“Great location and room for a great price” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   98 Central Avenue, Ashland, OR 97520   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Northern CA
“Great location and room for a great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

We stayed for the first time at the Plaza Inn and Suites last week for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We are on a VERY limited budget and were able to get a king spa room for $107/night AAA rate. We stayed two nights and really enjoyed ourselves.

The jacuzzi is big enough for two (with one of us being plus sized, we still fit with room to spare) and the bed was (not the most comfortable I have ever slept on, but) fine. There was a separate sitting area, which we didn't use, preferring to watch tv in bed. We were kind of on the corner of the building, so we had two windows, and a pleasant view of the creek (which you can also hear when you open the window). There was a small kitchen area with sink, microwave, coffee, and fridge. This was nice to have drinks in the fridge and someplace to put our leftovers from dinner.

Breakfast was included - not elegant, but they tell you it's an "expanded continental" right up front, so no surprises. Usual bagels, toast, waffle maker, and cheese "omelettes" which are made in the back and kept warm out front. Coffee, tea, juice, milk, cereal and yogurt. We didn't get a chance to do the PB&J sandwiches, because we were otherwise engaged at 10pm.

The lobby is nicely appointed and would be a good place to wait for someone, look at their books with restaurant menus, plan your day, or check your email on the hotel's computer. The fitness room downstairs has new cardio equipment and a tv. There is also a table with a puzzle downstairs if you are so inclined. Walking distance to shopping and shows and Lithia Park.

Rooms were quiet - didn't hear neighbors or other tv's, etc. Loved the pillow menu, although we didn't use it.

Staff was friendly and attentive and recommended dinner options.

We had two "maintenance" issues while we were there. The first was the tv in the bed area was adjusted so the color was really "hot" - the red was turned up all the way so it hurt your eyes when you looked at it. The did try to resolve the problem, but the person with the "master" remote was in Medford, and wouldn't be back until the next day. So they were going to swap tv's for us. But the one in the bedroom is BOLTED to the dresser. So they were going to swap out a whole dresser and tv unit from another room. We just said to go ahead and move the one from the armoir in the sitting area to the bedroom. So we had two tv's in our bed area. And the volume was set at 11 on the tv. So low you could barely hear it. So we moved our little tv into the bed area also and ran the audio through the little tv. But they were really trying to be accomodating - it was just strange.

Also, wifi is included in every room, but we had a really low and erratic signal. They came to check it for us, and their laptop worked fine, they said. BUT I know different people have different needs as far as the internet goes, and it would be fine for just checking your mail. If you need to download anything though, it will take forever.

OVERALL - loved it and would stay again. It was cheaper than many other places, we were comfortable, and loved the tub. It was nice to know you could have breakfast there and just get on with your day, and you didn't have to pay extra someplace else, and you can just walk to shopping so you don't have to worry about parking. . We will definitely visit again on our next trip to Ashland.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

I was just in Ashland with some theatre students from my high school for the Oregon-Shakespeare Festival and stayed here. For the 3 hours or so a day apart from sleeping that I spent at the hotel, I was impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel, the food provided for my group, and the thourough job done by the maids

• Stayed March 2009
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

I really liked the decor of this hotel. We had a Parlor room and it was nice to have the kids out in the Parlor and we could shut our door and have some priacy! They stayed up later than we did and could watch TV and be happy on their laptop! Enjoyed the city of Ashland, had not been there before. Hotel was great walking distance to town. We enjoyed the Festival of Lights and parade. Breakfast was nice and dining room was cozy. Enjoyed this hotel!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

We stayed over New Year's Eve and it was a great time. I have been to Ashland lots of times but always stayed at the Springs Hotel. I'm glad I tried something new. I checked in at around 7pm and the person working the desk was really nice. The phones were ringing and the person working didn't get rattled and smiled the whole time.
The room we reserved was pretty small but had a good feel to it. I liked the colors but the room is getting tired-the skirt on the bed was ripped. I think the rooms need to be freshened up a bit. The carpets were worn but were really clean, (I have a toddler so inspecting the carpets is a must).
We had breakfast the following morning and it was incredibly busy. There are not enough chairs/tables for as many people as they have to feed. We had the omelettes and they were surprisingly good!
I really enjoyed my stay and guarantee I will return.

• Liked — employees
  • Disliked — bed skirt
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
palos verdes estates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

This was/and still is rated the #1 hotel in Ashland, Oregon. If it is, boy it shouldn't be. As someone who has stayed in a variety of hotels in many places, I've found lovely hotels that do not necessarily need to be priced at $400.00 a night, and hoped this would be one of them. It wasn't. This is a cheap, run-down & poorly staffed hotel. OIt started with the staff person there at my arrival-- who didn't even bother to ask if I wanted someone to show me where the room was-- or a map to the building-- It was- "here's the key & good luck Charlie." This was a 6 PM check in, so not so late that I was inconveniencing anyone. The room itself was supposed to be one of the best in the hotel- a "suite-complete with jacuzzi for two" (I was alone, but wanted the tub anyway.) Cheap stained furniture & carpets, ugly , thin, & stained linens on the bed, no extra blanket or pillow, lousy cheap towels (too small) & 3 tiny shampoos that looked like they'd been wiped & left by previous tenants. The whole room needed a good, thorough cleaning, especially the area around the kitchenette- the refrigerator was yucky inside.
Hope I gave you a good picture--you may be impressed by the pictures on the website here at tripadvisor, but they are all cosmetic props-- DON"T BOTHER with this place. Find a nice B & B, I will when I go in January to see my college kids.

• Liked — no comment
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

From check-in to check-out, I had an outstanding experience at this hotel. The staff and ambience are what makes this a great place to stay. I had a king parlor suite (basically a junior suite) which had a couch, gas fireplace, king bed, microwave, fridge and balcony with chairs. It was elegantly decorated and had a stellar view of the courtyard and creek area.
The staff really went beyond expectations in helping me with a few various requests. I admit I am a bit high maintenance, but they did not seem to mind. When I asked if they knew the artist of the prints on the wall, the manager went as far as to check the specs. Everyone was super friendly and nice.
They provide a complimentary continental breakfast and cookies and milk, which I didn't partake in.
The room, hotel and grounds were meticulously clean. It is a block off the main street so very quiet and peaceful.
When I staying in Ashland, I plan to book here from now on, if they have availability. Thank you to the staff for making my visit memorable.

Stayed October 2008
U.S.A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

This is not a good hotel for families with children. We stayed here one night on our way up to Seattle with our son, who is under 2 years. The vast majority of the other guests were retirees and we had several encounters that can only be described as rude. The hotel staff also seemed somewhat put out by our presence.

Also - the breakfast room is way too small for the number of guests they have. It got very competitive looking for seats; ultimately we just gave up and ate in our room.

On the upside, the location is ideal, and the rooms are fairly nice. IBut - if you have kids - go somewhere else.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff and other guests, small breakfast room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek? Share your experiences!