“Old-fashioned, but perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 19 hotels in Ashland
Portland, Oregon
“Old-fashioned, but perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here, picking the motel both for the fact that it had a kitchenette (my husband is celiac, i.e. gluten-intolerant, and if we cannot find restaurants at which he can safely eat, we need to be able to make our own meals) and for sounding quiet. It was perfect: the cottage had a small outside seating area amidst flowers and trees in which to have morning coffee while reading; it was a short, easy walk to downtown Ashland; the motel staff offered help if it was needed, but otherwise was unobtrusive; the free wifi was easy to use; and it was indeed very peaceful. The rooms were small, but clean, and for the price the size (especially of the kitchen with a full stove and fridge, a microwave, and all the cooking utensils one might want) was more than reasonable. My only complaint was that a few of the lights, especially the bathroom light, had a cord that hung above my reach (I am a relatively short person), but it was easy enough to tie a string to the pull- cord to lengthen it.

Room Tip: We asked for the unit furthest from the highway, in order to ensure quiet. There was one morning wh...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
CarlyStephenson, General Manager at Manor Motel, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Lisa,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We love hearing great feedback from our guests. We hope to see you again soon; remember, for reviewing us on Tripadvisor, you receive a 10% discount off of your next stay.

Also, thank you for the feedback regarding the bathroom light. We will fix the issue immediately, as we love to keep our guests happy!

Thanks again,

Carly Stephenson

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
California Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I've stayed here four nights on four separate occasions and each time was a delight! Each unit is a little different and each has its own merits. Of the four I've stayed in, unit 7 is my favorite. It has a small kitchen, nice little bathroom and it's farthest from the road, so very quiet.

This 40s-style motel looks a little funky from the street, but it is absolutely charming. Rooms are clean, beds comfy and you can't beat the price.

A big plus is the on-site manager. Dealing with Marcia is like dealing with a friend. She really works to make sure your needs are met.

I usually travel alone and feel very comfortable and safe here. I hesitate to give the Manor Motel such a great rating because I'm afraid I'll never be able to get a room again, but this charming little establishment deserves all the business it can handle.

Room Tip: Ask the manager about what each unit offers. They're all a little different.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
eugene
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights while attending plays at the Shakespeare Festival. We had a room with a small kitchen so were able to make our own breakfast and other meals on occasion, thus saving a lot of money and not getting weary of eating out. The motel was perfect for us - clean, within walking distance of the theaters, and with a management that seemed willing to do anything to please us. The price was about 1/2 of what a B & B would have cost. We'll be staying there again as we go to Ashland twice a year.

Room Tip: They have several types of rooms, so check before booking. They are in the process of updating the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Yokkaichi, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

First things first: This is Ashland. There are no cheap hotels or motels in Ashland. What goes for $60 down the road in Medford can easily be over $90 here. That said,

Great motel for the price (about $90 a night). We wanted to stay right near downtown and that's what we got. Could've walked to Lithia Park (though we didn't). Nice owner who had everything set up for us when we arrived.

Room was big with a good set of cable channels. Our room also had a usable kitchen (with pots, pans, plates, cookware and silverware, plus stove and oven), which costs a bit more. If you use this kind of thing, I'd recommend it. The kitchen is big enough to accomodate cooking and still have a little two person table.

The only negative - and it wasn't a problem for us - is that the toilet is in a very narrow place next to the shower. We are pretty small people and we live in Japan, so we're used to this kind of thing. However, if you are a naturally large person or perhaps your doctor has told you that you need to lose a few pounds... this may make your stay rather unpleasant (at least during bathroom breaks). Again, we had no hassles.

If you love Ashland - and I've hardly met anyone who doesn't - it's hard to go wrong with this motel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I recently stayed two nights with two friends at the manor motel on our weekend girls getaway to Ashland! We wanted to stay somewhere inexpensive but walkable to the festival and this motel met the bill. The motel was spotless and the owners were very friendly. It could use some pads for the beds, they are quite firm. While there is no breakfast provided, you can walk to a number of amazing bakeries. It is a no frills place, but in Ashland a welcome budget friendly option.

Room Tip: Ask for #11 it is cute!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Los Altos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

The hotel has a charming car port that is tree lined. It definitely has more character than the typical motel. The room was quiet, clean, and bed was comfortable. Despite the heat, it was very comfortable. It was the perfect size for two people, but would have been cramped if we were traveling with our children. The hotel is located a good 20 minute walk from downtown Ashland.

The hotel clerk recommended Bread Board for breakfast which turned out to be a poor recommendation since I was very disappointed in the quality of the baked goods. The cinnamon bun was too sweet with too much cinnamon and doughy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Finding lodgings in Ashland presents some real difficulties for a person with my set of hopes, likes/dislikes, and finances. This charming little throwback of a motel was just perfect for me. I feel really lucky that I was able to get into it without a reservation. I thought I might be forced to pitch my tent elsewhere (literally) because, having splurged on a ticket to a play and the gas to drive from Seattle and back, I then need to spend the bare minimum to sleep, but I stubbornly resist putting out money to stay in a place that feels like it's part of a chain or which simply has no character.

Enter, to my complete delight, the Manor Motel! It's little, it's old, it's cute. I had my own set of steps leading up to my own screen door. I parked my car in front of my unit. The bed was firm, the A/C worked, the lady at the front desk was kindly and accommodating, and the price is probably unbeatable anywhere else in the city (or so my hours of websurfing lead me to believe). If I'd been in better shape, I'd have found walking to and from the OSF to see my play not too hard, but I timed it earlier in the day and it took me 40 minutes, so I drove instead.

I've made something of a ritual of going to OSF these last few years and having found the Manor Motel is going to make it that much easier to build my tradition. I was really getting tired of the tent.

As to "Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?": I've said yes but the real answer is that it would depend strongly on who the friend was. My sense is that the Manor Motel is a love it or hate it kind of place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Manor Motel? Share your experiences!