“Family-Style Quality at Steakhouse Prices!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Aliquippa
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Western Pennsylvania
“Family-Style Quality at Steakhouse Prices!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Let me set the record straight. I'm a carnivore eating man and I'd like to think I know a thing our two about good steaks. So when you order a steak medium rare from a restaurant that specializes in steak and seafood, you don't expect to get a steak cooked medium well (two full cooking temps off).

This was my first time at JW Hall's, and I thought I'd give them a try, so I ordered their signature steak and kettle, which also included lobster. This came with the salad bar, which was a nice touch.

So here's the lowdown. The salad bar was no better than Ponderosa. They forgot my bread. They forgot my sour cream. The lobster was little chewy balls of rubber floating in water, and the steak tasted more like overcooked liver. And when all was said and done, they charged me $27.99 for an item that was listed at $25.99 in the menu. Service took much longer than normal too - and not once did the friendly waitress ask me if the steak was cooked to order. I would have sent it back, but it wasn't worth the long wait.

On the positive side, this place is a Mecca for senior types looking to hang out with friends, and the atmosphere is pleasant enough. JW Hall's aspires to be a serious steak and seafood restaurant, but only lives up to a family style level of dining. If you're looking for real steakhouse quality, you'll probably need to drive into Pittsburgh to find that.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh
“Fantastic Family Owned Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've been going to Hall's ever since I started dating my husband over 15 years ago. We had our wedding rehearsal dinner here 10 years ago and took the kids last night for my husband's birthday, and it remains consistently outstanding. Their seafood is so good and their prices are very reasonable. If you are looking for a nice change from chain restaurants, this is the place to go.

Visited February 2013
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
“Great place..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've been here many times and each visit was a great experience....the whole staff from the hostess, bartender, busers are all friendly...not to mention the food..we have been there for different parties..Mothers Day & Fathers Day were packed & they put out a good meal every time...The Executive Chef knows what he is doing...he has a great menu..a very large selection of anything you crave.....Keep up the good work...

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dagsboro, Delaware
“Favorite of the locals who know”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Halls is almost hidden at the end of a huge parking lot in a strip mall - not exactly where you anticipate fine dinning! You can count on really good food and service in an atmosphere that looks more expensive than the prices actually are. The salad bar is rather limited but the entree's and deserts are great. They have a private room for parties. At dinner time expect a wait to get in because this place is popular so reservations are suggested. The menu is varied but the name of the place suggests steaks and seafood are the primary focus. I had a salmon that was perfect.

• Visited March 2012