best for last though....all night long we listened to freight and /or commuter trains go speeding by . The tracks are within 100 feet of the motel, on the back side. Every time one went by it scared us half to death. This Econo Lodge is on the same level as a Relax Inn or an Economy Inn and is so over priced. The only pros I could find was the tv package and the internet.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms because of the train....
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
at home
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Very risky area, young people in other rooms are very loud, come and go whole night, have party all night.
Cars arrive and leave whole night, horns sounds, dors will be smashed.
Fridge door broken so fridge don't work, also fan don't work.
Carpet is dirty, looks like was notvacuumed for weeks.
You get extra charged for a safe in the room, but can't open and use the safe.

Next morning, your car is damaged !

If you want to meet the Police, rent this motel !

At least, Police recommend you, not to stay for weekends ! ! !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Ok, I wish I would have read these reviews before my girlfriend and I spent the night here, I would have taken
the general advice and STAYED AWAY!!! A friend had said this place was "great!"

I have stayed at Econo Lodges before (Quakertown, PA/Somers Point-Ocean City, NJ for instance) and they were wonderful, clean, nice, and pleasant. Even the front desk help was nice from what I can remember. This place was the polar opposite.

To start off with, we check in, the front desk help in not very friendly. He mumbled where my room was but I couldn't understand him and he walked away. After a brief parking lot tour, we find our room.

We open the door, and their are dirty rags strewn about the floor right there, and there are USED tissues INSIDE the refrigerator. There was also a strange odor that I can't put my finger on, it just smelled a little funny at first.
The bucket for ice was FILTHY, looked like it had never EVER been cleaned, and there was no plastic baggie to put inside it (like other hotels always seem to supply). There's also no handtowels or washrags in the bathroom.

So I walk over to the office to get a new ice bucket, the office door is locked. The window is open, however. No one seems to be there, or is responding to my "Hellos?!". While here, another hotel guest, we'll call him "Jim Bob", pulls up, and also notices the office door is locked. He asks me where room 213 or something is, I had no idea. So, as Jim Bob starts SCREAMING into the open window, I walk back to my room. I wait 10 minutes and walk to the office again, which is open this time.

The guy at the desk tells me there's no other ice buckets he can give me, but he did give me a plastic baggie for it (after fumbling around in a drawer full of other crap for about 2 minutes. He also gives me some additional towels, that was good.
He also tells me the ice machine is "right there", and points somewhere, however the ice machine was not "there"...

There were several people who sounded like they were right outside our room who would talk VERY LOUDLY randomly throughout the night, and whoever was in the room above us sounded like they were running around and crashing into walls all night.

So fast forward to the next morning, we are getting ready to leave, but we notice these little BROWN things on the floor. Some were next to the bed against the wall, some were hidden across the room behind the table, they were either A) Cat treats (who the heck would bring a cat here?) or B) Rat poo. I'm pretty sure the answer is B.

So I start complaining to the manager after checking out, and he cuts me off in his thick accent "You call us before we change you room!"

Never again will we stay here!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hershey, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

1. Air conditioner unit would not turn off unless unplugged. Control buttons didn't work.
2. No hot water.
3. Another group of guests held a party in the parking lot underneath my 2nd story
window. This party went on from around 6p to after 2a.
4. The front desk clerk continued to eat his Subway dinner as I was checking in.
5. The property was disgusting

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This place is filthy, disgusting. My brand new car got scratched badly overnight in this rat hole's parking lot. I suspected something like that could have happened considering the crowd of drunken people in the parking lot. The office attendant was rude and obtuse, he denied that people drank in the parking lot (despite the traces of vomit and several witnesses who attested to that fact).
He was unwilling to review the cameras and then said they dodn't work are are ony there for show.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn Allentown? Share your experiences!