“Late night option, poor quality” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
San Francisco, California
“Late night option, poor quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stopped in as it was the only restaurant we could find serving food after the plays let out at the OSF. At that time of night, they said they were serving a limited cafe menu, which we were fine with. I ordered a cup of soup and the fruit/cheese plate. The soup was okay, but the fruit/cheese plate was awful - both the watermelon and honeydew melon on it had gone bad (sour and soggy), while the cheese was limp. My boyfriend ordered the caesar salad, but only had a little as it tasted very strongly of lime. Even the drinks from the bar weren't very good. The waitress had to ask us what was in a Dark and Stormy (a pretty basic drink that's hard to screw up), and even then it wasn't good.
The restaurant clearly doesn't want to be serving late night diners, so it shouldn't be offering a menu at all since it's so crappy.

• 1 of 5 stars Food

Portland Oregon
“Convenient to OSF & food is good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Martino's (also Macaroni's) Restaurant right in downtown Ashland is an institution, and they capitalize on their location and reputation for good basic Italian fare. We ate there about a year ago, and found the food to be ho-hum, but this time when we tried it again we were pleasantly surprised. My husband loved his carbonara; and my Caesar salad with kebobs of perfectly charred salmon & jumbo prawns was excellent. We sat on the front balcony overlooking a pretty tree on Main Street, and had a very pleasant hour.
The service was confused however. We had servers bring us wrong items at least twice. And the bill contained two overcharges -- one that I caught when the bill came, and one I didn't until afterward. These mixups shouldn't happen. Period.
But there's a lot to be said for the convenience of being able to walk out the back door (their back patio is very nice too) & right up into the plaza in front of the both the Angus Bowmer and the Elizabethean theaters. I love that Oregon Shakespeare Festival starts all plays at 8:00. Plenty of time for a nice, relaxing dinner!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Oregon
“Old tough clams, dinner Caesar..so small! Ashland restaurants do better!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

well....sad to say, I am a local and this has been my old standby. where we go for a late night dinner and take our guests, but Martinos' failed me last night.
I oredered linguine with clams. the clams were old old hrivled up tough. not eough noodles, and the dinner salad was not that fresh and it was smaller than ever and the price had gone up by a couple of dollars.
to make insult to injury, I had gone the night before for a drink at Standing Stone, my other favorite place in town and there was a STAPLE yes the wire thingy in my food. not at Martino's but still, I am so sad my two old stand bys have failed me two nights in a row. Ashland restaurants need to do better .PLEASE.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Olympia, Washington
“Great Caesar salad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My daughter and I ate dinner before the Shakespeare performance. She loved the mac and cheese (of course) and the dinner Caesar was large, had anchovies and plenty of crusty bread. A nice place to eat in Ashland.

Visited August 2013
Greenfield, Wisconsin
“A Lovely Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I had never been to Ashland before, and as we were wandering we decided lunch sounded good. We stumbled upon the Martino's menu as we walked by and decided to give it a go.

Hubby got the Washington Apple (Bourbon, Apple liquor and cranberry juice), which he not only loved, but came designed with an apple on top. It was a hot day, so we were also downing water and they were quick to come top us off when we needed it.

I loved the macaroni and cheese. It was just different enough to keep it interesting, but classic enough to be a comfort. Hubby got the smoked salmon ravioli (something we don't get much of back home) and really enjoyed the flavor. Portions might have been a bit on the small side, but I feel like that's OK for lunch (plus we got some delicious bread to help fill us up). We got out for under $35, so it was very reasonable, too!

• Visited August 2013