“Great Place to Stay in Ashland.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Albion Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ashland
Albion Inn
34 Union Street, Ashland, OR 97520   |
Offers & Announcements
Cabaret Theatre Discount
Ranked #7 of 38 Ashland B&B and Inns
Portland, OR
“Great Place to Stay in Ashland.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was our first visit to the Albion Inn, but we will be back. The location is perfect. Easy walking distance to downtown and the theater. The rooms are comfortable and well ventilated. The sunny garden is captivating and a wonderful place to spend some time. The breakfasts are excellent. Tea, cookies, sherry and the like are available in the evening. The conversation around the dining table is rich and varied. Thanks much, Cyd and Gary, for a great stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AlbionInnkeeper, Owner at Albion Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. It means a lot coming from such an experienced traveler and reviewer! We're so glad you enjoyed our lodgings as well as our breakfast gathering. Hope to see you again next time you're in town for some culture!

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stumbled across the Albion Inn quite by accident when the place I had originally intended to book my stay at ended up being full. It was definitely a happy accident! The Albion is easily within walking distance to OSF & Lithia Park, even for those who may not be in the greatest of shape, but is just far away enough from the center of activity that it is extremely quiet and serene. The gardens are absolutely beautiful & a great place to sit and read. I stayed in the Chautauqua room, which was well appointed, comfortable,and VERY clean. The mattress was probably the best I've slept on... between that and the quiet, I got several nights of sound sleep. The rooms all have ensuite bathrooms, which is much appreciated. The breakfasts were tasty, and beautifully presented. Cyd and Gary were both very nice, and made sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. Cyd is an enthusiastic conversationalist, and would join the guests at the table after breakfast had been served to get to know her guests, discuss what shows we had seen or were seeing, and generally keep the conversation going around the table. Next time I plan a trip to the area, I will be making the Albion Inn my first choice in accomodations... I lucked out this time!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
AlbionInnkeeper, Owner at Albion Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and energy to post such a positive review. What a nice picture of the two deer grazing on our front yard! It was great getting to know you, and we look forward to hosting your next trip to Ashland.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

OK. So. Here is the thing: the location? Fantastic. You can walk easily to anywhere in downtown Ashland. The house? Beautiful and well kept. The room? Nooks, crannies, gorgeous (we took pictures). The garden? Lovely in the morning, useful during meals (they used items from it for breakfast). The reviews we had read about breakfast were why we chose this place, and it was very good, no doubt. They gave us a nice tour of the place when we showed up (not too long, not too short). Nice sitting area. We used their mini fridge downstairs, and the rather strong wifi.

Now, breakfast.

First, we all had to eat together at 9:00 sharp. This is, admittedly, not my favorite (I like to be able to eat when we want to eat breakfast). Second, even though they said "9:00!! Be here right at 9:00!!!!!" We actually sat down at 9:10. I wouldn't have cared in the least, were it not for the fact that they made such a big deal out of the time.

However: at breakfast, to our relative shock, there was a very long, very adamant tirade from our cook/innkeeper/host about the politics of home birth and the legal status of home birthing and midwives in Oregon. Now, call me old-fashioned, but, while we actually pretty much agree with her politics, I have to say: the breakfast table is not the place to mention, even once, the words "dead babies." Our host did not know her guests' backgrounds, it was not a conversation (rather, a monologue), and at one point she sat down at the table with us all while speechifying. We were at the opposite end of the table, coincidently, and tried very hard to have a conversation with the nice man sitting across from us. It was too hard, in the end, and we ended up just going upstairs to pack. The couple next to us, from England, beat a pretty quick retreat to their room as soon as they could. We were, as it were, a captive audience (this was a bed and breakfast), so the presentation was difficult to avoid.

If not for that breakfast experience, we would probably be writing a much different review.

