“Nice, but priced higher than the value” 4 of 5 stars

Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   98 Central Avenue, Ashland, OR 97520   |
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Denver, Colorado
“Nice, but priced higher than the value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel has nicely decorated and cared for rooms and is situated alongside a beautiful creek. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It is in short walking distance to all the best of Ashland, including the stunning Lithia Park the downtown restaurants and shops. An adequate, but nothing special, breakfast is included (basic pre-prepared eggs, sausage, oatmeal) in the daily rate. The bed was too soft for me and my back was achy during the stay. Though the price was high relative to the value, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
larkspur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Spacious rooms and fine location, but the hotel cuts too many corners to adequately fill its "semi-luxury" niche. Among the minuses: Nondescript décor, no shelf space in the bathroom, the single elevator is inadequate when the hotel is near capacity, paper cups for the in-room coffee service, and the breakfast is about as minimal as the hotel can get away with. (At the very least, they should have more than one toaster, and thus eliminate the bottleneck in the line.) The hotel's wine taste is just that - a taste. They will sell you a full glass - perhaps not such a bad idea, but why not just have a wine bar that's open a little more than one hour?

On the plus side, the staff was friendly, the hotel was clean, and the bed was comfortable.

This was our second stay at the Plaza; based upon the reviews, we thought it might have improved. It hasn't.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are very nice. My co-worker and I actually checked out of the Ashland Springs Hotel(rooms too small, overpriced, inconvenient parking, and a health hazard for people with allergy and sinus). Plaza Inn is the best in Ashland, trust me I did my research. Other hotels were recommending this hotel. Staff very friendly, rooms very spacious with balconies, great tv channel selections, nice size LCD TV, clean except one day they forgot to clean my toilet but promptly came to clean upon request . Great dry cleaning . This place is amazing with a beautiful view of the mountains!

• Stayed September 2013
Sonoma County
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I loved how close we were to the theaters and shops/restaurants in downtown Ashland. I had no problem pushing my mother in a wheelchair to the Bowmer Theater from this hotel. If you should find yourself in a similar situation, go out the back door and cross the creek on a pedestrian bridge -- this route is shorter and flatter than going out the front door.

Our Spa Double Queen room was very spacious and the large bathroom had a separate shower and tub. Comfortable beds, everything was clean, and our room was quiet except for the window-unit a/c. The room seemed dark to me, even by hotel standards. It was furnished with an armoire containing a tv, an upholstered chair, a desk and chair, a long countertop with a coffee maker and a small refrigerator below. The counter was handy for our smaller bags, but the lack of good lighting in this area made it difficult to look for things. Our room faced the creek and we had a lovely green tree in front of our balcony, which was furnished with a small table and two chairs.

I probably won't return to this hotel for two reasons. There isn't enough parking to handle all the guests; we parked on the street one of the two nights we were there. And it's overpriced. I realize the location is what has driven up the price, but on an objective scale the room just isn't worth it. I felt very dissatisfied paying such an exhorbitant price for this type of accommodation. My solution is to avoid staying in Ashland unless absolutely necessary. If I must stay in this town I'll stay at the Ashland Springs Hotel which is similarly priced, equally close to the theaters and includes a similar continental breakfast, but has plenty of parking (in my experience) and brightly lit bathrooms. It's just personal preference, but I find the decor at Ashland Springs far more appealing.

El Cerrito, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We've been here two years in a row now, and I'm still impressed. Absolutely everyone that works here is SO nice! The rooms are spacious and comfortable (including a fridge for the inevitable leftovers from dinner), the staff is invariably friendly and helpful, and the "extras" are truly the icing on the cake: cookies & milk (plus make-your-own PB&J sandwiches) available every night, an "extended" continental breakfast (including waffles, bacon/sausage, hot cereal, cold cereal, etc.) every morning, and wine tastings on the weekends, all included with your nightly rate.

I am allergic to all sorts of fragrances, so I have a hard time finding hotels that I can actually spend the night. Many hotels, like the Ashland Springs (a local "fancy" place), claim to offer fragrance-free rooms upon request, but one whiff sends me running for the door. The Plaza Inn & Suites consistently provides a place I can sleep in comfort.

