“Don't waste your money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Allentown
Manheim, Pennsylvania
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We chose this hotel because of it's proximity for our softball tournament & the reviews online. This was a King Suite. It smelled awful, like cigarette smoke. The walls & floors were stained. The pool smelled of chlorine so bad our eyes were burning in minutes & needed to leave.. Never again..next time we'll spent the extra time & money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Danielle and Sarah S were very helpful in getting us settled here at the hotel. They also informed us about an amazing discount at the hibachi resuraunt if we present our key card. This is a great hotel with very friendly staff! Very satisfied, the staff deserves a raise!:)

• Stayed June 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to Dorney Park and had an indoor pool. The location was great, with restaurants and shopping within a very reasonable proximity. The staff was knowledgable and helpful with directions. The hotel was not fancy, but I knew I wasn't staying at the Ritz. When I return to Allentown I will book this hotel again.

Room Tip: You don't always want to sit on a bed. the couch and extra room was great, even though there we...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
hazleton, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband & I chose this facility because it was close to where we needed to be early the next morning. I had booked a room with a king bed, but decided on two doubles when we got there. The desk clerk said he could "upgrade" us to a suite for just $10 more. We took it. The "suite" was no bigger than many hotel rooms. They had a couch there, but there was a chair blocking access to it. There was another chair in the room also. There were two microwaves, one on top of the other. The table safe was sitting on the floor. The beds were uncomfortable. One bed was inches from the wall heater/AC unit and could not be moved. The only good thing about the room is that it was clean. If we had not been so tired, I would have changed rooms, or perhaps hotels.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before taking it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We were staying at this hotel as it was close to a softball tournament my daughter was playing in. First the beds were covered in plastic, so imagine all of the noise as you are trying to sleep. Second, lets discuss the bathroom. The shower curtain did not stay open, so the floor got soaked. Both me and my daughter almost took a header...not fun. This was after we had to take a shower in extreme temperatures (cold and hot) as the know was reaaly hard to turn. We could not get any good temperature - she took a very cold shower and I almost was burned as the water was so hot (fastest shower ever). The bathroom also smelled like mold and the bathroom door has a bunch of water damage. The manager was not there when we checked out and of course he did not call me back. When I finally got a hold of him on the phone and tried to talk with the manager, "Mack", he was rude, hard to understand and hung up on me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Merida, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This place is like a concentration camp. They have cameras all over the place, including one directed toward the bed! Staff is INCREDIBLY rude. The room I was given smelled like a locker room and was dirty to boot. I complained about the woman at the desk throwing a key card at me and I was told I misinterpreted the incident.
I could go on and on. Don't stay there, believe me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
FourStar1, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Allentown/Dorney, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Howard Johnson managment aims to please and make sure all Guests arrive and depart with a smile. Our hotel features a highly professional staff and a newly upgraded hotel.
With respect to "GO GREEN", our hotel has energy sensors to reduce consumtion of energy when room is vacant. The motion, not a camera in the room, keeps with the Environment Policy. Please remove this review due to this isolated and mentally instable guest. As you can see, all our reviews are POSITIVE and our staff aims to KEEP ALL GUESTS HAPPY.

Thank you...
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The pool was picture perfect. The jacuzzi was a great relaxer after walking all day at Dorney park.
Since we have 3 kids, I used the sleeper sofa which was much better than even the expensive hotels. We will be back with later this summer for a field trip with group. I would say the hotel is a good 4.5 out of 5.
The rooms were As good as a Marriott. The pool was better than a Marriott. The service was excellent. The price was best.

Recommend to all. Great stay great price and very friendly

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Allentown/Dorney? Share your experiences!