Room Tip: If you are between season, as we were, make sure you ask about A/C, etc. They were prepared for cold...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AlbionInnkeeper, Owner at Albion Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Yes, this guest is right. Mea culpa. A thousand apologies. No more politics at all. Ever.
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We visited Ashland for the first time a few days ago, and were very happy to land at the Albion Inn. The innkeeper, Cyd , is very friendly and happy to give each guest a tour of the house. She makes delicious snacks like sesame cookies, provides sherry for later in the evening, and makes great breakfasts like the blueberry/lemon dutch baby we had our first morning there. There is also a tea bar with instant hot water that helps relax you after a day of hiking, visiting the village or attending one of the many plays that Ashland is know for. The Chautauqua room is very nicely decorated and has a most comfortable queen bed. One nice feature of this B & B is that the entire house is set up for the guests, with a reading/sitting room, a TV room and the dining room. The innkeepers stay in a cottage on the property. Lastly, we had very stimulating conversations at breakfast with most all of us participating, thanks in some part to Cyd's vitality and genuine interest in her guests. We plan to stay there next time we visit Ashland.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AlbionInnkeeper, Owner at Albion Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
What a wonderful review! So detailed and complimentary too. Thank you for taking the time and posting so soon after your departure--just like you promised you would!
We look forward to hosting you again during your next visit to our cute little theatre town.
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was my fourth stay at the Albion Inn. I have become quite attached to the Chautauqua suite and always look forward to visiting my home away from home.
One of the best things about a stay at the Albion is meeting the other guests. This year I met and shared the table with two sets of longtime friends who come to the Albion every year, twice a year. They were here for the Shakespeare Festival, while I was here for the Independent Film Festival. Great fun swapping play and film reviews.
As usual, the food was to die for, and there was plenty of it. Innkeeper Cyd made us her Blueberry-Lemon Curd Dutch Baby pancakes, which she proudly informed us had just won a recipe contest for bed and breakfasts. She showed us the article, complete with Dutch Baby photo, that had just been published in USA Today.
My favorite Ashland activity is walking around the neighborhoods, taking pictures of all of the darling, artsy houses and yards. Pretty good vacation, if you ask me. Of course, the best thing has to be the Albion Inn itself.

Room Tip: I like Chataqua, but check the photos on the web. All rooms are just homey and wonderful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
AlbionInnkeeper, Owner at Albion Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. It's always my pleasure to host your annual visits to the film festival. Glad this feels like home for you. We seen some good films together!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I had a lovely stay at the Albion Inn. We stayed in a room off the garden with a separate entrance. We chose the 2 twin bed configuration, but the beds can also be arranged as one bed. The room was beautifully decorated, with wonderful windows for light and ventilation (there was also air conditioning with. Controls in the room, but we didn't need it) a view of the beautiful,well kept garden, and a bathroom with a shower in the room. The room was not large, but it had all we needed. We also had access to the guest fridge, coffee, tea, brandy,chocolates, and other treats in the common dining area.
There was wifi as well as a computer for guest use, and a common TV room in the main house. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful.

The location was a nice area, and we felt safe there. It was not easy walking to the Shakespeare Festival, but it could be walked if you were up for it. It is an easy drive, however, and parking was easy and cheap enough near the festival.

The best part of our visit was our host, Cyd. She was always ready with lively and intelligent conversation, and knew how to engage others. She also seemed to know when to let people be alone if they did not want to talk, etc. Our last day, we had to leave early, and could not join the others for breakfast. Cyd left us an ample, nutritious sack breakfast in the guest fridge for the road. I had not been to a bed and breakfast prior to this trip, and did not know what to expect. I was not disappointed.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
AlbionInnkeeper, Owner at Albion Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Wow, Jennifer. Thank you so much for your review. It was so thorough and detailed! I'm glad you had such a positive experience here, and I hope to see you again.
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Albion Inn is absolutely lovely! It has a wonderful romantic and homey vibe. The Innkeeper Cydd made us feel right at home. The breakfast she made was delicious! It was organic and non-GMO and she takes into account the dietary needs of her guests (gluten-free etc). She also makes fresh coffee at 7:00 am which is great for caffeine addicts like myself. The rooms are large, clean, and gorgeous. The backyard has relaxing gardens, and there are two rooms attached to the back yard which are pet friendly. It is a nice short walk to downtown. The inn has private parking spaces, free computer access, and TV (although there are much more exciting things to do in ashland) and a nice living room with beautiful art for sale on the walls. The bed we slept in was extremely comfortable, and since I have begin searching for the same type of mattress for my home. Each room had it's own bathroom and shower.
I will definitely be staying at the Albion Inn in all my future trips to Ashland, and will be strongly recommending the Albion to all my friends traveling through Oregon! Don't miss out on this Gem!

Room Tip: Chautauqua is a fantastic corner room upstairs overlooking both the front and the side of the house...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AlbionInnkeeper, Owner at Albion Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your first Trip Advisor review! We feel honored to be your first. It was a delight hosting you and your friend. I hope you drop by whenever you're passing through.

Been to Albion Inn? Share your experiences!