“great place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Alamo, CA
“great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

My play going friends and I have stayed here twice a year ever since it opened. The rooms are clean and large, the beds are comfortable, the breakfast is excellent, on summer weekends there is tasting of some local product at 5:00, and fresh baked cookies and other goodies at 10:00 for returning evening playgoers. We did have one reservation problem once, due to the front desk having the wrong name of one of my group, but it was resolved quickly and to our satisfaction. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The lobby is large and welcoming, a nice place to meet and visit with friends. The fitness room is limited, but better than most hotels of this size. There is a hot tub but no pool. And in the lower entry area there is a table with a jigsaw puzzle always set up, and some chairs. The grounds are attractive with a couple of picnic tables on the patio in the garden, and other tables on another streetside patio. We have stayed in several other hotels in Ashland before this one was built, and this is far superior to any others we have been to.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
SJohnsonGM, General Manager at Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Thank you for the compliments. It is great to hear you come back every year. The nightly cookies and peanut butter jelly sandwiches are a must.
The puzzle area is extremely popular; we change the puzzle out frequently to offer something new to solve.
We look forward to your next visit at the Plaza.

Shannon Johnson
Plaza Inn and Suites at Ashland Creek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed at the Plaza Inn on Friday night, November 25, 2011 because we wanted a stay that was a little more than the ordinary since it was our anniversary. We wanted the King parlor but that wasn't available. So we settled on the parlor queen for $125.00. My wife was happy when she saw what we got. Then in the morning, she tried the shower and there was no hot water. When I heard that I decided to skip the shower. No harm there. I mentioned it to the desk while checking out and the clerk, acknowledging the hotel wide problem, instantaneously gave us a generous credit. They can't control whether hot water heaters go out. But they made me happy and satisfied when they compensated me for it. I would go back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Kent, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I've been coming to Ashland for over 26 years and have never had a worse experience than at the Plaza Inn. I made my reservation several weeks in advance. When I checked in, the front desk staff told me that my reservation had been cancelled over the phone by someone who had a name different than my own but who gave them my home address and reservation # as confirmation. WHAT?? Then they offered me a higher priced room if I "wanted it." I refused to pay the higher price and then they agreed to the room price from my original reservation. I was then given a substantially inferior room to the one I had reserved. This was a bizarre and unbelievable experience. I will never be staying at the Plaza Inn again and want to caution you about this scam so that you will not have to experience it yourself.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
SJohnsonGM, General Manager at Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Dear Maria-
On behalf of the Plaza Inn and Suites I apologize for the error that occurred with your reservation.

The hotel's policy is to confirm the last name and confirmation number of reservations prior to cancellation; I truly do not know how your reservation was cancelled.

Mistakes happen and obviously we failed to fulfill your expectations. I hope you will give us another chance to make this right.

I will personally make your reservation and take care of this for you.

Again, I appreciate your time.

Shannon Johnson
Plaza Inn and Suites at Ashland Creek
(541) 488-8900 ext. 3000
Benicia, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011 via mobile

I've been coming to the Plaza for years. I stay here on business and have brought my wife here for vacations at the Shakespeare festival.

The rooms are generously proportioned. The have a wonderful treat for theater goers that includes fresh baked cookies at 10:000 pm for those returning from a show.

The self serve breakfast is second to none. This morning they had Denver omlettes with real ham, made to order waffles, cereal and all the other goodies you'd expect. They also feature excellent coffee and a selection of more than half a dozen newspapers.

Did I mention free wifi? That's almost standard these days but upscale hotels still charge for it many places. Tha Plaza doesn't.

All the parking is covered! The staff is friendly and attentive. All in all, a great place.

• Stayed October 2011
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We had a great time in Ashland, including our stay at the Plaza. It was very near the downtown area and the theater; clean; comfortable; and with a very good breakfast of the 'usual' fare for this sort of establishment..cereals, an egg dish, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Worth a return trip.

Room Tip: The larger rooms are nice; and something looking south is the best.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Clean hotel, located one block from the downtown shops and restaurants. Super friendly, customer service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed at the Plaza Inn a few years ago, when it first opened. At the time, we thought it decent value, but not extraordinary. We remember it being better than many of the other places that we have stayed in town. So we booked into it again--nearly four months ahead of our visit. We got one of the last rooms available, so it is certainly popular with those visiting Ashland and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. On this visit, we got a similar room (Executive King on the lower level, which is actually near the Creek.) The room was clean, freshly painted, and relatively quiet--except at night when other guests returned from the theatre.

But the room is basically a slightly nicer than average motel room. The towels are pretty small and thin; the linens are basic. The pillows (despite the "menu") are really substandard and nothing special. The staff was accommodating, when asked, but did not go out of their way to do anything for the guests. The property comes with a free breakfast (always crowded, but pretty mediocre), wine on the weekends (tastes were free, but you pay for wine by the glass. But the wine was bad, so take a taste first!), and then milk and cookies at night--which was also crowded. It was all acceptable, but, when push comes to shove, it wasn't good value for money. We left ambivalent about the place, wishing for more, but glad that we stayed there rather than other places, where we know we would have gotten less.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek? Share your experiences!