“Alchemy Transforms!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 136 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hargadine St
Description: We are a small fine dining restaurant that strives to use local ingredients to transmute our food, cocktails and dining experience into memorable evenings. We feature an award winning wine list with Certified Sommelier on staff to help, and inventive craft cocktails to wow the palate.
Medford, OR
“Alchemy Transforms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Back in the Middle Ages, alchemy was the process in which gold was supposed to be transformed from base metal. Guess what? It didn't work! I think the more modern definition, from Webster's, fits this restaurant now: "A power or process of transforming something common into something special." Guess what? It works at Alchemy!

The restaurant is in an old Victorian hotel (The Winchester Inn). In the warmer months, the garden would be a nice area to dine in al fresco.

Service was very good, which is not always the norm in Ashland. When we arrived, our coats were hung up for us and we were immediately taken to our table. Used silverware was replaced. The pacing of the meal was good.

My dining companion and I had come for their advertised 3-course dinner special for $35. It began with Stuffed Endives (roasted beets, stilton cheese, pumpkin seeds, tarragon vinaigrette) and was very nicely presented. The beets weren't too strong and the flavor was good.

The second course was a choice of Clam Chowder or Butter Leaf Salad. My companion had the chowder. Again, it was nicely presented and he liked it very much. I enjoyed the salad (herbed goat cheese, candied sunflower seeds, beet wedges, honey tarragon and shallot vinaigrette), but personally I don't care too much for beets, so I had to leave them alone. It was presented as half a head of butter lettuce, drizzled with the dressing, with the beets in a row next to the lettuce. Very pretty.

Our third course offered Baked Halibut with Scallop. Because the restaurant had initially told my dining companion that the offering would be Skate in Tempura Batter, he was a bit disappointed, until our server returned and told us that the kitchen would be able to prepare the skate for him. I had the halibut, and they both were excellent. I had a very nice risotto with my fish, and the large scallop on each of our entrees was perfectly cooked.

For dessert, we split a Creme Brulee with Orange and Cardamon. I thought it was fine, but my companion had some trouble detecting some of the flavors. The crust on top needed to be thicker so that our spoons could really break down into the custard. Dessert was not part of the dinner special.

The wine and cocktail prices were on the high side, which kept our ordering down to a half bottle of an Oregon Pinot Gris, which even then came to $15.

All in all, Alchemy is one of the best restaurants in Ashland, with perfectly cooked food showing some nice creativity.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
WinchesterInn, Owner at Alchemy Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thanks for joining us! I'm so glad you had the chance to take part in the Ashland Restaurant Week. We can't wait to do it again next year. I am thrilled you and your companion enjoyed the meal. We do have an extensive list of craft cocktails, but also feature a full bar, so that if nothing strikes your fancy we can always make you a classic. Hope to see you again soon!

Santa Cruz
“Lovely restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were on a road trip to Ashland Oregon and decided to spend New Year's Eve at the Alchemy Restaurant in the lovely Winchester Inn. A great location for the holidays. Everything is decorated in a classic and delightful manner. The restaurant itself is both inviting and romantic. Our food was a mixed bag. Mostly excellent but a few dishes, such as the salad were mediocre. Hence the 4 stars. Everything has to be outstanding for a 5 star in my book. However, the service was impeccable. Overall a delightful evening.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for the honest feedback! We are always striving to make everything just so. I hope that next time you join us we can show you the excellence you were looking for.

Brookings, Oregon
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Just simply said, this was absolutely one of the best meals my husband and I have ever had. What a wonderful way to end 2013. I had a reservation, which I suspect you should probably always have, as it is a small restaurant. The ambience is very nice. Tables are close together, so it would be hard to have a private conversation. The people at the table next to us were having a lively and interesting conversation, so no bother at all.
Definitely not a restaurant for children -- much too expensive, and given the small space, it would be really annoying to have kids chatttering away next to you. Save it for date night.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
We are indeed a smaller restaurant, but if you ask when making reservations, we will do our best to place you at a more private table. I am so glad you had the chance to ring in the New Year with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Ashland, Oregon
“Wonderful holiday dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous Dickens Feast last night! Incredible food! ( I had the prime rib and the hubby had the salmon....yum! Very professional, polished quartet singing entertainment and, of course, Santa was wonderful.....witty and entertaining! It was our first annual Dickens Feast but definitely not our last!

Visited December 2013
Next year will make the 32nd Dickens' Feast. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the time with us. We have some more wonderful ideas for next years' feast.

Vancouver, Canada
“Wonderful find in Ashland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

On the first night of our drive from Vancouver, Canada. to Palm Desert, California....we met friends doing the same in Ashland - they had been many times to Alchemy and highly recommended we go there to experience what they have when they've been there over the years. We sat in the bar area in behind the main dining area upon our friends recommendation. The dinner was excellent, service superb, the location in the Winchester Inn, also very quaint was beyond our expectations. This will now be our only dinner stop when doing the drive to/from California.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for the kind words! We hope to see you on your next trip to/from California!