“I will be back” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 375 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: Seafood, Gastropub, Oyster Bar, Chowder
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Youell's Oyster House, one of the oldest continuously operating restaurants in America, was destroyed by fire January 22, 2013.Visit our beautiful new restaurant. Now open Sundays. Fresh Seafood, Raw Bar, Varietal Oysters, Seafood Towers, Gastropub Fare. Full compliment of Craft Brews on draft. Generous wine, scotch, cognac and cocktail selection for the most discriminating imbiber Upscale, casual atmosphere for any and all occasions, including business and family gatherings, as well as private parties on our mezzanine level.
Hellertown, PA
“I will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Visited this restaurant for the first time. It is a quaint little restaurant in a residential neighborhood. I had the crab bisque as an appetizer. Very good and creamy. Would have loved seconds. I was going to go with a crab dish for my dinner but changed my mind at the last second and ordered the salmon with lump crab meat on top. The salmon was good, probably average, and so were the sides it came with (roasted sweet potatoes with a green bean hash). My friends ordered lobster dishes and raved about how good they were. I would go back, however, I would most likely try something else. Skipped dessert - too full.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great food ok atomosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

For a seafood place in allentown pa, I was quite surprised. My daughter had the crab bisque which was great. Husband had the steak and cake special, steak was very good, and a very good portion of crab I had the tuna, which in, my view was a bit over seasoned but cooked perfectly. Good wine list and good beer. Service was informative yet not over powering, never had an empty glass, yeah! Only negative items, rolls where over cooked on the bottom,almost as if they warm up yesterday's rolls. The atomosphere, in my view could use an update, but to honest I'd rather have good food over good atmosphere any day! We will be back

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Slipping, slipping, slipping.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Our most recent visit included poor waiter/reception/service issues with noticeable decline in the dress and demeanor of personnel.

Two menu items were below average from previous visits.

The premiered soft shell crabs were mushy and over treated with sauce that dominated and hid the taste of the crab. What ever happen to lightly floured pan fried soft-shelleds in butter on crispy toast? What is being hidden under all of that sauce?

The Paella tasted as if it was made with precooked leftovers including the peas which looked like they were canned. To top it off ,a salad (even a small one) was not available as an included side with the only reasonably close match being pickled coleslaw. Strange!

Recent visits by several of our friend produced similar observations. I get the impression that the care of the business is suffering.

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Sit at the Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011 via mobile

We love going here during the week and having drinks and dinner at the bar. I'm a crabcake fan and my husband wanders through the menu choosing things that rarely fail to delight him.

We meet fun new friends there every time and live the full bellies we leave with!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Chesapeake Bay Seafood in Allentown, Pa. Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Upscale, quiet atmosphere of fine dining. A definate special occasion restaurant for the seafood lover. This is not your Red Lobster, the food actually looks like they advertise but don't deliver. Deliver they do at this long time Lehigh Valley decades old family run establishment. A little tricky to find but can be done, very close to Hamilton and 24th about two blocks and in one street. A full menu but except for the finnicky seafood is the way to go.
Softshell crabs most of the time, cooked as you like them. My mouth waters when I think of the place but, bring your wallet and/or credit card.

• Visited November 2010