“Delicious Meal, Wonderful Hosts, Gorgeous Inn!” 5 of 5 stars

17250 Hwy 66, (About 30 minutes east of Ashland), Ashland, OR 97520
+1 541-488-1002
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Open Range is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 140 Restaurants in Ashland
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: (Please note that we are currently closed for the winter. See you in the spring!) Take a thrilling mountain-road drive through the breath-taking vistas of the Siskiyou Cascade National Monument to a 1920's era roadhouse where a period-appropriate dining experience awaits you. Owners Donnie and Denise Rowlett are your server and cook for this unique experience.
Ashland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Meal, Wonderful Hosts, Gorgeous Inn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

First off, I have to comment on the last reviewer. Anyone who says, "No agenda" and then goes on to trash a place, is an excellent example of the psychological term: Passive-Aggressive. Especially, since every other reviewer apparently enjoyed their visit as much as we did! First I'll share our experience.

We arrived at the beautiful Inn and were given a choice of inside or on the screened deck (where we could hear the sweet sounds of nature). As soon as I settled in my chair, our host and server, Donnie Rowlett, asked for our names so he could greet us like friends. Nice! We ordered wine and received it immediately, along with two lovely wine glasses. Yum. We placed our orders. Within a minute or two, individual hot loaves were placed on our table, followed by my husband's salad with a yummy balsamic dressing (he shared with me and the veggies were so fresh, I would have sworn they were picked minutes before!). I enjoyed the fresh corn soup--very tasty!!

My halibut was also quite tasty, with a fresh sweet/spicy mango salsa. Yum!! The vegetables were amazing too. Wow. Fresh, tender, and spiced just right. Our chef (and co-owner), Denise came out of the kitchen to make sure my hubby's steak was cooked properly (since he likes it medium-well)! He raved about the delicious rub on the steak. Again, Yum! (Okay, I admit it. I begged for a taste and it was superb.)

Hubby was full but I couldn't resist trying the Swedish Creme, which tasted like a cheesecake mousse. Unbelievably delicious!! Fresh blueberries and strawberries surrounded the dessert. Needless to say, I was in heaven! When I mentioned that we needed to head out and how much I would have loved to hear Donnie play, he smiled and offered up a song for the road. Awesome. I sat on a chair next to the piano while his fingers found all the right notes and he sang a delightful song. What a fun night!! We loved our meal and our time at this very special Inn, and found our hosts to be the best we've encountered. Soooo very glad we decided to ignore the solitary bad review and focus on Every Other Review, all of which were so positive.

So, here's my take on the bad review. First, obviously, they didn't bother to actually read anything on the menu, since it states about the Prime Rib: Quantities are limited... order quick before it's all gone! There is even a suggestion on the website that you let the hosts know if you're going to want something so they can reserve it for you. This happens in all restaurants that have specials. When they run out, they run out. It's not exactly rocket science. The salad was not a simple 'diner salad' and if it is, I sure wish they'd let me know which diners have such delicious salads!

Perhaps they are truly jaded, or just unhappy people. If I had a bad experience at a restaurant that Every Other Diner raved about, logically I would have to assume it was a bad night. However, reading their words, I'm guessing these reviewers might encounter more than a few 'bad nights'.

I highly recommend this wonderful restaurant. The hosts were cheerful and hospitable. The food was delicious. We loved our evening!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Chironicus O

Portland, Oregon
“No agenda, just FYI -- don't bother.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

After doing the homework I found this establishment rated Best in Ashland. No, it is not, and far, far from it. We had reservations early Saturday evening, but their signature prime rib was already sold out by 7pm, and were informed that if we wanted it, we should have reserved it when making our reservation. We brought a bottle of Champagne, and it took 20 minutes and several trips to the kitchen before we got two flutes. The bottle was long open before the waitperson brought a corkscrew (!) to open the Champagne. I had to put the bottle into a plastic pitcher of icewater left for us on the table to attempt to cool it down. We did get an ice bucket after another half-hour. They apparently don't see Champagne very often.
The asparagus soup was bland. My friend's salad was a simple diner salad, and came drowned.
The two substitute entries were barely passable, a tasteless chicken breast with a hint of basil, and a rib eye steak that was simply burnt.
The desserts... a 'cobbler' that was a thin later of fruit with a spongy cake topping, and another dessert topped with whipped cream from a can.
I gather from other reviewers that the owners are lovely people who are serious about entertaining, but if it is food you're interested in, this is NOT the place to go. In the course of the evening we went from considering the Inn as a place to bring family to celebrate the holidays, to something we couldn't wait to see in our rearview mirror. This was roadside diner food at best. Best in Ashland? Far from it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
4 Thank 3dimentia
DonnieAtPinehurst, Owner at The Open Range, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear 3dimentia,

Thank you for your candid comments. I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience. Our policy is to not charge people when they are unhappy, so I am happy to offer you a full refund if you so desire. Just call me at 541-488-1002.

