“Great place, good food - never disappoints” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 44 Restaurants in Aliquippa
Cuisines: American
Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
“Great place, good food - never disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Have been here several times with family. Their menu is so large it takes a while to order. Every thing my family has had we have enjoyed and some of us are kind of picky too. Try the Lobster boat with the lemon cream sauce - I know it sounds weird but it is fantastic!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Western Pennsylvania
“Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road? To Get to Harold’s Inn!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The Aliquippa area is not a hotbed for fine cuisine. I found this out after eating a hockey-puck for a steak at Aliquippa’s supposedly highest-rated restaurant, JW Hall’s Steak and Seafood. I’m still reeling over any place that seems to have a lot of trouble (based on numerous reviews including my own) properly cooking one of their signature dishes. Where is Chef Gordon Ramsey when you need him?

That being said, Harold’s doesn’t pretend to be anything but what it is, which is home-style comfort food in a family-friendly setting. And while the word “Chicken” is technically not part of their branded name (they are however, widely known for their chicken) – they seem to do an admirable job cooking anything with chicken in it (which would explain why they go through approximately 2,500 pounds per week according to their website).

I ordered an old favorite called, “Rod’s Chicken and Taters,” which is pressure-cooked with their famous mountain-style seasoning. Quite frankly, it was some of the tastiest and most succulent fried chicken I’ve ever had – and the seasoning on the perfectly cooked taters (which are more like thick scalloped potatoes) was sublime. Aside from my awesome meal, I found the server to be extremely attentive and professional. The bread was warm and fresh and my on-tap beer was cold and crisp – and I couldn’t really find anything to dislike with the entire experience.

Harold’s Inn may not be a swanky five-star restaurant that you’d want to go to with your prom date, but they do serve high quality home-style food, with a broad menu that will satisfy just about any palate. And unlike some restaurants in the Aliquippa area, they do seem to deliver on their brand promise – which makes them five stars in my book.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh North
“More salt than the ocean!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I'll start with a positive -- the staff was very friendly, accommodating and concerned about satisfaction. Hmm, now with the negative -- the food. We put some energy into how we wanted to celebrate New Year's Eve. Why not a local restaurant that appeared from the outside to be a little more upscale than typical for the area? Our first impression in looking around at the dinners of those nearby was one of yeesh, C minus for presentation and quality in appearance. Despite that, the stuffed banana peppers appetizer was quite good (and huge kudos for the Auld Lang Syne Martini!). Main course -- ugh! The broasted chicken breast for which "people go out of their way for" was so overseasoned and salty, I couldn't even swallow it. This from someone who tends toward the salty side of culinary temptation. Too bad -- the cut of chicken was respectable but, seriously, people eat this with so much salt?! The "taters" -- another menu item positioned as worth the trip were soggy and undercooked despite my request for well done. The server took them back to the kitchen to have them cooked out more. Meanwhile, my date received barbeque chicken that was pounded down so hard, little moisture remained. The sauce was bland and chicken dry. I respected that someone who appeared to be a manager stopped by our table to ask about our dinner. I normally say fine, even when it's not, but I just couldn't. She was genuinely surprised that I was unhappy with the meal but acknowledged that their broasted chicken is salty to begin with and the seasoning makes it saltier. She offered to replace the chicken with some with less seasoning and took it away. In the meatime, the server returned with slightly less soggy, unbelievably over-seasoned fried potatoes. Again, nearly gagging and relegated to cole slaw while my date ate his food, I wasn't sure how I could salvage this New Year's Eve meal. Round two of the chicken wasn't much better - still too salty to swallow. Despite my insistence that it wasn't necessary, they did comp my meal. So my last dinner of 2012 consisted of a shared order of stuffed banana peppers and some cole slaw. Would've loved to have had another of the martini's but we decided to cut our losses and settled for champagne and popcorn at home.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh
“Good food, nice atmoshphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We frequent Harold's quite often as we live close by. We especially like the patio dining. Good kid's menu. Good solid meals.

Visited September 2012
Palm Beach Gardens
“Could have done better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Dining in this hometown restaurant while visiting from Florida, we found the waitress to be unattentive and the food to be bland and pricey. This Hopewell "institution" isn't what it used to be...we were very disappointed.

• Visited August 2012