“Has to be one of the most eclectic towns I have visited” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ashland

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Ashland
Directions
Ashland, OR
Chicago, Illinois
“Has to be one of the most eclectic towns I have visited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

It was during the weekend of the Shakespeare Festival and the weather work itself out well. It was also University of Southern Oregons graduation and I had the pleasure of meeting the NBC's newscaster Ann Curry who was there to give the commencement speech. The views are gorgeous, just by happenstance the events that surrounded this particuliar weekend, and this great bar called the Black Sheep puts this on the thing to do for me every year.

I stayed in Central Point, which is about a ten minute drive to Ashland. It was my first time to the area and I was actually down on business. I did a little sightseeing, with my tour director on the phone with me( my wife grew up in the area attended S.O.U before transferring to U.O in Eugene). I seewy she speaks about this area at least once a week, literally. It was spectacular. I primarily grew up in Chicago with family in southern Caribbean. I have been to many Caribbean islands, Canada, and a bunch of states. I have never been to the Pacific Northwest but it will not be my last time. I didnt get to stay in Portland, other than the fly through, nor did I get to Eugene.

Asland was a great appetizer to the next visit. I can not get over the views of the mountains and would advise anyone to try to fly in the late afternoon. The sunset over the mountains is that of movie lore.

San Francisco Bay Area
“Quaint little town with a Berkely attitude!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

Ashland is home to Shakespeare and is of course, the main draw. The shops are fun, if not pricey, but there's lots to choose from....the best store in town, IMO, was Paddington Station. If I'd been without my husband, I would have stayed there a lot longer!

There's a lovely park, Lithia, behind the Shakespeare Festival that's fun to walk through.

While visiting Ashland, it is well worth the mini trip to Medford, about 8 miles north, just to visit the Harry & David headquarters & take their tour of the plant. This was an extremely interesting and fascinating tour and it seems October & November are great months to take this tour as they are packing for the Holidays.

Another side trip to take is to Jacksonville, just a couple of miles west of Medford. Little historic town that is a couple block of small shops and winery or two...beautiful country.

USA
“Lots of lodgings in Ashland take dogs - but no walking in the parks!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I want to advise readers that while Ashland, Oregon, has a great dog park, the town itself is not dog friendly. No dog is ever allowed to touch the grass in a public park -- in ANY public park -- in the town of Ashland. While Ashland says it has lots of places for dogs to go, it really has only the one dog park. The other areas are pretty remote, hard to find, and are often rough going. I am 65, just fyi. I have a very old, infirm dog who is deaf and almost blind. She can still enjoy walks but can't handle lively play or rough areas. I was recently ticketed
(fine = $250!!) for letting my old dog rest on the grass at the edge of the street in Lithia Park. I was standing on the street. She was on a leash. There is no sidewalk, so you either have to walk in traffic or break the park law, which is draconian. The areas where dogs are not allowed are often unmarked. The police are aggressive -- and you really should warn your readers that Ashland tries to look friendly to lure visitors, but it is not a dog-friendly place.

Carmel, CA.
“Relax Inn”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

Filthy and dishonest. My Tag Heuer watch was missing after their cleaner came in. Staff denied, but it was taken. The Inn was very dirty and I was not comfortable touching many things, especially the bed covers. I will not be back. I did talk to police regarding my watch and even though I know they have it, I can't do anything. Look for the employee to be wearing a Tag. It "was" mine.

Fort Pierce, Florida
“One Rockin' Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

If you have to live in town, why not Ashland, Oregon? With a flare for California-style foods in almost every restaurant (leaving your tastebuds vibrating with pleasure), the mountains close by to dig some really solid globs of muck into your dirtbike treds, the Umpqua Hot Springs within driving distance and not far from Crater Lake (a winter wonderland), and the prevelance of local theatre and art, who could want for more? This town provides it all. The winter weather may be a bit distasteful for the truly sunny natured, but, with a town like this, who cares?

P.S. Californians, fleeing from the increasingly high cost of living, have discovered Ashland . . . so, it grows by leeps and bounds. If you decide to visit (or move there), just remember, the eco-system is counting on you to be kind and conscious of her existence.

Been to Ashland? Share your experiences!