You are right... in the five years we have been in business, you are the first customers that brought your own bottle of champagne. I'll make sure the servers are trained in champagne service.

And I will forward your comments about the food to the cook so that we can adjust accordingly.

We prepare our whipped cream by pouring real cream into a chilled canister and then pressurizing it so that we can use it with a nozzle, so although the resulting dollop of whipped cream on your dessert may look like it came from a can, it did not.

I know it can be embarrassing to tell your server or management that your meal is not meeting your expectations, but we are extremely grateful to those that give us the opportunity to correct problems immediately. When we asked if the meal was meeting your expectations, that would have been a good time to express your dissatisfaction. It's pretty easy to bring another salad with less dressing, or to cook another steak or let you try a different dish, and you would not have been charged for the items with which you were unhappy. That's how we do business here.

Anyway, if you would like a refund, or would like to give us another chance to please you at our expense, I look forward to hearing from you.

Good luck and happy dining.
Mission Viejo, California
“Great food, great menu, great hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at the Pinehurst Inn. The Halibut and Salmon dishes were wonderful, along with a salad and/or soup. That evening they served a great cold soup, Pina Colada. It sounded strange but tasted delicious. For dessert The Chocolate Purgatory with ice cream was excellent. Our friend had a delicious Swedish Creme. The atmosphere of the old Pinehurst Inn is decorated with furniture from the 1920s including a large wood burning stove. After dinner, the host took us on a tour of the five room bed and breakfast portion of the Inn. Very clean, reasonably priced and I would love to stay here. The price of entrees range from $7 to $33 so this menu fits everyone's budget.I recommend signing up for emails and each week the restaurant will let you know the special for that week.

Anderson, California
“Anniversary Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I went to The Open Range at The Pinehurst Inn to celebrate our 40th anniversary. The drive from Ashland is about 30 minutes over a winding road, but remember the best things in life are worth the journey. The Inn's front door invites you into the rustic ambiance of a family parlor as it might have been early in the last century. Don is your server and resident comedian who along with his wife, and chef, Denise have turned the Inn into a labor of love. For starters, the soup arrived cold as Don said it would. "Only soup I know that tastes like pina colada." The soup was so good that with a quick glance around I wiped and licked the bowl with my fingers. The chicken pacata was packed with all kinds of tantalizing flavors that teased my taste buds and though my wife was willing to share a couple of bites of her ravioli I knew that for the sake of our 41st anniversary I ought to stay on my plate! Between mouth fulls, I took tiny sips of the Merlot that Don had "mistakenly" over poured into my wine glass. When asked about the "mistake," Don just shrugged and said, "We do it because we can and want to." We're not dessert eaters, but what the heck it was our 40th. The "Chocolate Purgatory" was tempting (Don warns you that his charge for milk goes up after you dig into this baby) but opted for the nectarine cobbler and ice cream. Suddenly "purgatory" gave way to "heaven." After dinner Don played the piano and sang old songs for the last of us diners. My wife and I did the anniversary swing to his rendition of Glen Miller's "In the Mood." If your "in the mood" for a truly wonderful and unique dinning experience you've got to go to The Pinehurst Inn (and do Don a favor and look for the "Open Range" when you do!)

1 Thank Dan W
Redding, California
“Perfection at the Pinehurst”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Pinehurst is perfection. My husband and I have stayed there on several occasions, and eaten there with our extended family many more times than that. The Rowlett's have always been the most gracious hosts, and every meal has been even better than the last. The mountain salads are amazing, the individual loaves of bread are always just out of the oven. Every meal has been absolute perfection, whether you're eating a burger, salmon or prime rib (but my favorite is the chicken piccata). One of the things I love is that the menu is always changing a little bit, making the best use of whatever's fresh and available right now. My recommendation is to make a weekend out of the experience and book a night in one of the lovely and comfortable rooms (I sleep so well here). Dip your toes in the creek, swing lazily on the front porch, sing along with Donny when he plays the piano in the living room and lose yourself in the history of Southern Oregon and the Applegate Trail in the library. I can't say enough about what a great job the owners have done with this jewel of a place. It's wonderful.

• Visited June 2013