“A Memorable Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Columbia Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
Columbia Hotel
You added Columbia Hotel to your Saves list
262 1/2 E. Main St., Ashland, OR 97520   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Petaluma, California
“A Memorable Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed in Double Classic room on Main Street. Loved the view of the hills, walking everywhere in Ashland, friendly staff. Shared bath not a problem for us - sink in the room was nice. I brought earplugs - noise not a problem! Enjoyed seeing all the activity outside the window. We really enjoyed staying at the Columbia

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I tried to book at the Columbia for two nights. Because they were sold out one night they booked me in the Columbia one night and their sister hotel, The Palms, the next. As many of you know, there were wildfires in Southern Oregon this year that caused air quality conditions that were so bad that some of the outdoor plays were cancelled.

After looking at the weather reports for 7-10 days out, I realized I should change my dates for two days later (after rainfall expected). When I called to change the dates, they were unable to change the dates because the hotel was fully booked. I cancelled my reservations and booked elsewhere. When I received the cancellation notice, it showed there was a $25 processing charge to cancel the reservations- see the policy below. Imagine my surprise when I was docked $25 for each hotel ($50 cancellation fee for one visit) although it was consecutive days and only booked in their sister hotel to accommodate their schedule. I won't be rebooking with them again.

Cancellation Policy: Your deposit confirms your reservation. Should your plans change and you need to cancel or shorten your stay, you will want to let us know at least 2 weeks in advance. With sufficient notice, we can refund your deposit, or change your reservation, for a $25.00 processing fee per room. In the unlikely event that a reservation is cancelled giving us less than 2 weeks notice, the hotel retains the deposit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
inventure, General Manager at Columbia Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Caryl, thanks for writing to us again. Due to the smokey skies, we waived all cancellation fees for cancellations that were due to air quality that week, even if guests were canceling without sufficient notice. As you can imagine, a big loss to the hotel and to guests looking forward to their vacations in beautiful Ashland, Oregon. The nominal processing fee that you express concern over was clearly communicated to you verbally at the time of booking, so our hope was that you would appreciate that we refunded your deposits, even though we were within our right to retain those funds due to the last-minute nature of your cancellation. We did subtract a small processing fee from your deposit to cover our credit card and banking fees, so the real winners here were Visa and Mastercard. Those guys win everytime. Hopefully, we'll see you next year, but if not we wish you all the best. Again, thank you for your concern.
Monmouth, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I always stay the the Columbia when I'm in Ashland. The location and price just can't be beat -- right downtown, 2 blocks from the Oregon Shakespeare Festival campus. This is not a luxury property, but it is clean and comfortable. Don't be afraid of the rooms with shared bath, only rarely have I had to wait more than 15 minutes for a shower.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great, spacious rooms, warm staff. I love the feel if this place and how close it is to everything; especially the open living room feel of the common area where we hang out and read the paper with the other guests, the European style. I stay in the Columbia every year now. Definitely hs won me over.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We happened upon the Columbia by accident when their sister hotel (Palm Cottages) directed us there to book our second night in Ashland (because Palm Cottages was completely booked). The Columbia is extremely well maintained and its historic feel is apparent throughout. Our room was large and comfortable. The common area looked appealing but since we had a very short stay, we really didn't take advantage of it. As mentioned in a number of other reviews, the staff was warm, friendly, and helpful. The only drawback was the lack of a private bathroom. Our room was one of the farthest from the bathrooms, which made our middle of the night excursion(s) a bit more challenging. And one of the best things about this hotel...location, location, location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manhattan, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I loved staying at the Columbia. The best thing about this hotel is the staff, and that it's a historical landmark in Oregon history. I got to know all the staff during my week stay, and I enjoyed talking with all of them. The staff goes far beyond the usual in trying to help patrons. Every time I passed the front desk there was a customer asking for something unusual, and they always did their best to help. Leisl, Westin, Daniel, Jonathan, Kelly, Owen-- they are all polite and gracious no matter what, and fun to talk to also. I suddenly got an infected fingernail and kept bugging them for help, but they were always gracious. They even found me a clinic I could go to in town. I didn't know when I booked that it's the oldest continually-in-service hotel. It's beautifully preserved, and I'm glad they are taking good care of it. There are lovely old photos on the wall where you can see Ashland's history and people from the past. I didn't mind sharing a bathroom because the price was great, and it's such a central location. I was there for July 4th and I only had to step outside the front door to watch the parade. My room didn't have AC, but the fan worked fine. Love the place, love the people, and will return again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Marysville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Columbia Hotel is perfect for travelers who don't mind sharing a bathroom. I stayed in a classic queen with shared bath and it was perfect! I came in very late at night and they made sure the front desk was staffed for my late arrival. Hotel staff were incredibly friendly and made sure my stay was the best! I loved the antique decor in my room and the fresh flowers made me feel right at home. This is one place I will come back to for sure!

Room Tip: Some rooms do have private baths so rest assured that if the shared bathroom is your only hang-up, i...