“Stay away from the fish” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 375 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Allentown Brew Works is housed inside the historic Harold’s Furniture Building at 812 West Hamilton Street. Years in the making, the Allentown restaurant and brewery are part of the continuing vision of the Fegley family that established the original Bethlehem Brew Works in 1998.Proud to be part of the resurging downtown, the 400 seat restaurant is a testament to the vibrant heartbeat that thrives in this “Queen City.”
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Stay away from the fish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I had a large party at the resturant. Twenty two of the 68 guests ordered the grilled salmon drizzled in Lemon Shallot Wine Sauce. Sound good? It wasn't. Over cooked, very dry, mostly considered it as uneditible. Great bar though and nice wait staff

• 1 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax VA
“Nice brewpub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Nice choices of beers brewed on premises. Food was good but not outstanding. Service was very friendly. Prices were higher than I expected for Allentown - a bit lower than a big city, but no bargain. Very loud, even though the place wasn't very full.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“average food, good beer, HORRIBLE service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Large menu. Had the brew works wit beer. Pretty good. The roast beef was average and the cheese steak was so-so. The service was BAD. We ordered nachos and the server forgot to put that in. She brought us the wrong beers and after my husband took a sip, she took it from him. I hope she didn't take it to another table. She also did a LOT of eye rolling and said she had only been working there a month. Not really worth it, so consider other places.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
rochester ny
“Great Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

This restaurant was really fun. The atmosphere is really trendy. We went with a group of 16 and were seated right away upstairs. Our waiter was really friendly and had no problem splitting out bill among 3 families. Its a little loud, which is fine when you're dining with young kids who are also a little loud. Soft pretzel for the appetizer were great with the beer and cheese soup. My family all got burgers and fries which were perfect. I got the hummus platter (being a vegetarian) and it was the best hummus I ever had. They also had a few other vegetarian options which is nice. Everyone raved about the food except for one person who got the "Monument Pasta". It was not very good. lacked any flavor at all. I would definately eat here again!!

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
“Not a clone of its sibling restaurants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Decided it was about time that we tried the new Allentown location after having had dinner at the Bethlehem location a few times. I'd heard a lot of people say it was a lot nicer than the Bethlehem location, so I figured it was worth a shot.

It was pretty busy for a Sunday evening anywhere, let alone downtown Allentown. The bar only had a few chairs open, and they were clean out of booths, so we ended up at a high table beside the bar. Our server was generally friendly, though service was pretty slow.

The Fegley's Fondue of French Dip was good...I really like their beer/cheese soup as a dip for the fries & the sandwich, though I don't think I'd like it on its own as an appetizer. My husband enjoyed his pulled pork, but didn't think it was really on par for good Southern barbecue. Our dessert, the cranberry bread pudding, was one of the best bread puddings I've had in a long time. It's listed at $5, but when the bill came, it said $6.50. When I questioned the server, she said it was because of the ice cream (they do charge $1.50 to make a dessert a la mode), but the description clearly states that it is served with ice cream - as did many of the other dishes. They removed the extra charge, but I was a little concerned that they are stating one price on their menu and then clearly charging customers other prices. If you want to charge extra for ice cream, that's fine, but I don't think you should advertise that the dish comes with ice cream and then charge extra for it. I just ordered the bread pudding, not bread pudding a la mode.

Plenty of good beer on tap to choose from, and the Allentown location has great daily specials, as well as great happy hour & late night ones. I don't believe the Bethlehem location offers nearly as much on that front.

I didn't really feel that the downstairs was any more upscale than the Bethlehem location, but it is a lot more roomy. I feel claustrophobic sometimes in downtown Bethlehem when it's busy.

We'd go back, if we were in the area. I'm not sure its worth the extra drive from Bethlehem, though, when you've got a very similar place right in town.