“A Magical Evening” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 134 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hargadine St
Redmond, Washington, United States
“A Magical Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had the best meal of our entire vacation here, in addition to discovering some new wines, suggested by the very knowledgable sommelier! Most patrons had left for their evening at the theatre, so we were able to linger over our delectable meal and enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
WinchesterInn, Manager at Alchemy Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We love our wine and food and liquor here, and are always more than happy to make recommendations (and in some cases ramble on incessantly about the history of some of those things). We are glad that you had a nice time with us. Please come see us again next time you're back!

Los Angeles, California
“charming restaurant in a Victorian mansion/hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Quiet, romantic restaurant in a Victorian Mansion that is also a hotel. Food was excellent, with a very attractive presentation and quite a variety especially given the small nature of the restaurant. Excellent and charming service. The place pretty much cleared out about 7:30 p.m as most everyone heads for the Festival theaters, but the wait service is well aware of this and does everything to make sure you're served in time.

Visited October 2013
Glad to hear that you had a nice evening!
CORVALLIS
“Great food, ambience, and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The restaurant in the Winchester Inn has been one of our favorites for as long as we have been going to Ashland. It may change names, but the food, service, and ambience are excellent. Plus, the location of the Inn is convenient to OSF theaters.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you! Always glad to hear that we're a favorite!
Seattle
“Great service, nice drink and wine list, very good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I'm being picky here. My rating is somewhere between 4 & 5, but definitely closer to 4 than 5. Anyways. The easy stuff first.

The service was first rate, well-timed and not overly attentive ("new" Andrew, one of four Andrews currently working there was our waitperson and was perfect). The wine list looked great and my Fallan Angel cocktail (rye, bitters, etc., etc.) was on the money. Since my wife doesn't drink, I was limited to a glass of their pinot noir, which was well priced and very good, if not fantastic.

As often happens to me, I couldn't get by the great sounding starters, so I had three of them for my dinner: Foie Gras and Scallops, Mini Wellingtons, Pork Belly Rillette Croistini. My wife had the potato and leek soup (Chef's choice) and the white corn pasta.

Foie Gras and Scallops, what a ridiculously great way to start a meal. Expensive at $20, but actually worth it for a couple of perfectly cooked scallops and a nice nice piece of foi gras, slightly crisped on an unnecessary small bit of toast, both served on a plate with a smear of a rich savory sauce. The mini Wellingtons were pefect with the meat still medium rare and tender, also with a bit of savory sauce. The pork belly was the only thing that was less than I had hoped for with very stingy bits of extra crispy pork belly on croistini with a non-descript paste spread over it.

My wife had nothing but good things to say about her soup and pasta and said she'd be glad to have both another time.

My dessert was a decontructed lemon merringue pie and my wife had a special lemon basel dessert (neither of us can recall if it was a tart or a custard or something in between). The lemon merringue was very good and clearly the lemon basel dish was forgettable.

So, the bottom line is that we will almost certainly go back for more another time and try some of the other dishes on the menu (although the fois gras and scallops will definitely be repeated). Before I go next, I will troll through the other reviews to see what others people like from the menu and use that as a guide.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review. We're glad that you enjoyed your meal (or most of it, it sounds like) and we look forward to having you back again to try more items. Our wait staff is always ready and willing to offer suggestions on menu items as well. Hope to see you soon!
Sunnyvale
“All but the details”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This renamed restaurant in the Winchester Inn is off to a promising start. The menu looks interesting with dishes that are innovative but still tasty. With all the honey and fruit, the predominant flavor seems to be sweet. The menu could definitely use a few more dishes for people who are looking for non-sugary choices. The service is friendly and adequate. The kitchen seems to be a bit spotty. Some items came out perfectly while my lamb, which I ordered medium, was barely cooked. It is hard to rate restaurants in Ashland since, compared to its competition, it would rate four stars; but is closer to average compared to most places that I have traveled. Overall, a good place to try but needs more attention to detail.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I am sorry to hear that you were no completely satisfied with your meal. As always, I hope that you mentioned the lamb to your server at the time, as we are always happy to fix an order that is not to your liking. I do hope that you will return in the future, and give us another chance to impress you. Thank you for your review!