It's a few blocks from the Oregon Shakespeare Festival; since there's no additional charge for parking, it couldn't be more convenient for visiting theatregoers like myself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel is only a short walk from the plays at the Shakespeare Festival and from restaurants. However, it has a garden feel to it, since its back entrance looks onto a creek. The hotel has reasonable rooms, wine and snacks on afternoon weekends (snacks only during the week), and cookies and beverages after plays. This is going to be my go-to place when I return to Ashland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden/creek.
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We typically stay here when we visit Ashland for the plays. There are four of us and we've stayed at various types of rooms. I rarely give 5 stars for anything - but we have never had a problem with this hotel and the customer service is fantastic.

ROOMS:
We've stayed in various types of rooms. The spa room was a bit weird. There was a large space b/w the door and the bathroom that seemed wasted. Would have been happier if that could have been a lounge area instead. Probably won't get a spa room again - didn't have time to take a bath anyhow - and it's a waste of water. Have stayed at hotels with WAY bigger tubs. One in Vegas took us 1/2hour to fill up. (yeah - it was a true waste, but that tub was UNreal.)
We've stayed in King rooms with a sitting area. that worked. We asked for a cot and it fit. The beds have always been comfortable and clean. The cots are a bit older, creakier mattresses that are not plush. But they are big enough for a teenager. I actually slept on the couch one night (didn't use the pullout bed) and it was actually okay to sleep on. Have reserved a 2-queen room for our next stay.
These rooms aren't cheap - we pay for the convenience/proximity to the theatres and downtown location.
We stayed on the ground level once and I was nervous that it would be noisy - but the walls were thick enough and we ran the fan for white noise and it was fine. Plus the hotel is kind enough not to run the leaf blowers early in the morning! We were grateful for that.

Our room had a small frig and some counter space and cupboard. That was nice. Frig was clean. Space was good for us to store all of snacks (since we drive to Oregon).

The free Wi-Fi was decent as well. We had up to 5 devices running on it in our room at once (including phones, iPads, laptops, etc) and we didn't seem to experience significant lagging..)

BATHROOM
The bathrooms have always been clean. I am very finicky. The shower/tubs have been installed with the wide curved bars - I guess Americans are all just bigger now?
The towels are big enough and are clean.
There is enough soap, etc but we typically bring our own shampoo.

GYM
We always use the gym when we stay at this hotel. It is super basic. But it's clean. One treadmill, one bike, one elliptical and some weights. There are towels, and water available. A TV too. That's pretty much it.
There is a nice long trail super close by (the one that follows the creek), so we go for runs as well.

GENERAL AREA
There are a ton of places where you can hang out, both inside and outside. We love to sit on one of the outside patios and play games in between plays. It's so much fun. The other guests are really nice as well. We never have a problem finding a place to sit (we are a big group).
The public areas are clean and well kept. There is a big huge puzzle they leave out in one of the areas. Have never seen it finished. Wonder if some kid steals one piece just to mess everyone up at the end???

FOOD
We never eat breakfast at the hotel. We don't really like the big public hotel breakfasts. We like hot - to order meals. We tried it once. It is the normal fare: make your own waffles, cereals, eggs, coffee, juices, danishes, etc. It was fine, but we prefer to go out to eat for breakfast. For being part of the hotel cost - this is a decent breakfast.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Again, we have never had any issues with customer service. Whenever I reserve a cot - I have always received one right after we arrive. Everyone is always courteous and helpful.

Because we've never had a problem - the service is great - the rooms are always clean and comfortable - I give it 5 stars.
Yes - I have stayed at many Ritz Carltons hotels, Mandarin Oriental, etc. and THEY can be MORE than 5 stars - I had to give this hotel 5 stars even though I would not call it a luxury hotel, but because we have stayed MANY times and never had ONE single problem. Where can you go where that has ever been the case?

Room Tip: There are some rooms that have two queen beds and a separate sitting room with a second TV and a doo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SJohnsonGM, General Manager at Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Plaza. Your attention to details from the room layout, the fitness room, grounds, breakfast and customer service was very much appreciated.

We are a boutique hotel that strives to exceed guest expectations and appreciate the comparison the the Ritz. :)
Thank you again for the compliments and as always, look forward to seeing you next year.

Shannon Johnson
Plaza Inn and Suites at Ashland Creek

Been to Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek? Share your experiences!