“Disappointing!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 136 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, Vegetarian, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Description: Greenleaf caters not only to the tourists, but is especially sensitive to local customers. With a full Gluten Free menu, extensive vegetarian and vegan options, and a large variety of organic and local produce, Greenleaf is perfect for any diet. The wait people are always courteous, efficient, unobtrusive and helpful. Whatever you’re looking for: a great breakfast, a box lunch for a picnic in the park, or a tasteful supper before the plays, Greenleaf is your best bet!
Oregon
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My daughter & I had a day out in Ashland (we live in K-Falls) yesterday. We had a great time at the Science Works museum, then we took a stroll up & down the main street in Ashland visiting some lovely stores. We were tempted to stop at the busy Penga restaurant & a pizza-by-the-slice place that was packed with people. But I insisted that we keep going to the Greenleaf Restaurant as I had read good reviews on Trip Advisor & this was my treat! On arrival our greeting was luke warm but we were shown to a table outside as requested. The table was swept off but luckily I had my trusty wipes with me so I could remove the sticky stuff. Then we ordered from a relatively good menu. I ordered a bacon & cheese baked potato & my daughter had a pitta pizza. It took half an hour to be served our food. My potato came on a plate, on its own nothing else - no garish? The skin was dark brown & crisp/chewy/unedible. The potato itself was the size of a small fist & the bacon was mostly fat. Inside was lumpy & grainy as if it had been re-heated. Sure enough the middle was luke warm. My daughters pizza was just ok. She was hungry & so ate happily. No garnish with the pizza either. When the waitress whizzed by saying "how is everything" she was gone before I finished uttering "ok, but.....". When she came to take our plates away I did mention the potato to her - she asked if I wanted something else but having been there over an hour we were ready to move on. The meal with 2 lemonades cost me just under $30. A total rip off. As my daughter pointed out (she is 6) "mommy we should have gone to the busy place up the street"......we will next time. The patio area needs a good Spring clean as well. It's unfortunate to see the adjacent buildings looking so shabby & run down too.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Daniel2808, Owner at Greenleaf Restaurant, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I'm so sorry to read here on Trip Advisor that you were disappointed with your experience at our family's restaurant - and frankly a little surprised. Though even the best restaurants sometimes put out a less-than-perfect dish, when this happens in our place we've always prided ourselves in making it right. To that end I contacted you immediately after receiving your comment card, offering you both an apology and a free stuffed baked potato to replace the potato you were not happy with. You can imagine, then, my bewilderment that you chose to vent your displeasure on TA rather than allow us to make amends. Looking into the situation (and by 'looking into the situation' I mean 'watching that day's video feed'), I discovered the following:

* You were seated at 1:17; ordered beverages at 1:21 and were served them at 1:25. Your food was delivered at 1:41 and your server checked back at 1:45. Your dishes were cleared six minutes later, at 1:51, and you were gone from the table by 1:56 - basically 50 minutes from arrival to departure, rather than 'over an hour' as you stated.

* Your total bill - with taxes - actually came in under $20; a far cry from the 'just under $30' you stated in your review.

* You left a 20% tip, which we certainly appreciate, but find unusual considering how unhappy you seemed to be with your experience.

In response to your comment that our patio could use a Spring cleaning, we actually closed down early this Spring to do a complete refurbish / Spring cleaning of our restaurant. We own a pressure washer and regularly detail the concrete walkway, but being Southern Oregon we get plenty of Spring rain and wind, and our back patio can indeed have leaves, flower petels and such on the ground. We are known, however, for our cleanliness, consistently earning high ratings in our health department inspections.

We cannot, of course, influence the state of the buildings around us, though we like to think of the ancient buildings on the Plaza as being 'shabby-chic' rather than 'run down'.

Again, we're terribly sorry your experience was not better, and deeply disappointed that we were not given the opportunity to make you happy. Sincerely, Daniel

Mount Shasta, California
“Awesome Healthy Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Great organic and whole grain offerings. The seeded waffle was great! They offer little extras like organic maple syrup (a modest extra charge). Their menu states "Good food takes time, please be patient". Our wait was about 20 minutes and well worth it.

Elk Grove, California
“Frequent diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have eaten here many times and always enjoy at least one meal here while staying in Ashland. The waitresses are excellent and cater to every need. Very good food and nice people. We like sitting outside near the creek.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Healthy, Filling, Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Greenleaf has been one of my favorite restaurants for years!
No matter what your group likes to eat, you'll find it there.

They have delicious vegetarian dishes, I especially like their tofu scramble in the morning and their tofu burger for lunch or dinner.
They also have wonderful salmon and big tasty deli sandwiches. Their pastrami is fantastic!
They also have a gluten free menu.

If you are going on a picnic or want to bring food along for your trip home, I recommend ordering one of their box lunches.
My husband and I ordered one for our trip back to Portland.
We ordered one box lunch and shared it. It's big enough for two people. It comes with your choice of sandwich, pasta salad or cole slaw, a dill pickle and your choice of a cookie or baklava.

We plan on getting the box lunch again the next time we're in town.

If you

Visited March 2013
Sacramento, California, United States
“Good fresh food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stopped in for early dinner. Full and varied menu, and the food was tasty, especially the vegetables which were very fresh. A good choice if you are looking for a healthier set of options.