“Great place!! Salad bar!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Aliquippa
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pa
“Great place!! Salad bar!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Although we live in the area just went for the first time. Large menu with great options. Obviously not like eating seafood on the coast, but I have always loved a lobster pot. (Langostino). We also had a stuffed filet that was excellent. No one has a salad bar anymore and their's is fresh, well stocked and good. Prices are higher than many local places but for the quality I think they are not bad. Good Service, as well. Worth the visit and will be going back!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh North
“May be on to something pretty good...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

In my ongoing quest to find a really good restaurant in Beaver County, I gave J.W. Hall's a try. A friend of mine and I went there on a Saturday evening and decided to have a drink at the bar while waiting for a table. We ended up with the after-mass crowd of 50+ couples that apparently make it a point to go there for dinner nearly every week. I relied on these regulars for recommendations, including the salmon I ordered -- to die for! Not as impressed with the spots that the kind gentleman next to me insisted I try from his plate. My friend really enjoyed his stuffed pork chop. We both liked the salad bar - the selection was limited but kind of nice in that respect, and everything was fresh and nicely prepared. We felt so comfortable with this senior crowd, proud of the sports history of their area, we stayed at the bar. It was only later we learned that drinks were $5.50 each -- the bottom line of our bar tab a bit of a shock considering the area and ordinary atmosphere. The food prices, however, were fair. Thinking we were on to something, I stopped in again on a Friday afternoon for a fish sandwich. The fish was OK but the "quarter fries" the barmaid encouraged me to try were a baked potato cut into four hunks then warmed on the grill. One bite was enough for me -- too greasy. I was the only one at the bar not engaged in conversation so I asked that the TV be turned from a sports show with swimsuit models to the news or something a little less male-centric so the hostess switched to the TV guide channel -- oh what fun watching the programming guide show channels I couldn't watch. I asked again only to have the owner switch to another sports channel with a panel of blabbering commentators. If they had been busy, I wouldn't have cared but there were so many staff standing around talking while I waited for service, I left feeling like I wouldn't go back. In hindsight, I think the owner has a genuine interest in customer satisfaction, so I'll give them another try (although I'll enjoy a cocktail or two before I get there). They have music on Friday nights now, so that may be the thing that gets me back there. J.W. Halls could end up being a place I go to every now and then, especially when I want to be around an older crowd. I hope the Friday afternoon experience was a fluke and that first visit was more indicative of what I will normally enjoy.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Western Pennsylvania
“Family-Style Quality at Steakhouse Prices!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Let me set the record straight. I'm a carnivore eating man and I'd like to think I know a thing our two about good steaks. So when you order a steak medium rare from a restaurant that specializes in steak and seafood, you don't expect to get a steak cooked medium well (two full cooking temps off).

This was my first time at JW Hall's, and I thought I'd give them a try, so I ordered their signature steak and kettle, which also included lobster. This came with the salad bar, which was a nice touch.

So here's the lowdown. The salad bar was no better than Ponderosa. They forgot my bread. They forgot my sour cream. The lobster was little chewy balls of rubber floating in water, and the steak tasted more like overcooked liver. And when all was said and done, they charged me $27.99 for an item that was listed at $25.99 in the menu. Service took much longer than normal too - and not once did the friendly waitress ask me if the steak was cooked to order. I would have sent it back, but it wasn't worth the long wait.

On the positive side, this place is a Mecca for senior types looking to hang out with friends, and the atmosphere is pleasant enough. JW Hall's aspires to be a serious steak and seafood restaurant, but only lives up to a family style level of dining. If you're looking for real steakhouse quality, you'll probably need to drive into Pittsburgh to find that.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh
“Fantastic Family Owned Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've been going to Hall's ever since I started dating my husband over 15 years ago. We had our wedding rehearsal dinner here 10 years ago and took the kids last night for my husband's birthday, and it remains consistently outstanding. Their seafood is so good and their prices are very reasonable. If you are looking for a nice change from chain restaurants, this is the place to go.

Visited February 2013
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
“Great place..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've been here many times and each visit was a great experience....the whole staff from the hostess, bartender, busers are all friendly...not to mention the food..we have been there for different parties..Mothers Day & Fathers Day were packed & they put out a good meal every time...The Executive Chef knows what he is doing...he has a great menu..a very large selection of anything you crave.....Keep up the good work...

• Visited March 2012