“Nice ending...” 4 of 5 stars

Cross street: 9th and Hamilton
New York City, New York
“Nice ending...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

...to an awful expereince at Allentown Brewworks Restaurant located just down the street!

Here we sat outside and had martini's and dessert. Entertained by our informative if not slightly airheaded server (his name escapes me). We were sorry we had not eaten dinner here also (we had contemplated it earlier from outside but decided it was a bit pricey).

Although we had to ask for eating utensils, this was an overall nice and pleasant experience.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Pennsylvania
“Never again !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We went last month for dinner which was our second visit. The service was so incredibly bad it was laughable. Or at least I thought so, my husband was furious. The waiter asked us if we wanted water and bread but then never brought it. After asking 4 times we finally got water. A very, very long period of time passed with no water, bread or salads.

At least 40 minutes after we ordered our salads arrived with my husband's entree. My husband told the waiter he'd not only like to eat his entree with his wife but would also like to eat his salad first. The waiter took the entree back to the kitchen.

Before we were finished with our salads he came back with both entrees. My squash ravioli was complete mush. I didnt dare send anything back at this point because it was apparent nothing would improve. When he brought us the entrees he asked if we still wanted the bread !
He didnt come back and see if everything was okay until we were finished but we sort of expected that by now.

We had to beg him to bring the check and when he did it was wrong. So another long wait to find him and fix it. The two ladies sitting behind us were laughing and said he did the same to them. The restaurant was only 1/2 full at best and they seemed overstaffed yet, everyone rushed around as if they couldnt keep up. My husband said his meal was acceptable but not noteworthy. Dinner may have been better had the waiter not screwed it up.

This was hands down the absolute WORST service either of us EVER experienced. The waiter was so unattentive and so bad that it didnt seem possible. At one point I was convinced we were on candid camera !! Unfortunately that wasnt the case.

Two hours later we were finally free to leave. I didnt bother to ask for a manager the whole place just seemed to incompetent to bother. We just wanted to get out of there. It was clear that our waiter never waited a single table in his life, let alone somewhere billed as a fine dining establishment. Shame on management for turning this guys loose without training him.

There are far better restaurants to spend out money in with impeccable service.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Manager that does her job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

I have been a guest at this restaurant many times, and know the manager Marina personally. She is an excellent manager who does what needs to been done in a proper manner. The server Jason in question of wether he is a good server I am unsure since I sit at the bar mostly but I have always seen him fumbling around like he had no idea what he was doing, and was always unable to count back the change for his costumers in the month that he had work for Sangria.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Allentown PA
“Good restaurant, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

This is a restaurant with good food, nice decor, and a young vibe. The neighborhood is a little on the rough side. One complaint is that my husband was burned by the paella pan which the waitress failed to warn him was hot, and placed in front of him so that it was hard not to reach for it without touching the metal, straight-from-the-oven handles.
The waitress was not apologetic and my husband had to ask to speak to the manager. This ruined an otherwise good dining experience. We had eaten here several times before this occurred. My favorite dish here is the scallops.

Visited February 2012
Allentown, PA
“We Were Pleasantly Surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We had heard good and bad reviews of this restaurant. Even the good ones were not that great, but we decided to give the restaurant a shot. Gosh, are we ever glad that we did!

We visited Sangria on a Friday night.....a bit on the early side (6PM). There was a group of people seated at the bar, but we were the first couple seated for dining that night, it appeared.

Our server, Sonja (spelling???), was both friendly and attentive. While we were there, we also had other servers coming to our table to top off our water glasses, bring us bread, and clear off empty dishes. I don't know if that is their usual standard or because the restaurant was slow when we were first seated. All that I know is that the team worked together to create a great dining experience for us.

And the food.............wonderful!!!! I ordered the Diver Scallops with Lobster & Pumpkin Bread Pudding. It was terrific! My spouse had the Steak on a Plate. Apparently, usually this entree is served as a screaming hot plate delivered to your table along with the filet and you make the steak table-side. Sonja offered my husband that choice or the option of having the chef prepare it for him. He picked the easy way out.... and let the chef do the cooking.... and the beef was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!
The filet had to be the most tender and the tastiest that he has had for a l-o-n-g time. He orders beef quite often when we are dining out, so this is a true compliment to Abe Lopez.

Kudos to you, Abe, and your fine staff for providing us with a wonderful meal that we were totally not expecting!

• Visited May 2012