“Looking forward to when they're really polished” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Brazilian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Looking forward to when they're really polished”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had dinner here with a friend a few nights ago. I've been to many rodizio style restaurants in the past, so I was familiar with the concept.

The ambience is clean and inviting. I was immediately greeted by the hostess, who confirmed my reservation.

We were seated, and our waitress, Ashley, came by to explain how the restaurant worked for the benefit of my friend. We each ordered a glass of Argentine malbec-cab and the full rodizio meal, which includes both the salad bar and the grilled meat selection.

The salad bar had some very nice offerings, including a competent ceviche, various cheeses, a cabbage salad with toasted coconut and a variety of vegetables. There were some hot items, including a chicken soup, mashed potatoes and beef stroganoff.

After we finished our salads, we turned the marker from red to green (most rodizio restaurants use a small chip, but this restaurant used a larger plastic marker). The meat selection was very good, and the servers came around regularly to replenish our supply of meats. They quickly learned what our preferences were for doneness of beef and made sure that we received meat that was cooked to our liking.

The manager made several visits to ensure that everything was going well. I mentioned that I was disappointed that there was no lamb on the menu (it's listed on the menu on the website, but there is a note that it is not available at all locations). He informed me that lamb was currently very expensive, and they chose to leave it off of the menu in order to keep prices down. He did say that it would probably be available on some weekends as a chef's special. He asked if there were any meats that we particularly liked, and he came by several times with spits of our favorites so that we received what we liked.

The variety of meats was good-- several kinds of beef, roast pork, turkey with bacon, fish, linguica (Brazilian sausage) and chicken hearts. I would have liked to have had some additional beef cuts--you usually see flank steak and ribeye at these places. But I realize that they were shooting for a particular price point, and the restaurant is a good value for what they serve.

Our waitress was very pleasant and attentive. The servers who cut the meat were also attentive, but they were clearly still learning. The restaurant has only been open for a few weeks, and hand carving meat in front of customers with deftness and polish is something that only comes with experience.

We were too full for dessert or coffee.

They do have an annoying birthday ritual with drums and singing if you feel like humiliating someone on their birthday. This happened several times during our dinner.

Overally, we had a really nice experience, and I plan to return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Great food, service. Wife and I ate there last night about 2 weeks after its debut. Large selection of appetizers. Gauchos bring large selection of meats around to your table in a never ending parade. You can eat as much or little at you own pace. So our dinner took nearly 2 hours and we were not hurried. Our server Ashley was plenty attentive but not too much. Highly recommend for wide selection of meats. Beef, pork, chicken, tilapia. Whew super.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
PA
“Be very careful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

For my father's 91st birthday we decided to take him to the Rodizio Grill in Allentown, PA. Being 91, he likes to eat a little early so we got there at 5 pm. The cost is $27.99 per person plus tax and tip which does not include any drinks or deserts. The salad bar was fair, however there were only a few "hot" items and the hot items (mashed potatoes, rice) were not hot, they weren't even warm. They were so cold I had to tell our waitress (whom we rarely saw) that they needed to heat these items up. The waitress also never cleared the dirty plates from our table, I literally had to place them on another table so we had room on our table. With regards to the meat they had two guys serving about 10 tables and the meat was either rare or they didn't make it over to your table. I literally had to flag them down to get them to our table. There were approx. 10 different types of meat and one fish. All of them tasted good except the fish which, although we asked for it three times, we never received any. I've been to Fog de Chao in Philadelphia and there is absolutely no comparison. Fogo is so superior and superb in every aspect without a doubt. The manager, Pedro, made rounds to several of the tables asking the patrons how their meal was. To this point the service was poor and the food was good when they actually made their way to our table. Now the real sticking point, the waitress brought over our check. The check was $125.05 for 4 people and I gave her two $100 bills. I specifically stated to the waitress that there were two $100 bills inside so there would be no mistakes. A few minutes later the manager, Pedro, came to the table and placed the small folder (that holds the check and change) on the table with my change. I opened up the small folder that the check and change were in to notice that I had received $24.95 change, obviously not correct. I asked someone to have Pedro come over to the table. I said nothing to any employee or Pedro why I wanted him at the table. As he approached the table the first and only words out of his mouth were " I didn't give you enough money", he didn't say another word. I just nodded my head in agreement without saying a word, he took the check folder with the incorrect change, went back to the register, and came back with exactly the correct amount of change. My question is, without saying one word to him how did he know to come back with exactly the correct amount of change? Perhaps he asked the waitress but I watched him and he didn't talk to her. I could have gave him $130, $140, $150, or $200 for the $125.05 check. He never asked what I gave him he just came back with change for $200. It could have been an honest error, but it just does not pass the sniff test with me. Be very careful when you get your change. I would not go back to this restaurant again because I don't think the price is justified by the service or food. The incorrect change given to me by the manager was just the nail in the coffin!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere